• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

National Reciprocity

Xero has just about said it all, The big problem is Ca. ,NY.,Ma.,and Ill., all have been forced to issue carry permits . Not all
states have firearms preemption laws,basically one set of laws that cover the entire state and don't very from town to town.
All firearms permits are issued by the state,not local PD's. Once there is a single nation wide system, and it need not be a
Federal approved system, but one which all states can agree upon. That is when it will possibly work out. I'm not sure I'll live long enough to see that .

..................................Jack

something has to be done.

I'm sure you didn't mean it this way, but....where have we heard line before? I'm pretty sure the "something has to be done" rationale has popped up in the private gun ownership debate somewhere before...

Last edited:
Once there is a single nation wide system, and it need not be a
Federal approved system, but one which all states can agree upon. That is when it will possibly work out. I'm not sure I'll live long enough to see that .

..................................Jack

It's here and you're still alive. Both the Second and Fourteenth Amendments were ratified by enough states to become the highest law of the land.

Maybe we just forgot to say, "Pretty please."

Xero has just about said it all, The big problem is Ca. ,NY.,Ma.,and Ill., all have been forced to issue carry permits . Not all
states have firearms preemption laws,basically one set of laws that cover the entire state and don't very from town to town.
All firearms permits are issued by the state,not local PD's. Once there is a single nation wide system, and it need not be a
Federal approved system, but one which all states can agree upon.

That will never happen, the best you can hope for is like 40 states or so agree to a voluntary compact. I can tell you right now, MA, NY, NJ, MD, HI, DC aren't going to be in it, and possibly a few others depending on how douchey they are. There is a way that all the non-gay states could have reciprocity using a permit that agrees with the legal bullshit from all the member states. You could probably put one state (Let's say, Florida) in charge of the whole program (to house the data, maybe run background checks depending on what the member states require) and make the member states able to issue permits within this framework. Fees would fund the program, might be more than a cheap CCW permit, but nobody will blink an eye at dropping $100+ to cover 40+ states at once for 4 years (or whatever the maximum agreed upon term is) In order for this to work, you would have to make this program ancillary to existing states licensing programs; otherwise the locals would completely get pissed off.

That's about as close as you're going to get to national reciprocity without someone really getting pissed off in the process. Even with that, there still is risk- because once such a program is in place, many states will probably dump reciprocity agreements and just tell their citizens "well, just go get a national reciprocity compact permit instead, get lost".

-Mike

How about we start local, and question who decided that MA does not recognize ANY other state's concealed carry license? What was the impetus for that? Was it through legislation or some other means? Can it be reversed? If enough people in enough states ask each state for more reciprocity, maybe we can do this via a grass-roots effort NOT involving the feds.

If you do some reading of MGL (pretty sure that it is there and not in the CMRs) you will find that the AG is chartered to create and maintain a list of reciprocal states for LTC/CCW, just like the CMR for the AG Regs states that the AG WILL create a list of guns meeting the AG Regs. Don't hold your breath waiting for either list to be published. They are above the law and there is nothing punitive (and never will be) to force them to comply!!

So the short answer for MA is to elect a decent AG who will abide by the law/regs. I don't see that happening any time soon either.

This is a case where "doing something" can cause more problems than it solves, if someone isn't careful. The anti states will still be anti, and they will still treat people like shit, I can guarantee that... and that's what this is really about anyways. With the others unlawful carry first offense is often a misdemeanor, or not even charged, etc. So this is really about NYC and other moonbat shitholes. Those places are not going to stop abusing people's rights anytime soon, even with a new law. They will find out some other way to do it.

-Mike

+1

Back
Top Bottom