• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Neck or Full Sizing

About to get into reloading. Thinking about a Lee turret press for 44 mag and 308.

For 308, it will be for a Rem 700 LTR as my precision rifle, and a M1A that I don’t expect to be as accurate. I think I can’t use neck sizing for two different rifles. But can I use a full sizer taylored for my 700 and use that for my M1A as long as the chamber is equal to or shorter than the 700?

About to get into reloading. Thinking about a Lee turret press for 44 mag and 308.

For 308, it will be for a Rem 700 LTR as my precision rifle, and a M1A that I don’t expect to be as accurate. I think I can’t use neck sizing for two different rifles. But can I use a full sizer taylored for my 700 and use that for my M1A as long as the chamber is equal to or shorter than the 700?
Don't try to get cute with loading for both.
Get a nice set of dies for the 700 and set them up for that rifle
Then just get a FL die and bullet seater for the M1a like a lee set. The Lee dies will load as accurate as ammo as your M1a can most likely shoot. The cost of dies will out weigh any aggravation trying to load for 2 different 308s with different needs with one die set.....

For a semi auto you will want to full length resize. For a bolt gun you can neck resize. You’ll eventually need to full length resize those as well though, eventually they stretch enough to become difficult to chamber and/or extract. So as always the right answer is buy both.

And they told you reloading would save you money! [rofl]

Basically the answer is yes. If I were going to do that I would take some fired brass from the 700 and then resize in very small adjustments until it would chamber in the M1A. Then I would resize and reload a 20rd mag at that setting and make sure they run well.

Basically you just want to be careful because if you don't use brass separated by head stamp you'll have a hard time doing a set and forget.

If you want to use any kind of brass or leave it mixed I'd just size it back to stock and work the seating depth to one that work as best in the 700 and still fits in the M1A mag.

Now my 2 cents on what you are doing. Personally I don't think most people can get a measurable difference by neck sizing only. I can load ammo pushing my brass back to stock that will out perform me even on all but a great day and I consider myself a decent shot. On a perfect day I can shoot a 10rd 4" group at 300yds with a Savage 10FP and scope. Most days its kind of a 5" group with 1-2 fliers. The ammo just isn't a factor in daily performance, the shooter is. So ask yourself if you're better spending the time practicing or fiddling with brass.

Working the brass less extends its reloading lifetime by reducing cracks. That's probably the number 1 reason to limit sizing over any other factor including accuracy for 99% of shooters.

ETA: I have 308 bolt guns and an M1A. I full resize back to.slec and never reload anything longer than mag length for the M1A. I want all my bullets to function in all my guns.

For a semi auto you will want to full length resize. For a bolt gun you can neck resize. You’ll eventually need to full length resize those as well though, eventually they stretch enough to become difficult to chamber and/or extract. So as always the right answer is buy both.

And they told you reloading would save you money! [rofl]
Im not sure when I start saving but im still spending the same per year shooting?

Don't try to get cute with loading for both.
Get a nice set of dies for the 700 and set them up for that rifle
Then just get a FL die and bullet seater for the M1a like a lee set. The Lee dies will load as accurate as ammo as your M1a can most likely shoot. The cost of dies will out weigh any aggravation trying to load for 2 different 308s with different needs with one die set.....

So if I go the two die route, should I go full length or neck only for the 700 dies?

Get a full length die for both and a neck sizing die for the 700. Brand is up to you.

Lee sells a 4 die set that has both. I like their factory crimp die.

Get a full length die for both and a neck sizing die for the 700. Brand is up to you.

Lee sells a 4 die set that has both. I like their factory crimp die.

If you have to full length size eventually anyway, why not just do that all the time instead of switching between neck and FL? Pardon my ignorance.

If you resize the neck only your brass is fire formed to your chamber by the initial firing. It’s a perfect fit. This helps both with accuracy and extends case life. You are working the brass less.

Every chamber is slightly different so neck sized brass is pretty much specific to the rifle it was fired from.

Semi autos should be full length resized to facilitate feeding and extracting.

Bolt guns you can muscle a bit of the case is a tight fit. After a few firings it will get tight enough that a full length resizing is advisable.

I have a Lee 4 hole turret I've loaded about 20k rounds of .223 on. It can need some love occasionally, but it certainly works.

If I bought a new press I'd buy a 650. After buying my square deal for 9mm about 5 years ago I realize why people love Dillon.

I have had good luck with my 2 Lee presses. I have the single stage o type which is fine for bolt guns and working up test loaders for handguns. I also have the 4 hole turret press which I use for handgun and .223. It’s not as fast as a progressive but I can go relatively fast with if. Maybe eventually I’ll go to a progressive.

So if I go the two die route, should I go full length or neck only for the 700 dies?
personally i would just get a complete set . For the 700. Leave notes right in the box.
i have a die set for my M1a my 308 garand and 2 die sets for 30-06 1 for garand other for the 1903a3 sniper.
a mix of hornady ,lee and RCBS.
This is what works for me.

also i would say get a single stage press to resize your 308.
I wont say the lee turret press wont do the job BUT a single stage Press will be much better for FL sizing especially if your M1a has a generous chamber.

I agree with above. I resize .308 on a RCBS Rock Chucker. I also have a RCBS partner I will use for .223 resizing in large batches of new to me brass.

The sizing question has pretty well been covered.
My experience is that the basic Lee presses (Challenger, etc.) are adequate, but very minimal in construction. Small mounting base area, white metal components and so forth don't lend for lengthy service. I gave up with mine after several replacements of the handle mounts and what not.
Lee dies are a good value and have the shell holder included. You may find other brands have more top punches included, shims and a more desirable lock ring construction, but that's a personal liking. Decap pin construction is also a factor to consider (solid, one-piece or replaceable pin variety).

For those of you reloading for your M1A, what do you use for primers? I know I'm probably opening a can of worms, but ever have any problems with slam fires? (OP, Sorry about hijacking your thread)

I thought this thread was going to be about this:

Mugshot of Florida Man With Large Neck Goes Viral

BBPKHxl.img

I find annealing to be the solution to most brass wear issues, that and not running your ammo unnecessarily hot.

For 303 British I got the Lee neck sizing set, then an "RGB" Lee full length set. It was only $20 on Amazon since it's just two dies and no shell holder, but you get those with the neck sizing kit anyway. The RGB comes with just FL sizer and seating die.
Thus, I have, for about $55:
- Neck Sizer
- Full sizer
- Shell Holder
- Two seating dies (can setup for different depths and/or projectiles)
- Crimp die

For me it was the most economical way to be able to do both. I think the FL die was $15+ shipping by itself from Lee, so for $5 and free prime shipping on Amazon I just ordered the RGB set anyway.

I like neck sizing since you don't need lube, extends brass life and is very quick. I feel like I can neck size at 3x the speed or maybe faster.
I do need to add neck sizers for 7.62x54R, 8mm Mauser and (probably) 30-06. So, if anyone has a good source/vendor/idea on how to get just those dies for $20-30 or less each, I'm all ears.

personally i would just get a complete set . For the 700. Leave notes right in the box.
i have a die set for my M1a my 308 garand and 2 die sets for 30-06 1 for garand other for the 1903a3 sniper.
a mix of hornady ,lee and RCBS.
This is what works for me.

also i would say get a single stage press to resize your 308.
I wont say the lee turret press wont do the job BUT a single stage Press will be much better for FL sizing especially if your M1a has a generous chamber.

Why is a single stage better for FL sizing? Isn’t really up to the dies? Or is the single stage somehow more accurate than the turret? Dont have a ton of bench space so I’m probably limited to just one press.

For those of you reloading for your M1A, what do you use for primers? I know I'm probably opening a can of worms, but ever have any problems with slam fires? (OP, Sorry about hijacking your thread)
What ever large rifle primers are on sale when I need to stock up

Why is a single stage better for FL sizing? Isn’t really up to the dies? Or is the single stage somehow more accurate than the turret? Dont have a ton of bench space so I’m probably limited to just one press.
My bench is 30” wide you need to get some sort of quick change mount going on.

I had issues with my Hornady LNL progressive press flexing while resizing rifle brass. This lead to inconsistent sizing. Once I bought a Lee classic cast single stage press, that seemed to have disappeared. I just have the SS press dedicated to resizing.

All this neck sizing talk has me wondering if I should be doing it for 7.5x55 swiss....I can't really do it for 30-06 as I use the same ammo for my Garand and A3. But only have one rifle in 7.5x55...Brass ain't cheap so if it extends the life that would be great. I already spent $100 on Redding K31 dies a few years ago....

Then again it doesn't get shot all that much so maybe I don't really need to bother...

All this neck sizing talk has me wondering if I should be doing it for 7.5x55 swiss....I can't really do it for 30-06 as I use the same ammo for my Garand and A3. But only have one rifle in 7.5x55...Brass ain't cheap so if it extends the life that would be great. I already spent $100 on Redding K31 dies a few years ago....

Then again it doesn't get shot all that much so maybe I don't really need to bother...
Can you chamber a fired case? I have to do minimal set back on my fired brass. Neck size only I can’t always get the bolt closed. The straight pull bolts don’t have that extra force to cram a snug case into the chamber like a good old Mauser a tion

Back
Top Bottom