National Guard

Theres a bunch of people here that are, or former.

I was, martlet is a recruiter for the guard, wolf223 is a pouge in the guard, dickwanner is a mechanic... who else am i missing?

Dench got put out on DADT [laugh]

i'm a high speed low drag paper pusher.... but not for long, i will be a Sergeant First Class soon, but i can't divulge the info because of OPSEC

i will be a Sergeant First Class soon, but i can't divulge the info because of OPSEC

Don't be jealous that you weren't a career E4 like myself [rofl]

spcmurphy.jpg

Last edited:
PM is not needed.

i have 15 years in. 95% of active duty between Reg. Army, National Guard, deployments and the Active Guard / Reserves (AGR) program.

what you wanna know?

for the good of the group, i prefer to keep it open. however, if you have specific questions, PM "Martlet" for the up to date answer....

HOOAH

Lots of questions:

What has your overall experience in the National Guard been like?
What is the committment?
Are memebers of the National Guard ever deployed oversee's or out of state?
I have some postgrad degree's so if I move forward I'd want to pusue OSC? What should I expect if I do that?
Is the committment to being in the Guard a strain on your family/personal life?

I guess I'll start with those, but I'm sure lots of other questions will also come to mind

I am not in the Guard, but my cousin is, and he recently got back from a 13 month trip to baghdad..

Lots of questions:

What has your overall experience in the National Guard been like? ok
What is the committment? 6 years for me
Are memebers of the National Guard ever deployed oversee's or out of state? expect to be deployed up to 50% of your time in
I have some postgrad degree's so if I move forward I'd want to pusue OSC? What should I expect if I do that? dont know
Is the committment to being in the Guard a strain on your family/personal life?yes

There's some quick answers for you.

overall experience with the guard? -lots of politics, otherwise good to go. i've helped a lot of soldiers, so it's all good.
commitment? i got less than 6 years until i get a full retirement
deployments? yes
OCS? i work right down the hall from the medical recruiters, or i can put you in contact with the officer recruiters... e-mail or PM me right from NES or go mass.gov/guard and send the contacts an e-mail yourself......
commitment: ??? absolutely.... i'm divorced, almost twice now... it will rip your family apart if you let it. if you bring them in, it will be ok

Do you mean OCS? If so you have two options, traditional which takes about a year or accelerated which is about two months. I just started the traditional and can tell you that it's not a gentlemans club or something you just do one weekend a month! As for a career, the best advice I can give you is to pick one that will complement you civilian life, and don't believe those ridiculus comercials at the movies.

Lots of questions:

What has your overall experience in the National Guard been like?
What is the committment?
Are memebers of the National Guard ever deployed oversee's or out of state?
I have some postgrad degree's so if I move forward I'd want to pusue OSC? What should I expect if I do that?
Is the committment to being in the Guard a strain on your family/personal life?

I guess I'll start with those, but I'm sure lots of other questions will also come to mind

In the interest of being fully informed you should also ask questions of those who are in about the impact of the Guard on their work experiences.

Companies have specific rules about employees in the Guard and reserve. Some are much better than others regarding allowing for deployments, extended deployments, etc. Others less understanding. Some offer to compensate you for the gap between your regular salary while deployed, and again, others don't. Most do it for a finite time, but some companies are very supportive and leave it open ended. The law requires that employers hold a job open for someone deployed for a finite time (six months, last time I checked, but it may have changed).

Sometimes being at the risk of being deployed can influence an employer to find some other reason to pass on an applicant's resume.

There'll always be some negatives to anything, but you should do it if driven to it by your desire to serve and to participate in the potential missions.

In this environment especially (2 wars), don't sign up to get a second income, tuition assistance or any of that stuff, without being fully committed to the potential of deployement.

My two cents as someone with family experience and employer experience.

Last edited:
Wow DENCH, IM hurt..... HURT FEELINGS REPORT! .. .lol....

Im so short, I have to jump to get up the stairs! TWENTY FOUR MORE DAYS!!!!!!

commitment: ??? absolutely.... i'm divorced, almost twice now... it will rip your family apart if you let it. if you bring them in, it will be ok

Could you clarify what you mean by this? If you keep them near or something? I know this can be a very sensitive topic...just trying to understand is all.

Could you clarify what you mean by this? If you keep them near or something? I know this can be a very sensitive topic...just trying to understand is all.

if I may be so bold.....

when you deploy, especially as a Guardsman, you form a bond with those guys. I say even more so in the Guard because your with the same core of Soldiers for 10 plus years in some [mine] instances.

when you get back, regardless of if you were deployed to Iraq, Afghanistan, Yugoslavia, Arizona or the Horn, that void is tough to fill. The void that comes from putting it all on the line day in and day out. Regardless of what you did on your deployment. Again, I dont think it matters where you go- its when you get back to the family that im talking about.

everyday stuff, taking out the garbage, feeding the kids, mowing the lawn, going to your job and banging out 10 hours in the hot sun...none of it really seems as important anymore. I work for my family, in the trades- and its a tough, high stress day. It doesnt really matter anymore, and its damn near impossible to relate it to your spouse. They dont always understand the nightmares, or the Tums, or why you want SO f***ING DESPERATELY to recreate the times you had with those guys.

They [she] tries tries and tries with all her heart to be there for you, but if you dont let here in, she cant get in.

So, you stop talking about your days. It becomes about the kids. The groceries. The bills.....

Then drill comes. Or AT. And for a couple days after, everything is great again. Like being on R&R again. You laugh, and sit on the counter drinking a beer when the kids are asleep....bliss.

Then its gone, like smoke....cant really put your finger on when it went, but its gone. She wont stop with the nagging, (you know, about stuff like why are yu drunk at 1500 on a wednesday? Are you getting paid this week? where is your daughter? Is the house on Fire?)and you wont tell her why you hate her f***ing guts right now.(You dont, but she doesnt know that, because you dont talk to her) and your back to the same ol day in day out BS....but no Rhinos. No losing your fill when you hit a bump on Irish. No IDF. No clearing before you go inside the house. No sandbags. no T Walls....its all gone...nope. No patrol brief before you head out to the driveway and fire up the fbcb2.

You come home, and now you dont speak at all, just 'acknowledge'. You move from beers to booze. Whats she say? Nothing, cause shes busy raising your kids, and taking care of your house, while your still trying to figure why the hell you came back at all.

Ill tell you why, cause shes still the girl you fell in love with, no matter where you are now. And when your done feeling sorry for yourself, cause you didnt get what you wanted out of the deployment, or perhaps you did-You need to man up, shake it off and remember, your kids need a daddy, and your girl needs her husband.

Sometimes it takes months, sometimes years, but eventually-married or not-you go thru it.

I think i needed to write this.

dibs on GRAP, bitches.

Last edited:
if I may be so bold.....

when you deploy, especially as a Guardsman, you form a bond with those guys. I say even more so in the Guard because your with the same core of Soldiers for 10 plus years in some [mine] instances.

when you get back, regardless of if you were deployed to Iraq, Afghanistan, Yugoslavia, Arizona or the Horn, that void is tough to fill. The void that comes from putting it all on the line day in and day out. Regardless of what you did on your deployment. Again, I dont think it matters where you go- its when you get back to the family that im talking about.

everyday stuff, taking out the garbage, feeding the kids, mowing the lawn, going to your job and banging out 10 hours in the hot sun...none of it really seems as important anymore. I work for my family, in the trades- and its a tough, high stress day. It doesnt really matter anymore, and its damn near impossible to relate it to your spouse. They dont always understand the nightmares, or the Tums, or why you want SO f***ING DESPERATELY to recreate the times you had with those guys.

They [she] tries tries and tries with all her heart to be there for you, but if you dont let here in, she cant get in.

So, you stop talking about your days. It becomes about the kids. The groceries. The bills.....

Then drill comes. Or AT. And for a couple days after, everything is great again. Like being on R&R again. You laugh, and sit on the counter drinking a beer when the kids are asleep....bliss.

Then its gone, like smoke....cant really put your finger on when it went, but its gone. She wont stop with the nagging, (you know, about stuff like why are yu drunk at 1500 on a wednesday? Are you getting paid this week? where is your daughter? Is the house on Fire?)and you wont tell her why you hate her f***ing guts right now.(You dont, but she doesnt know that, because you dont talk to her) and your back to the same ol day in day out BS....but no Rhinos. No losing your fill when you hit a bump on Irish. No IDF. No clearing before you go inside the house. No sandbags. no T Walls....its all gone...nope. No patrol brief before you head out to the driveway and fire up the fbcb2.

You come home, and now you dont speak at all, just 'acknowledge'. You move from beers to booze. Whats she say? Nothing, cause shes busy raising your kids, and taking care of your house, while your still trying to figure why the hell you came back at all.

Ill tell you why, cause shes still the girl you fell in love with, no matter where you are now. And when your done feeling sorry for yourself, cause you didnt get what you wanted out of the deployment, or perhaps you did-You need to man up, shake it off and remember, your kids need a daddy, and your girl needs her husband.

Sometimes it takes months, sometimes years, but eventually-married or not-you go thru it.

dibs on GRAP, bitches.

Sounds like it was a pretty tough go of it for you. I hope you're doing OK now. Thanks for doing what you do!

CenterMass, your scaring the shit out of me!!! This year has been a real eye opener for me PERSONALLY, and I THOUGHT it has been a relationship BUILDER. Im heading home in about 31 days ( not that we are counting) and plan on goin back to work July 1. Now Im scared to !! LOL

Seriously, In the last couple weeks, after swearing up and down never to VOLUNTEER for another deployment, there are days Im already thinking I could squeeze in a Stan deployment before thats all over. This has been a real life experience for me. People outside the military have no idea how good they have it day to day. I mean ya, work, bills and all that, but damn.. fresh air while you work, grass under your feet, a bed to sleep on, no IDF ruining your barbeque.... does it get better??? LOL ( I do secretly wish I had my very own C-RAM system to shoot down pigeons).

To the original poster, a few questions back atcha.... what MOS (job) are you thinking about doing? Do you have a job now? Looking for a new Skill? The college money is great and all that, but JOB SECURITY is something that service in the National Guard can also bring. I am a firefighter by trade, but when I retire, my national guard training as a heavy equipment operator is going to give me something to keep the money coming in. PLUS by then, Ill have my retirement from the guard for 20 years of service. Serving your community and your country I THINK is one of the most patriotic and adult things any young person can do. Put stock in your country by working for it. With the right attitude, you wont be sorry.

if I may be so bold.....

dibs on GRAP, bitches.

Wow. That's really powerful stuff. -Best to you.

CenterMass, your scaring the shit out of me!!! This year has been a real eye opener for me PERSONALLY, and I THOUGHT it has been a relationship BUILDER. Im heading home in about 31 days ( not that we are counting) and plan on goin back to work July 1. Now Im scared to !! LOL

Seriously, In the last couple weeks, after swearing up and down never to VOLUNTEER for another deployment, there are days Im already thinking I could squeeze in a Stan deployment before thats all over. This has been a real life experience for me. People outside the military have no idea how good they have it day to day. I mean ya, work, bills and all that, but damn.. fresh air while you work, grass under your feet, a bed to sleep on, no IDF ruining your barbeque.... does it get better??? LOL ( I do secretly wish I had my very own C-RAM system to shoot down pigeons).

To the original poster, a few questions back atcha.... what MOS (job) are you thinking about doing? Do you have a job now? Looking for a new Skill? The college money is great and all that, but JOB SECURITY is something that service in the National Guard can also bring. I am a firefighter by trade, but when I retire, my national guard training as a heavy equipment operator is going to give me something to keep the money coming in. PLUS by then, Ill have my retirement from the guard for 20 years of service. Serving your community and your country I THINK is one of the most patriotic and adult things any young person can do. Put stock in your country by working for it. With the right attitude, you wont be sorry.

If i were you i would be concerned about those so called "Girls nights"

On a serious side, if you go through some of the articles in this magazine, you'll get a feel for the types of missions we are capable of doing and presently fulfilling. The NHANG is presently deployed in eight or nine spots outside of the US, as well as fulfilling both state and federal missions at Pease.

this - it is also compounded when it's a dual-military couple...

if I may be so bold.....

dibs on GRAP, bitches.

if I may be so bold.....

dibs on GRAP, bitches.

You may be so bold.

this - it is also compounded when it's a dual-military couple...

Thank you guys very much for your service.

i was in the vt air guard, i loved the experience, but i was fortunate to have served in a time of peace, you may not be so fortunate. thank you all for you're service.

Back
Top Bottom