Need .310" diameter bullets for your SKS, etc.?

SKS bores typically oversized? Most Mosins I have had shot best with .310" to .312". Seems like AK's are generally OK with .308" but I had no idea SKS's might need bigger.

To my knowledge, most load manuals call for a .310" diameter bullet for the 7.62x39mm. I have read that some older Mini-Thirty's have a .308" bore, but I'm not that familiar with all of the details.
Hornady Third lists .308" diameter bullets for 7.62x54mm, but that is an oddity or mistake, IMO.
About all Soviet bloc 7.62mm ammo, that I'm aware of, uses the .310/,311" bullets.
If slightly undersized bullets work okay, I don't think there's any major issue about using them. Heck, I run .355/.356" bullets regularly in my GP100 (.38 Spl./.357 Mag.); no issues whatsoever.

Interesting! I built an AK but figure reloading 7.62x39 for an AK is a bit like reloading 22LR, LOL. One must ask why? Cheaper to buy steel case combloc ammo.

I do think the SKS is capable of reasonable accuracy. My brother had one that shot as good or better than an old Colt AR I had (and sold).

Agreed; slug any bore for best fit.
Also agreed; reloading 7.62x39mm doesn't make a whole lot of economic sense with affordable steel-cased ammo available..
I find the 123 grainers make for decent plinking rounds in the 7.62x54R, .303 British, 7.7 Japanese and even the 7.65 Argentine. They will be about all that's out there for my friend's vz 52 (7.62x45mm), as well.

Back
Top Bottom