" Navy SEAL arrested for firearms trafficking "

Doesn't everyone feel safer now? [thinking]

Oh noes, eeeeevil macheeeeen guns...... (insert moral panic here).

-Mike

I read that one in a different article, 1300 per AK and 300 per pistol...
Ruger handguns, im curious what Rugers are being used that would have been smuggled this way?
Not the brand I was expecting to read, thats all.

I'm a confirmed admirer of SEALs and all things SOF-- however, they obviously knew what they were doing was very illegal. So I won't argue the rules shouldn't apply just because someone's a SEAL. If they punch a terrorist? I applaud-- but trafficking automatic weapons back in the States? Stupid. Stupid. Stupid.

Pure dummassery... or is that asshattery? Either way, glad we found out we had a douche SEAL before someone actually got hurt (as opposed to the kittens and bunnies killed by the importation of evil machineguns... [rolleyes]).

Wow - twice in one night - at least he was professional enough to handle those weapons... [thinking]

Now if the gov'ment could work on those other arms dealers in the DEA, maybe we could make some headway on this Mexico problem? [laugh]

Drgrant - no moral outrage here - you know me and machine guns get alone just fine, but no sympathy for the guy at all and the rules should apply to him just as well as us - only he has access to all sorts of nasty toys we aren't trustworthy enough to own... Between access and the hazard of having someone like that potential subject to compromise, I am all for going after people who abuse their position and potentially put us or our armed forces at risk by providing a means of blackmailing/extorting them with their illegal or unethical behavior...

Like, say, Bill Clinton, who had a chance to wipe out Bin Laden during his presidency, but the Lewinsky scandal kept him from doing his job... (his explanation, not mine...)

Last edited:
No big deal, he was just importing some of Saddams fancy rifles

ATT00004.jpg

Drgrant - no moral outrage here - you know me and machine guns get alone just fine, but no sympathy for the guy at all and the rules should apply to him just as well as us -

I am not saying he should get a "pass" because he is a SEAL. I just think most of the laws regulating these "behaviors" are idiotic.

It'd be one thing if he was selling uncle sam's hardware- that's obviously theft... but the impression I get it was crap the insurgents leave behind when you kill them, or the guns that security contractors frequently trade in.

only he has access to all sorts of nasty toys we aren't trustworthy enough to own...

Well, sometimes. More often than not he's probably disarmed like everyone else is, especially while not in theater. Just because he is a SEAL doesn't mean the CO tosses him a set of keys and says "oh the armory is over there, knock yourself out". When it comes to stuff like that, DOD often doesn't trust people more than it can throw them. Course, who knows what level of access he has.... it could be
minimal, or he could somehow have more access than I realized....

Between access and the hazard of having someone like that potential subject to compromise, I am all for going after people who abuse their position and potentially put us or our armed forces at risk by providing a means of blackmailing/extorting them with their illegal or unethical behavior...

Without knowing the full context of what was going on, it's hard to pass judgment. If his conduct is some real liability relevant to his service, then they should court martial him for it. For all we know these guys could have been
trying to make some quick cash by selling stuff to some guy who was a "gun collector". Who knows what the ATF agent/CI was posing as.

I bet he will plea it down and serve much less than 5 years.

More than likely, possibly even less than a year. but his career is toast and he's going to end up a prohibited person.

ETA: After finding the article I linked below, I rescind this... he's probably screwed, with all the counts....

-Mike

Last edited:
The plot thickens....

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/storie..._SEAL?SITE=WCNC&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

LAS VEGAS (AP) -- Federal agents seized five pounds of C-4 military explosives from the Colorado home of a man accused with a Navy SEAL and a Las Vegas associate of smuggling machine guns from Iraq into the U.S. for sale and shipment to Mexico, authorities said Thursday.

Grenades and night-vision goggles also were found in the Durango, Colo., home of 34-year-old Richard Paul, according to federal prosecutors and federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives agents in Las Vegas and Colorado.

I guess this is probably a hell of a lot more than a few machine guns....

Bickle is accused in a criminal complaint of smuggling 80 AK-47 weapons from Iraq or Afghanistan, including factory-made 7.62 mm Iraqi machine guns that would be difficult or impossible to trace. Other weapons included Ruger handguns of the type used by U.S. military police officers.

This wasn't a flash in the pan. From the sounds of it, the guy might have stolen US hardware, too...

-Mike

Last edited:
I guess they need some extra cash .. The military don't paid them well.. hmm.. I don't know.. How can they take it back to the state from Iraq ?

[rolleyes]

do you honestly think those that choose to serve beyond a first enlistment are in it for the money?

within the spec ops community, which btw, i deployed with.... are filled with dedicated individuals. you'd be surprised what a 12 man ODA team can do.

like any other profession, it has it's cheese dicks that are in for themselves... this SEAL is an example "i'm gonna make me some monay" $$$$

he threw away countless opportunities...

How can they take it back to the state from Iraq ?

you have no comprehension... [rolleyes]

Wait... according to the gov't, its always been mexican drug dealers crossing the boarder into the US to buy assault rifles legally and then smuggling them back to mexico... Do you mean to tell me the anti-gun lefties are lying? Outrageous!

Back
Top Bottom