Need a book on powder/bullets

I have been reloading .45 for a year (yup a newbie) and have started on other cal's (.38 spl. 357 mag in pistol and 223 and .308 in rifle). When it comes to target shooting, it is fairly easy to come up with a "yardstick" for best load... how tight a group did I get....

But, when I go for the next step and start with hunting ammo (and the MUCH more expensive bullets), how do I start to factor in all of the other variables? Speed, trajectory... ie a slow accurate bullet might not be worth a darn after 200yrds due to balistics and energy levels (or am I wrong???)

What I would like is a book that discusses all of these things so I can start the education process..

Any ideas??

Speer, Hornady and Sierra manuals are good places to start. My recommendation would be the Sierra manual. Lots of how and why there, and the exact info you may be looking for.

The Lee manual I can't recommend to a new reloader. Good reference for an experienced reloader, though. It just doesn't cover the basics and ballistics enough for a newbie reloader.

tnx.. my next door neighbor has the speer manual.. I thought it was just filled with loads... I'll ask him tonight if I can borrow it.

tnx

From my own experiences, shots over 100 yards are tough around New England. It will take a while to find what works in your situation and there is no better place to find this info than here. The past data others have used and personal info are a huge time saver since you will not be wasting the time and money on recipes that just won't go in your gun. I can't even begin to tell you how valuable that is to me. One day when you have it down another NOOB will come along and you will chime in and save him/her a great deal as well.

Post your results, I for one look forward to pics and info.

, how do I start to factor in all of the other variables? Speed, trajectory... ie a slow accurate bullet might not be worth a darn after 200yrds due to balistics and energy levels (or am I wrong???)

Hunting bullets are typically designed to operate within a velocity window. You want to stay within that. Accuracy is defined slightly differently for a hunting gun than a target gun. The important thing is that first cold bore shot as opposed top a five or ten shot group. I think most premium bullets will deliver good accuracy. Some will probably be very good though.

I would also get the Sierra manual. Much of the 4th and 5th edition manuals ballistics pages are online though. Check those out first, as they will probably answer a lot of questions.

Also do some research on Maximum Point Blank Range. Yow will want to figure out what that is for the ammunition you choose.

B

Also do some research on Maximum Point Blank Range. Yow will want to figure out what that is for the ammunition you choose.

B

Just got introduced to the term...by you....tnx... a 5 inch group at 200yrds may be great for a mullie, but not for a prairie dog.. I'm from Montana.. so it is not an east coast kinda distinction :) but ..I got it.... Define what you want to do with the round before you define accuracy..

ABC's of Reloading and the Lyman manual are both good. The Lee manual is basically a Lee infomercial with some loading data thrown in for good measure.

ABC's of Reloading and the Lyman manual are both good. The Lee manual is basically a Lee infomercial with some loading data thrown in for good measure.

I haven't found a better compilation of load data anywhere that is better than the Lee
Manual but you are right about it being an infomercial for Lee products. The Sierra book
(at least the one I have) is pretty good for info other than load data (it's pretty good for
that too.)

tnx guys.. borrowed the speer manual yeterday.. good articles in it.. I am going to maine this weekend and will stop by KTP and see whats up with the lee maual

You are correct on the Lee manual being full of load data. I am one of those guys that needs to understand why something works a certain way. Some of the other books give a little information as to why a certain weight bullet or burn rate of powder works best in that cartridge. Lee is more cold numbers. Still a good resource and in the Lee tradition, the lowest priced.

Back
Top Bottom