• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need a belt for training

I am taking some training classes over the next couple of months and am looking for belt suggestions. I will be taking both Carbine and pistol classes so I am looking for a belt that can hold some weight i.e. multiple AR and pistol mags. Ideally it would not be a "battle belt" but a belt that I can run for classes as well as USPSA. Any and all suggestions would be appreciated

Safariland ELS with quick disconnects. It's $$$ up front, but down the road as you compete in different classes where once magazine might be double stack and the other single as well as the to when you get into 3 gun (you will) makes adapting to the stage easier and quicker without having to take everything off.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are nylon belts good for conceal and range use? Nylon belts similiar to what the military uses. I normally wear them since they are fully adjustable as far as size and fitting go

A few companies make very stiff nylon "riggers" type belts. I have two Wilderness Tactical belts that I wear daily. One is a 5-stitch and one has the plastic insert. Both fully adjustable....I can cinch it to my natural waist for pocket or OWB carry or carry IWB and cinch it down snug outside the holster.

You might as well get the original and still the best, especially since it costs less than most of the others.

If you want something lighter than the original, but just as tough, check out the frequent flyer version. The buckle is nylon rather than steel and it is much much lighter. No , you can't rappel out of a helicopter with the nylon buckle version. But its plenty strong for everything else.

Don

One other thing. You can't really compare the Wilderness Tactical belts to the Double Alpha belts. The DA belts are have an inner and outer section, very stiff and thick, and are the best for a competition shooter. The Wilderness belt is a great gun belt that you might also wear on a day when you aren't carrying a gun. Its just a great belt.

The DA belt is only suitable for competition or fairly hard core training use.

Both are the best in their respective categories. I'm just not quite sure which is more of what you are looking for.

Last edited:
The standard for USPSA belts are the Double Alpha acedemy or CR speed inner/outer velcro belts.
http://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=CRSPBLT-BLK&n=
http://www.speedshooter.com/product_detail.cfm?id=DACBS-BLK&n=

The ELS belt is on par with the above, but the initial cost may be more, with the benefit of modularity.
Whatever you do, get a system that will not require you too thread your gear and your belt loops on the same belt every time you put it on/take it off.

+1 Just got the Double Alpha Competition Belt from Shooters Connection. It is STIFF. Getting the mag holders and holster on was tough, but they're not moving. The inner/outer belt works great, and for USPSA, it meets the belt loop rule. Shooters Connection has most items in stock and usually ships the same day.

Very satisfied.

+1 for shooters connection. They also sell their own 2 part belt for $40. Can't beat that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are nylon belts good for conceal and range use? Nylon belts similiar to what the military uses. I normally wear them since they are fully adjustable as far as size and fitting go
I'm not familiar with them. Check out the wilderness instructor belt. Get the reinforced version.

As Don mentioned, the Double Alpha belt is great for competition, but not usable for concealed carry.

Ive used a Wilderness Instructor 5 stitch belt (slightly reinforced for 5 dollars extra) at all sorts of pistol and carbine classes, along with a number of matches. And the belt still works great 8 years later. I know im not the first to recommend this belt, maybe for good reason.

It is also a great belt for everyday use. Not too obtrusive at all. I will keep it on after I get home from a match and not even notice it.

Last edited:
Eh I have an HSGI rigger's belt that was a lot more expensive than my Elite CO, and they're basically identical.

They used to be cheaper, but still not bad at $60 -- http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007Y8IQRA?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_search_detailpage

This. I've gone through a bunch. The cobra is my go to belt for building any gun setup. Whether you run it bare or use it inside a battle belt.

If you want a regular leather belt, buy a Crossbreed. Going 8 years on two of mine. Wearing like iron.

Bought a belt with a cobra style buckle thinking it could replace my Wilderness belt. With a machined and anodized buckle, it looked pretty nice and snapped open and closed positively. I'm sorry I can't remember the brand. It was nicely made, stiff and the buckle was very cool. I should say buckle'S. Because there is a buckle on each end and one snaps into the other.

It wasn't until I tried to thread the buckle through the loops on my jeans that I realized I had a problem. In short, I couldn't do it. The buckle on what would normally be the belt end was too big to thread through the loops. I ended up selling it to a friend.

Belts with these buckles can look nice and work well, but be aware that these generally don't work on normal pants without "tactical" belt loops.

Don

51d-oJw3bTL._AA160_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom