NC - Neighbor's Full Auto Firing Range Is Target Of Concern

Weekend mornings, John Famolari's two young children love to play baseball and soccer in their spacious backyard - at least until their neighbor across the creek breaks out his machine guns.

In a wooded lot about 500 feet away, Dr. Michael Land regularly uses a Thompson submachine gun and other automatic weapons for target practice. The racket often makes it hard for Famolari and his wife to talk - and even harder for them to entertain guests at their 4,500-square-foot brick home.

What's worse, Famolari says, is the worry. When the gunfire starts, he calls his kids inside.

"You can never plan for an accident," says Famolari, a computer technician who in 2002 moved to Union County from New Jersey. "There's always the chance there will be a ricochet or a misfire. And I don't want it to be in my kids' direction when it happens.".....

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/20...nge-is-a-target-of-concern.html#ixzz19CU00qnO

Well, there's the problem...

Ignorance of the sheeple, why not go over and introduce themselves, I'm sure the Dr. would be more than willing to teach them to shoot.

Also the fact that the guy is shooting 500 ft away helps.

I fail to see how it could affect them having conversations in their home. 500ft away AND indoors?[bs1]

Typical, a builder buys some land near a shooting range (for cheap I bet) and thenen builds huge houses on the land and the new homeowners complain because they were ignorant of the fact that the range was there.

Move out if you dont like it. He was there first and legal.

It's not a shooting range. It's someone shooting on their own property, as it is legal in most of the country in unincorporated areas of counties.

A few problems with the article, first being that the Charlotte Observer is ultra-liberal and thus won't research all of the facts. Machine Guns, suppressors, SBR's, AOW's & DD's are legal in NC (SBS are not...go figure) to private citizens but the "reason" stated on the Form 1/Form 4 cannot be "for all lawful reasons". It can only be "for research & development" or "test & evaluation" only and any other reason will be rejected by the ATF examiner. Those are the only 2 reasons allowed by NC law but a resident doesn't have to be a business owner/employee to use those reasons. The NC AG is very anti-gun and has been trying to find a way to criminalize the private ownership of NFA and has told sheriffs to NOT sign off on NFA applications, but many still do. The AG HATES the trust/corperation "loophole" as it allows citizens to still apply even after a sheriff refuses to sign or to just go behind them from the get-go. There are thousands of NFA owners in NC (I'm one of them) and it would be impossible, and extremely costly, for the state to go after everyone.

A few problems with the article, first being that the Charlotte Observer is ultra-liberal and thus won't research all of the facts. Machine Guns, suppressors, SBR's, AOW's & DD's are legal in NC (SBS are not...go figure) to private citizens but the "reason" stated on the Form 1/Form 4 cannot be "for all lawful reasons". It can only be "for research & development" or "test & evaluation" only and any other reason will be rejected by the ATF examiner. Those are the only 2 reasons allowed by NC law but a resident doesn't have to be a business owner/employee to use those reasons. The NC AG is very anti-gun and has been trying to find a way to criminalize the private ownership of NFA and has told sheriffs to NOT sign off on NFA applications, but many still do. The AG HATES the trust/corperation "loophole" as it allows citizens to still apply even after a sheriff refuses to sign or to just go behind them from the get-go. There are thousands of NFA owners in NC (I'm one of them) and it would be impossible, and extremely costly, for the state to go after everyone.

I've never thought of North Carolina as being a particularly gun friendly state. Like you said, their AG is very anti gun and so are a lot of the big city mayors. They've also got a law that makes it illegal to take firearms or ammunition outside the home, even on your own property, during a state of emergency. North Carolina restricts carry, open and concealed, more than neighboring states. And you have to buy a permit from your local sheriff to purchase a handgun. Makes me glad I live in Virginia.

Back
Top Bottom