1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Nearly 1 million California's homes & businesses Electricity shut off over fire hazard

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by TC McQuade, Oct 8, 2019.

1. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

they DO monitor transmission lines like that. But it is not a simple thing to "turn off" the power in a hurry. For one thing, it is a giant estimation theory problem to even know what is happening. The transmission lines, act like distributed "transmisssion lines"...with reflections, time delays, frequency dispersion....

I remember a buddy went to the National Speleological Society party down south once. They had a GIANT bonfire, like 50' tall. It was nearby to a power line, and the heat from the fire made the line droop. The power company detected the droop and sent out a crew to figure out what was going on. And this was in the 1980's. Imagine today the sensor technology.

AHM likes this.
  2. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

...so a reasonable person could conclude it wasn't about that.

The places that had their power cut don't vote Donk. Ergo... [thinking]

drgrant and xjma99 like this.
  3. Picton

Picton NES Member

Does not compute.

Why was the party above ground?

4. Broccoli Iglesias

Broccoli Iglesias NES Member

That explains. I am glad they are doing it then. I would do the same if I was in their place, f*** the state.

5. AntiHippie

AntiHippie

A second is a long time if you saw how dry it is out here right now - and where I’m at isn’t even in the shutoff area. Couple 100-110 degree bone dry days and some high winds and the smallest, briefest spark is all it takes.

6. mu2bdriver

mu2bdriver NES Member

Not the best picture but this is what the fire looked like from the air earlier today. I couldn’t pan out or get a good pano shot but the northwest surface winds were blowing the smoke southeast to at least the Clovis area. Lights are still on where I am.

Attached Files:

mibro likes this.
  7. cockpitbob

cockpitbob NES Member

I'm there right now. I work remote for a company about 15 miles east of Oakland and they think I can fix a problem their in-house people can't, so with 18hrs notice I'm 3 time zones away from home.

Ten yeas ago we returned to our roots in MA after 27 years in CA. My only regret is we didn't leave sooner, but at least we got out just before things hit the knee in the curve and got exponentially insane.

I flew into San Jose instead of San Fran because I didn't have the human-turn map app in my phone. Gas is $4.40/g here!!!! They have diamond lanes where you can use them solo if you pay extra or have a non-gas powered car (plug-in or H2): so the privileged wealthy have an OK commute while the serfs sit in a linear parking lot. On Orwell's farm some animals are more equal than others. Also, no free bags at the grocery store: bring your own or pay for paper ones (no plastic). But what really pisses me off is they had power outages today and somehow that f***ed up my hotel reservation, so I arrive at 9:00pm (midnight my body's time) and all they have is a smoking room for $60/night more. I didn't think smoking rooms existed in CA anymore. I'm resting-up for the tantrum I'm going to throw at the front desk in the a.m. Meanwhile, if power outages prevent me from fixing the problem before my flight Saturday a.m. you'll probably be reading about me in the papers.

xjma99, M1911 and mu2bdriver like this.
  8. smokey-seven

smokey-seven NES Member

Tesla is advising owners to charge it up soon.

Gees... great time to own a Tesla. I suppose gas stations will close due to not being able to pump gas.

9. new guy

new guy NES Member

Right, it wasn’t. It’s about the fact that PG&E hasn’t done any of the necessary tree maintenance to keep the lines clear of fall hazards despite having had a year to do it.

10. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

Maintenance isn't sexy.

11. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

Tree Maintenance?
    In Tree-Huger Heaven???
    Not very likely.

12. new guy

new guy NES Member

Or cheap, especially when you’re bankrupt.

On a side note, the litigation around the fires is the most complicated I’ve ever heard of.

13. Greg

Greg

Its like RT9 here.

M1911 and dingbat like this.
  14. mu2bdriver

mu2bdriver NES Member

Kind of like what Eversource/CL&P ignored for over ten years prior because ‘the trees’ and then after a couple of nasty storms they went full on slash and burn.

15. Uzi2

Uzi2 NES Member

Yes, but one 5kw diesel or gasoline generator can run a gas pump/s to service how ever many cars until the station's tanks are dry....people would have birthdays waiting to charge their Tesla under similar circumstances.

16. blindfire

blindfire NES Member

This is why I refused to jump on the solar bandwagon when my town was picked a few years ago. If the grid needs to be up in order for my solar setup to work, I'm not interested.

dingbat likes this.
  17. TC McQuade

TC McQuade NES Member

Reported cell towers are shutting Down. As battery backups run dry.

AHM likes this.
  18. boatman

boatman

Tesla powerwall. 13.5Kwh. Hook your solar to this, not the just the grid.

19. mav

mav NES Member

If you're right out of school or in your early to mid 20's and looking to get the experience on the resume, it's fine. If you're an established techie working anywhere else in the US with maybe the exception of NYC, it's a huge downgrade in terms of quality of life as the salary/bonus/equity is likely not worth it unless you're at the executive level. I get offers to relocate all the time and dismiss them out of hand... and it's not like the Boston area is cheap. Personally, I can't wait to move to flyover and be done with all of this.

cockpitbob and M1911 like this.
  20. boatman

boatman

If you are young and looking for an active lifestyle and are in high tech, it is a great place to be. If you enjoy outdoor activities, say hiking, camping, running, biking, boating etc., you can do this all year round, no 0 degree days etc. If you are looking to build up a resume, again, a great place to be, it is WAY more dynamic than here in the NorthEast. Way more companies, way easier to move, really exciting projects. Yup, housing is really expensive, standard way to live is 3 people in a 2 bedroom apt, one turns the living room into a bedroom. So no living space. But again, at 25, you work 8-10 hours a day, commute another 1-2 hours, and then spend your free time not in your apartment but doing things.

If you are 40 and raising a family, unless you are willing to drive far to work, it is very difficult even if you and your wife are both in high tech making 175k a piece. $1M gets you NOTHING in the top towns like Palo Alto. But many companies allow for off hour commuting as long as you put in the hours. Working at home is more popular here, there they have the large campuses and want people at them. That is why they have the free food, laundry, day care, etc.

21. jhblaze1

jhblaze1

big fire threat today. winds are supposed to pick up and it's bone dry.

PG&E doesn't want to be liable for another Camp Fire.

God I need to move the F out of this state.

M1911 likes this.
  22. namedpipes

namedpipes NES Member

And if you don't grid connect you don't get the tax credits and pay the full tab. And THEN you discover how much solar REALLY costs.

AHM likes this.
  23. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

But with slower speed limits and a traffic light every few blocks.

24. M1911

M1911 Moderator NES Member

We told you so....

Uzi2 and Waher like this.
  25. AHM

AHM NES Member

A while after Johnny Carson retired,
    he phoned in to Letterman for a remote interview.

DL:
    Hi Johnny, how's it going?​
    JC:
    Great, Dave - the mudslides have put out the wildfires.​

The Jargon File: El Camino Bignum

The road mundanely called El Camino Real, running along San Francisco peninsula. It originally extended all the way down to Mexico City; many portions of the old road are still intact. Navigation on the San Francisco peninsula is usually done relative to El Camino Real, which defines logical north and south even though it isn't really north-south in many places. El Camino Real runs right past Stanford University and so is familiar to hackers.

The Spanish word ‘real’ (which has two syllables: /ray·ahl´/) means ‘royal’; El Camino Real is ‘the royal road’. In the FORTRAN language, a real quantity is a number typically precise to seven significant digits, and a double precision quantity is a larger floating-point number, precise to perhaps fourteen significant digits (other languages have similar real types).

When a hacker from MIT visited Stanford in 1976, he remarked what a long road El Camino Real was. Making a pun on ‘real’, he started calling it ‘El Camino Double Precision’ — but when the hacker was told that the road was hundreds of miles long, he renamed it ‘El Camino Bignum’, and that name has stuck. (See bignum.)

[GLS has since let slip that the unnamed hacker in this story was in fact himself —ESR]

In the early 1990s, the synonym El Camino Virtual was been reported as an alternate at IBM and Amdahl sites in the Valley.

Mathematically literate hackers in the Valley have also been heard to refer to some major cross-street intersecting El Camino Real as “El Camino Imaginary”. One popular theory is that the intersection is located near Moffett Field — where they keep all those complex planes.​

It's not like it's France or anything.

Just wait until the gringos learn from the Crimaliens that
    obeying the law is for chumps...

Broccoli Iglesias and M1911 like this.
  26. Dadstoys

Dadstoys NES Member

Nope, it would take a 10 year study to make sure there were no spotted clams being endangered.

xjma99 likes this.
  27. mac1911

mac1911 NES Member

They are just preparing California for controlled black outs...soon to sweep the nation.

xjma99 likes this.
  28. allen-1

allen-1 NES Member

29. EC1

EC1 NES Member

okay, some one remind me why people move there for the climate? [devil2]

AHM likes this.
  30. AHM

AHM NES Member

It's a dry heat.

cockpitbob likes this.