• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

NE manufacturers & "gun valley"

What New England companies are currently making guns, gun parts, or ammunition which can be purchased by civilians in New England? I'll start:

CT:

MA:

ME:
  • Smith & Wesson (Walther pistols) [Houlton]
  • Bushmaster [Windham]

NH:

RI:

VT:

Lost New England manufacturers:

Oh, and where is "gun valley"? ... ... One person said the Connecticut River Valley from Springfield on down past Colt, Marlin and Winchester. But that leaves out the whole Blackstone Valley also of Worcester to the Narragansett bay, let alone northern NE

Coyote, I made a map based on your list.
Map

Last edited:
Smith & Wesson builds Walther pistols in Houlton, Maine, IIRC.
Gun Valley does indeed include Worcester and the Blackstone Valley where gunsmiths such as Ethan Allen got their start.
JT

A few updates

VT - Caspian and Essex (Hardwick)

Century is the importer in St Albans/Georgia(VT) GE (now General Dynamics, or whatever the current name is) do military contracts and built the Vulcan

Maine would have Bushmaster

Maremont and Saco did military contracts (M2 and M60)

No importers or distributors, just manufacturers. Is Maremont a mfg? Saco? Those both in Maine? Saco the city?

I'm mostly interested in rifles, shotguns, and handguns that the public does or used to be able to buy. (In the case of some, MA can't.)

Use the list as your example.

If it is currently making ones which can be purchased by civilians in New England, put "current". If it used to, put "gone".

I'll add them to the list at top. Thanks.

Last edited:
GE, Maremont and Saco don't/didn't make stuff you could "normally" buy (directly at least). If you're going to own an MG

Saco is the city/town, yes. IIRC, Maremont is nearby, but I'm just not sure.

Century is not just an importer, but also "hammers together" guns out of parts. I think that their trained monkeys work at the VT location, but Nickle would more likely know for sure.

They build CETMEs, SARs (now WASRs I think), etc.

ARMS makes mounts, mostly for .gov. They don't make guns.

You'd be shocked to see the place. It's not much bigger than my garage!!

LenS said:

You got that right. If you are trying to find the place you'll drive by twice before you see it.

What I find appalling is that there are gun manufacturers in MA, who pay taxes here, and whose employees pay taxes here, yet the stupid frickin' government won't allow their products for general sale without them bending over. I mean, realistically, why do they stay?

matt said:
Being local to NEF, I feel I should own one of thier guns, but I don't know anything about them. Do they have a good rep?

Matt

They're cheap guns and I think they're good value for the money. I have one of their slug guns. I paid about as much for the gun as a rifled barrel would cost for my Mossberg. It's accurate and locks up nice and tight.

There's a shop in Gardner, Match Shot Firearms, that carries a lot of NEF guns.

LenS said:

and
JuergenG said:
a.k.a. www,foxridgeoutfitters.com/
Been there and took some TC Contender parts which we couln't get here.

see:
Coyote33 said:
No importers or distributors, just manufacturers....

I'm mostly interested in rifles, shotguns, and handguns that the public does or used to be able to buy. (In the case of some, MA can't.)

Use the list as your example.

If it is currently making ones which can be purchased by civilians in New England, put "current". If it used to, put "gone".

I'll add them to the list at top. Thanks.

LenS said:
Century is not just an importer, but also "hammers together" guns out of parts. I think that their trained monkeys work at the VT location, but Nickle would more likely know for sure.

They build CETMEs, SARs (now WASRs I think), etc.

THe WASR's are made in Romania. SAR's are also, I think. They did build CETME's, G3 clone's and FAL's. Some of the FAL's were OK, others garbage. Check the receiver of any Century FAL. If it's an Imbel, you're OK, Hesse, pass on it.

One of my ex-coworkers went to work for them after he left here on a medical. He has since left there. He was a vehicle mechanic here, and not a real good one at that.

Troy Industries, Mossberg and corrections.

Troy Industries Inc located in Lee, MA, makes tactical accessories, such as BUIS and rail systems for AR-15s. They also make, their own line of tactical M4s using mostly their own products. http://www.troyind.com/shop/index.php?cPath=23

Mossberg & Sons Inc. Headquarterd in North Haven CT. I have no idea where their factory migh be located.

Corrections:
Ruger's headquarters is in Southport CT. They make their semi-auto pistols and rifles in Prescott AZ. All their other long guns and revolvers are made in Newport NH.

Savage is headquartered in CT, not Mass. Their factory is in Westfield Mass.

Last edited:
firtree said:
This is a great list. Can someone make this sticky and update the first page with the info?

I'd hate to see this all lost over time.

Just noticed...I'm gonna move this to Firearms, Equipment, & Ammo and make it a sticky.

lightbulb1976 said:
Here is another company in CT.

Chaparral Arms in Shelton Ct.
http://www.chaparralfirearms.com/
Interesting... it seems to be part of Charter Arms.
Chaparral Arms is a salute to the past—with recent roots.
A few years back Nick Ecker, owner of Connecticut-based Charter Arms, got together with a small group of Italian companies already producing finished firearms and firearm parts. They began to explore the idea of producing Old West replica firearms for the American market. Eventually this idea developed into a new company—Chaparral Arms.

Just like in the USA, Italy has its own version of Gun Valley—
a region where the noted Italian manufacturers have produced finely crafted firearms for generations. It is a region rich in gun-making tradition and talent. And it is here that Chaparral has set up shop.

Until now, Chaparral Arms have been sold exclusively in the European market, and have developed a strong following among European cowboy action shooters.

Now, to serve the North American market, Chaparral ships finished gun parts to Connecticut. Charter Arms’ craftsmen assemble the parts, assure strict quality control, and test-fire each weapon.

Chaparral combines Old World and New World craftsmanship—and a new tradition is born.

Saco Maremont

Saco is the town in which they were located and was used as short for Saco Defence. Maremont had bought them out in the early 80's. At that point they called themselves Saco-Maremont. I actually own one of the Sig p226 that were manufactured there during the XM9 trials. The slide of the gun is stamped SIG Maremont and the barrel is stamped Saco Defence. Hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom