Nation's largest teachers unions call to end active shooter drills over fears they're traumatizing students

Ooookay.

The students and teachers in my building aren't traumatized. It's just something they do, like a fire drill. My own kids (elementary age) are even less fazed by any of this.

It's the world we live in. Suck it up. People need to be more situationally aware generally; drills help that mindset. As the old guard of teachers and union pachyderms retire and/or die off, this kind of nonsense will decrease.

Remember: almost nobody over the age of 50 got into teaching expecting to see this kind of stuff. These aren't security experts; not even close. Most of them shit their pants at any thought of an active shooter. Younger teachers are far better at it.

Also? ALICE FTW. When our school went to ALICE, everyone in the school felt safer.

@Picton That’s interesting, I’d have thought it would be the younger teachers complaining and being more easily triggered.

Can’t win these days either way, just the thought of guns and men in uniform anywhere near them sets people to shakin.

It's about time. My niece has gone through these. They're pointless and stupid.

In my experience, It VERY much depends on whether it's an ALICE school or one of those "lock-the-door-and-pray" kind of places.

I could tell you some stories that would curl your toes, in terms of the lack of ability older administrators have of coming to grips with the reality of hardening their buildings. They're just not mentally able to cope with it. I don't blame them, honestly; none of them got into teaching to do any of this. But their attitude doesn't help.

If active shooter drills are done like fire drills, fine: "Everyone hold hands while we go to the safe place and wait."

But we don't conduct fire drills or tornado drills like we do active shooter drills. If we did, kids would be sitting quietly in class when a massive fireball blew in, or the wall blew down, and everyone was screaming.

We teach classes based on ALICE combined with stuff we sprinkle in on our own. The feedback is EXCELLENT. I got certified in it 2 or 3 years ago.

ALICE gives you real skills and experience to take action under pressure.

Everytown supports doing away with them. Why? The body counts not high enough anymore? They becoming too effective that you’re losing your biggest opportunities?

How many schools have had shooters since columbine?
10?

there is 132853 k through 12 in USA.

makes 0.007 % of schools hit.

statistically ,you have a better chance of the moon fall and hit you.

not nessesary to have this dog and pony show.

it brainwashes the kids to panic at the word gun.

the hard answer the teachers don’t want to face is staff arming and training .

hire some people who can sheepdog the kids and are not hysterical anti-gun snowflakes.

Last edited:
the only active shooter drills they should be teaching in schools is how to shoot back. that should make people think twice about picking on schools.
If your asking a teacher to carry it's just a matter of time before someone gets hurt due to miscarriage or misuse.

How teachers frame the drills will trigger kids or calm them. While some drills are over the top, treating them just like fire drills or hurricane/tornado drills would make them matter-of-fact and routine, but automatic. It's the few teachers and kids with their heads on straight that will calmly and quickly lead the sheep to safety.

Those over-the-top drills are a waste and do not compensate for armed staff on site, and add nothing if there are good guys with guns spread around schools. It's armed reaction time that makes the difference.

If your asking a teacher to carry it's just a matter of time before someone gets hurt due to miscarriage or misuse.
You're right. Lets just continue down the path we are on. And then no more 2A and no more gun rights.

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

The real reason they dont want to do these because after the drill....

Students and teachers are probably realizing that having someone armed in defense is the best solution.

Cant have that can we?

Lets blame the snowflakes for being traumatized and continue to live lin la la land.

When my kids were in school they told them to huddle in a corner.

I told them ignore the bullshit teacher, protocol, break or open a window and get out as fast as posslble.

Ooookay.

The students and teachers in my building aren't traumatized. It's just something they do, like a fire drill. My own kids (elementary age) are even less fazed by any of this.

It's the world we live in. Suck it up. People need to be more situationally aware generally; drills help that mindset. As the old guard of teachers and union pachyderms retire and/or die off, this kind of nonsense will decrease.

Remember: almost nobody over the age of 50 got into teaching expecting to see this kind of stuff. These aren't security experts; not even close. Most of them shit their pants at any thought of an active shooter. Younger teachers are far better at it.

Also? ALICE FTW. When our school went to ALICE, everyone in the school felt safer.

Well, no. Nein nein nein.

This is not the world we live in. This is the world brought to you by the media.

The drills, if done, need to be done with discretion and in calculated and meaningful ways.

Don't be scared. Ya bitch.

You're right. Lets just continue down the path we are on. And then no more 2A and no more gun rights.

Albert Einstein: The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
There are better alternatives teachers carrying them. Someone is going to get hurt in fact someone has got hurt.

In my experience, It VERY much depends on whether it's an ALICE school or one of those "lock-the-door-and-pray" kind of places.

I could tell you some stories that would curl your toes, in terms of the lack of ability older administrators have of coming to grips with the reality of hardening their buildings. They're just not mentally able to cope with it. I don't blame them, honestly; none of them got into teaching to do any of this. But their attitude doesn't help.
Curling toes as in cringing hard? Or having an orgasm?

There are already plenty of places where the laws do not prevent teachers, security personnel and in some states anyone with a valid CCW permit to carry a gun in a school. Local policies may differ in these places but there are plenty of places where teachers are allowed to carry. According to the info at the link below, in Alabama, Oregon, Rhode Island, and Utah, anyone with a CCW permit can carry a gun in a school. How often do you hear about firearm related incidents in schools in these states?

I think the older teachers are better equipped to handle an active shooter situation than the young one's. The older teachers may not be as physically fit as younger teachers, but they certainly know how to use what common sense they have better. The younger generation has been brainwashed into calling 911 or to rely on someone else ( the government ) to solve their problems for them.

The concept of shutting off the lights and hiding in the corner waiting for the shooter to use their carnival style sitting duck skills on an entire classroom is pathetic, it should be fight or flight and that's it.

I think the older teachers are better equipped to handle an active shooter situation than the young one's. The older teachers may not be as physically fit as younger teachers, but they certainly know how to use what common sense they have better. The younger generation has been brainwashed into calling 911 or to rely on someone else ( the government ) to solve their problems for them.

The concept of shutting off the lights and hiding in the corner waiting for the shooter to use their carnival style sitting duck skills on an entire classroom is pathetic, it should be fight or flight and that's it.

Completely untrue on the first part. But then I’m basingthat on actual experience, rather than my own uninformed opinions.

And I already addressed the second part.

I’ve said it before: reading NESers commenting on schools sometimes reminds me of reading antis commenting on guns. But that’s okay. To each their own.

I've taught Active Shooter/Critical Incident stuff for a while now. Here's my impressions:

1. People are trained to be sheep for the most part. It's sad and frustrating. I work really hard to help individuals and organizations to overcome that. The biggest first step is to get people to understand that you can't stop everything, but you DO have options and decisions to make, even if you are caught with pants down.

2. We use a combination of experience with violence, experience with threat assessment, and experience with behavioral profiling. Then we combine that with ALICE, and some hands on exercises to help people take action. A lot of people in classes just want a mathematical formula to survive.... like if bad guy does X, they can do Y. That's not how life works. We use OODA loop as a framework for making decisions, and then Run/Hide/Fight as well as ALICE to break down the options they have within that framework. The challenge is that as an organization, you can't just put out a message telling people what to do, because YOU DON'T KNOW what they are seeing. So the answer is to upgrade their 'software'. Make decisions efficiently that force a bad actor to react to YOU.... not vice versa.

3. The biggest thing that helps people is showing them how to effectively barricade an area, position themselves tactically, and how to physically confront a shooter the instant they come into the space to they don't have time to collect data and select victims. It's empowering to adults, and we've had excellent feedback.

4. I am extremely pro-gun in my presentations, and point out the hypocrisy of Massachusetts laws as often as I can. I've never had any complaints

5. I don't shoot people with sim guns or airsoft guns. That just creates a feeling of powerlessness and training scars in my opinion. They already know they are behind the 8-ball, and it's pure ego when 'alpha males' run around shooting people to 'show them'.

Back
Top Bottom