• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Navel Jelly in the Bore???

I know i will get a good response on this one!!
has anyone ever been so frustrated at cleaning a DARK-BORE that thay tried
Navel Jelly in that S.O.B. on the other hand i hope to see some of you
nice guys that i have met at other gun shows this Saterday at the big-E
Take Care Sheriff Dudley,

I would try a little non embedding diamond lapping compound. Of course if it is a sewer pipe, I'm sure the naval jelly couldn't hurt.

B

Check surplusrifle.coms section about the homemade electric bore cleaner: http://www.surplusrifle.com/reviews/copperout/index.asp I've never used one but heard they can get the fouling out pretty well.
For the record... I picked up an 1891 Argentine Mauser from M&Ms in Plymouth for cheap money only because it had a pretty nasty bore. When I got home I scrubbed and scrubbed but had no luck on getting it clean. I asked on diferent forums about methods, especially about shoot cleaning the bore. I wound up getting little help with the responses so I took the rifle and some ammo to the range and put 5 rounds through it and passed a patch soaked with windex through, follwed by a few dry patches that came out black, then a few passes with Break Free and a bronze brush and one more dry patch. Upon inspection I saw a nice bright and clean bore with great rifling. [shocked]
I shot about 20 more rounds and did a thorough cleaning when I got home. The bore cleaned up almost like brand new and is still clean to this day after 6 months in the safe.

Al, if the rifle is blued don't even think about it. You'll ruin the finish.
Take the above advice and try some of the foaming bore cleaner too. Let it soak a few hours then run a brush and a patch and then repeat a few times.

Ignoring the sound advice already posted for a moment... Navel Jelly is primarily used to remove/halt rust (oxidation).

Not that it can't be used for other purposes (such as removing bluing [wink]).

DIY'ers have used it in home parkerizing recipes as cheap substitute for phosphoric acid (Navel Jelly contains a fair amount)

Naval Jelly is just jellied acid. It will certainly magnify your problems.
A couple of .32 cal stainless brushes and some Shooters Choice bore cleaner is where to start.

Navel Jelly in the bore?

thanks guys !! again some great info and i will try some of this, i do have some of these products to try so i will do some more scrubbing and hope for the best, i hope i can get it to look better because the rifle shoots great
again thanks alot . S.D.

try JB Bore Paste Brownell's sells it used by the bench reat shooters for removing copper fouling. Non abrasive made from veritable matter I've used on my 308 and 223 works the nuts and won't hurt the bore

I was sold a "darkbore" yugo sks that outside it was in better condition than the "like new" ones i purchased before. The sks looked more like unissued. The bore turned out to be dark because it was "new".

Now i did purchase some ufixem yugo 59's that had broken safety levers. That appeared to be corroded bores. I let them sit for over a year before i took a good look at them and it turned out to be residue from shooting plastic or rubber bullets. After soaking it with the orginal G.I. Rifle Bore Cleaner the black crap seemed to melt and come out of the bores. After a good cleaning/soaking I found out they had very shootable bores and were "not corroded" as they appeared to be.

So there are different things that cause darkbores and we must becareful not to ruin a possibly a great gun.

What type of rifle are you trying to clean up anyway? Got my curiousity going.[grin]

The rifle that im working on is that Mosin nagant Sniper rifle that i just got!!!
i like the way it shoots but this bore is a praverbial toilet it does seem to be geting a little better,i have it gargleling some of that foam stuff in a can
as we speak, i will give it some more scrubbing and brushing cause it looks and shoots great, i realy want to keep it but it does have a money back
if im not happy garentee, so they advertise!! im hopeing to get it looking exceptable! S.D.

Back
Top Bottom