• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Need 10-22 advice.

I am however, not that knowledgeable in the workings of the ruger 10-22 action and how to troubleshoot one. Therefore, I ask for help.

One of my 10-22's has been having recurring issues with what I believe to be a light firing pin strike. Sometimes (and often on the first trigger pull, but not always) it just goes click. I drop the magazine and cycle the bolt until the misfired round extracts (usually on two or three bolt cycles). Sometimes there is what I consider a firing pin strike (albeit a lightly defined one)on the case, but today there didn't appear to be a strike at all on the cases that misfired.

Cleary this smells like a light firing pin strike, but it's only happening once to a few times in 50-ish rounds. And...why do I usually have to cycle the bolt more than once (sometimes four or five cycles( to get the misfired round extracted?

The ammo I have recently been using and noticing the problems on are: CCI Mini-Mag, Remington Match, Remington Thunderbolt, and Aguila Super Performance.

What problem(s) do I seem to have and best way to fix them?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help.

I am however, not that knowledgeable in the workings of the ruger 10-22 action and how to troubleshoot one. Therefore, I ask for help.

One of my 10-22's has been having recurring issues with what I believe to be a light firing pin strike. Sometimes (and often on the first trigger pull, but not always) it just goes click. I drop the magazine and cycle the bolt until the misfired round extracts (usually on two or three bolt cycles). Sometimes there is what I consider a firing pin strike (albeit a lightly defined one)on the case, but today there didn't appear to be a strike at all on the cases that misfired.

Cleary this smells like a light firing pin strike, but it's only happening once to a few times in 50-ish rounds. And...why do I usually have to cycle the bolt more than once (sometimes four or five cycles( to get the misfired round extracted?

The ammo I have recently been using and noticing the problems on are: CCI Mini-Mag, Remington Match, Remington Thunderbolt, and Aguila Super Performance.

What problem(s) do I seem to have and best way to fix them?

Thanks in advance for any advice/help.
How long has it been since you cleaned it well? The 10-22 has a reputation for running fine when dirty......but you could have some shit inside the bolt that is keeping the firing pin from striking hard. Just a guess.

I would say something is preventing the bolt from going fully into battery. This could explain the light strikes and the failure to extract. Give that thing a good, complete cleaning.

How long has it been since you cleaned it well? The 10-22 has a reputation for running fine when dirty......but you could have some shit inside the bolt that is keeping the firing pin from striking hard. Just a guess.
This was my first thought. Crud in the corners of the bolt face or in the chamber where the cartridge rim nests would soften the strike.

+1 for clean it well.

When in doubt, simply replace the firing pin spring. They’re cheap enough to have a spare available.

Look at this on eBay
Volquartsen Ruger 10/22 Bolt Tune-Up Kit: Enhanced Extractor & Firing Pin VC10FE

Look at this on eBay
NEW bolt refresh kit for Ruger 10/22 - firing pin, extractor, springs, plunger

Gonna say clean it too. My ruger Mark III eats ammo, until it doesn't. For that particular gun, the "hole" that the extractor goes into when in battery has to be cleaned out very diligently every once in a while, otherwise it just won't work right. Light strikes and spotty extraction. It just gets really gunked up in there. Took me forever to figure it out. I use a plastic dental looking tool to really get at it. Have not had an issue since I figured it out.

If you have to cycle the bolt a couple of times to extract the cartridge it sounds like a tight chamber? Could be occasionally not seating all the way and the firing pin is pushing it the rest of the way causing a light strike. This happens with my Kidd barrel when it gets dirty. As suggested, a good cleaning with a good chamber scrub.

Chamber is dirty. In semiauto .22s, the blowback action causes a ring of hardened carbon and primer residue to form right around the case mouth. As it builds up it prevents the round from chambering completely allowing the case rim to stand slightly away from the breech face of the barrel. The light strike happens because the firing pin pushes the case rim but doesn't crush it. Clean the chamber with a good carbon removing solvent and a brass brush, or by scrubbing with JB Bore Paste on a tight-fitting patch.

Welcome Oxide!
Good advice above. Let us know if a thorough cleaning improves your situation.
~Enbloc

Welcome to the forum Oxide!
If all else fails, move to NH, throw their keys on the roof, bang their wife and upper decker on their toilet![smile]

Those are the standard fixes when you have tried everything else![rofl2]

I don't clean my 10 22 very often but when I do, I notice lots of crud in there. The semi and full autos can be fussy and don't seem to tolerate being dirty as well as bolt or lever guns. I'd do as others have suggested and give it a thorough cleaning. It won't cost anything but a little elbow grease and will probably solve both problems.

Sounds like your extractor is failing to grab the rim.
How old is this 22?
All my friends with 10/22s that have issues tend to over lube , that lube just collects that gritty mess 22lr loved to make.
If the rifle is older go head and give it a good cleaning and while the bolt is out rebuild it.

Back
Top Bottom