• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need 1911 help

Ok so I just put together a basket case that my brother gave me and I think the sear spring got tweaked. He gave me his old 1911 and I ordered a new spring and pin kit for it and put it back together. But i must have tweaked the sear spring a little because the beaver tail safety doesn't work. I can pull trigger and release the hammer without pushing in grip safety. Can i tweak one of the three fingers one the spring ti get it to work again?

hard to say without seeing it. but if the grip safety used to work (meaning it would prevent the hammer from falling when its not depressed) and the ONLY thing changed was the sear spring, it may just be the spring or how it was put together. The grip safety, when the gun is not being held, has to be pushed back so the "foot" sits in the way of the trigger stirrup.

You could try putting more of a bend in the right most leaf of the spring - the one that holds the grip safety back. For that leaf of the sear spring, you cant really over do it, well, you can go too far, but not really. When the grip safety is pressed and released, it should positively be pushed back out when you let go. It should have some slight pressure to do so - driven by the sear spring. If no material has been taken off the grip safety "foot" (the part that pushes on the trigger stirrup preventing motion) then it should still work. Try putting a greater bend in that leaf - thus keeping the grip safety rearward when the gun is not held in a shooting position - and the foot in the way of the trigger stirrup - and see if that works. If that does not, you may need a new grip safety and fit the "foot." Also note, when the grip safety is not depressed - and you press the trigger with the hammer cocked, there should be slight to NO movement of the trigger, and def NO movement of the sear and hammer. Alternatively, subtle changes to how the sear is shaped can have a big impact on how the sear, disconnector, hammer, and grip safety all fit together to function. Good luck.

ETA: sorry, got some terminology wrong. Also might want to try dissaembling and reassembling the entire thing. Sometimes, despite lots of practice and familiarity, we assemble the things a little out of whack. Trying again - or rebooting - sometimes works.

This is a picture of the engagement of stirrup and grip safety. This would represent when the gun is not being held, and the grip safety is being pushed back, so the foot is down, in the way of the stirrup. When the gun is held for firing, the grip safety (and what I am calling its foot) is pushed up and out of the way of the stirrup.

images

Come to think of it, it could also be that even with the grip safety foot in the way, the trigger stirrup may travel far enough before it hits to foot to hit the sear and drop the hammer. That situation would require some new parts me thinks. Hard to tell.

Last edited:
Well I did put a new main spring housing and new internals in the main housing. Could that be the problem? My bro is mailing me out the old main spring assembly so I can try that. He was telling me that the gs worked fine before he stripped it down. I made a video here is the link any help would be greatly appreciated. Also the sear spring has not been replaced its the one that came with the gun. thank you

Last edited:
You sure it work before you worked on it?

It sounds like the grip safety isn't blocking the trigger . Bending the sear spring finger may help, but the grip safety can only go so far back until it's stopped by the MSH.

You may be able to peen the grip safety so it will block the trigger .

Just figured I would chim back in and let you guys know it was the new mainspring housing. It was a little thicker at the top where it meets the safety and was keeping the safety ingaged. I'm putting the old one back in for now but, when I have a some time I'll hit the new one with the dremal and shave a 16th off. That should do it. Thanks for the help.

Just figured I would chim back in and let you guys know it was the new mainspring housing. It was a little thicker at the top where it meets the safety and was keeping the safety ingaged. I'm putting the old one back in for now but, when I have a some time I'll hit the new one with the dremal and shave a 16th off. That should do it. Thanks for the help.

It sounds like about 30 seconds with a file might solve your problem, if I'm understanding it right. When people say "dremel" in relation to the grip safety, I get scared. [grin]

Back
Top Bottom