Neat Idea!

Not sure if this belongs in Training, or Training Techniques, or here in General Discussion.

The latest (Oct/Nov 2006) issue of HANDGUNS is out.

There is a review of the PRACTICAL FUNDAMENTALS COMPETITION COURSE that was taught by Bruce Gray at the Sigarms Academy last March, written by a Mike Briggs, who is apparently an old buddy of said Bruce Gray.

I cracked up when I read the following:

Bruce had introduced me to this same drill about 16 years ago. We were scheduled to attend a practical pistol match in Long Beach, California, and I was bemoaning my lack of practice on the day prior to the shoot. Seeing my distress, Bruce told me that he had just the ticket to fix the situation, and he headed out the door. He returned a little while later with a smile on his face and handed me a VHS copy of the original Dawn of the Dead movie.

"What's this for?" I asked.

"We're going to dry fire while watching the movie. It never fails," was his reply.

We got out our pistols, checked to make sure that they were clear and spent the better part of two hours doing the dry fire drill I described earlier. I soon discovered that there's nothing quite like the specter of flesh-eating zombies to really get on your front sight and smoothly operate the trigger. By the end of the film, I was totally exhausted. The next day at our match, Bruce came in first and I took second.

What A Neat Idea!

I'm not a big fan of zombie flicks - what can I say, it's a character flaw of mine - but the advent of DVDs that allow you to go to specific scenes should let you use a LOT of your favorite movies for this. Shooting Nazgul on Weathertop and Orcs in Osgiliath come immediately to mind.

I thought I'd throw the floor open for suggestions of other favorite scenes that would work for this training technique.

Regards
John

In God I Trust. Everyone else keep your hands where I can see them!

Last edited:
I have done that, I usually pick something that will show up suddenly as a target/cue. Sometime's it ties, cankles, and incredibly abused/overused phrase, it really depends on the film. The computer screen does a great job of lighting up my new dawson fiber-optic FS. It also helps pass the time when my wife forces me to watch a chick flick. She hates it because it cuts into her cuddle.

Back
Top Bottom