• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Navajo Code Talkers

I don't wonder the code was never broken. There's a little political incorrectness if you look carefully at the names of countries..........lol

Thanks for posting......most interesting. We owe the Navajo Code Talkers a great debt of gratitude!

didn't one just die recently? I think they said there were 6 left...but not sure of that number.

From NPR:

"Jan 15, 2019 - By the end of the war, more than 400 Navajo men were trained as Code Talkers. According to the Navajo Times, no official count of the remaining Code Talkers exists but "most agree there are less than 10.""

Hundreds of Navajos were recruited from the vast Navajo Nation to serve as Code Talkers with the U.S. Marine Corps. Only three are still alive today: Peter MacDonald, John Kinsel Sr. and Thomas H. Begay.

RIP

[halfmast]

I was watching a cool documentary on TV the other day, and learned we also had Code Talkers in France during WWI, but they were Cherokee Indians!

By the time WWII came around, the Germans had already learned the Cherokee language and also shared that info with the Japanese.

That is why why we switched to using the Navajo language in the pacific theater of WWII.

One of my best friends in the Navy was a Ute. He knew some of the code talkers. His anglicized name was Wilbur O. Johnson given to him when he started school at a mission. I couldn't begin to pronounce his native name. Yes, his middle name was Orville and his nickname was Wojo . Extremely laid back unless he put down a few beers, then all the hurt came out. I loved that guy like a brother. We had many conversations while we in the squadron together. He went back to his tribe, I think in AZ and I lost track of him after that. Rumor is that he was an elder in his tribe but I have no way of knowing that.

Speaking of talkers, here's something I found that some here might find interesting...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom