• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nazi 98/44 Mauser

Pilgrim

NES Member
RETIRED, at home or wherever I want to be
Just got this today. Couldn't pass it up. The stock has been refinished but the metal looks like it just came out of the refurb factory. Not completely matching numbers but I'd guess most weren't after being thru the war. This thing is beautiful. I'd been hoping to get one for my collection for some time and I'm glad I found this one. I need a cleaning rod and a bayo for it. They'll come in time.

I guess I can add one more caliber to the What caliber do you have postings !

98-1.jpg

98-2.jpg

98-3.jpg

98-4.jpg

98-5.jpg

98-6.jpg

98-7.jpg

98-8.jpg

Nice... a byf. Russian refurb? Hard to tell because it looks clean and not shellaced. Looks like a Yugo K98 sling. Some real German K98s w/out electro pencil marks are coming in these days.
Where'd ya get it? PM for price and info naturally.[wink]

No import marks. What would a Russian mark look like? There are several small one/2 character marks in the metal but nothing that looks obvious, they look like inspector marks.

The metal looks like it just came out of a bluing tank.

The stock looks like it's been varnished with a modern product as it's glossy but I don't think there's any shellac on it.

I might try to strip it and oil it up. Whaddaya think?

I got it at Stricklands in Berkeley. See my posting in the gunshops section for latest news about him.

No import marks. What would a Russian mark look like? There are several small one/2 character marks in the metal but nothing that looks obvious, they look like inspector marks.

The metal looks like it just came out of a bluing tank.

The stock looks like it's been varnished with a modern product as it's glossy but I don't think there's any shellac on it.

I might try to strip it and oil it up. Whaddaya think?

I got it at Stricklands in Berkeley. See my posting in the gunshops section for latest news about him.
Nice find, Dennis.

A typical Russian capture would have an "X" sort of mark on the left of the receiver near the serial. The Russian bluing is pretty black. If you take it out of the wood, you may find the original bluing there and clearly see where the Russian finish starts above the wood line.
The Russians also "blacked" the crossbolt in the stock and the bolt take down in the buttstock.
Some bolts have electric penciled serials.
The Russians varnished the wood, the Germans did not.

Maybe it is a bringback that somebody reblued and refinished. I would think about stripping the stock and re-oiling to make it closer to original. Nice find in any case.

These are the Russian capture rifles that have been coming in lately, I bought one, they have great bores and shoot nice.
ZHA sells them for 329.00 ?? give or take a few bucks.

To the Mauser purists these will never be like an all original matching number bringback but then again they are not a thousand bucks either!

Nice find, Dennis.

A typical Russian capture would have an "X" sort of mark on the left of the receiver near the serial. The Russian bluing is pretty black. If you take it out of the wood, you may find the original bluing there and clearly see where the Russian finish starts above the wood line.
The Russians also "blacked" the crossbolt in the stock and the bolt take down in the buttstock.
Some bolts have electric penciled serials.
The Russians varnished the wood, the Germans did not.

The only marks near the serial are the eagle and swastika.

Notice in the 3rd pic, the 4 7 in the barrel where it mates with the receiver. There are a few other smaller strange markings on the receiver that look like inspector marks. The bluing is very dark. The bolt and safety are stamped. No electro penciling anywhere.

The cross bolt is dark but the bolt takedown hole is brass.

I guess I'll have to take it apart to see what's on the underside.

Back
Top Bottom