National Grid says I use to much electricity

center442

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
How many kilowatts per month do you folks use? Every month I get an email from National Grid telling me how much more electricity we use compared to our neighbors and offer me tips to reduce consumption.

Last month we used 1850 kilowatts and my neighbors used 800 or so. I want to send them an email and let them know that one neighbor is a retired couple whos kinds have moved out and the other is a gay guy and doesn't spend alot of time at home and most of the devices he uses are battery operated.

We have 5 people living here, two refridgerators, and my wife works from home. I pay my bill every month and they should kiss my behind. I's not like we deliberatley leave lights on or leave TV's on when we are not home.

Thoughts?
Last month I used 1538 on the house meter and 484 on the spa/shed/pool meter for a combined total of 2022kwh. That was actually a low bill for me. You should see it during a summer heat wave when the 33 year old central air and the auxiliary unit are both running full out. NSTAR has never told me I'm using too much, and the SWAT team hasn't been sent in to check for grow lights. If NSTAR ever did tell me that, my reply would be that I'm paying dearly for what I'm using. When I can't pay for what I'm using, then I'm using too much.

Only 1850kwh? You're falling behind. Step up your usage! [laugh]

oldguy

NES Member
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
National grid needs to finish repairing the storm damage from the summer rather than worry about how much KW each cust. is using.
The infrastructure is like a 3rd world country now with poles leaning,double poles bolted together,street lights out,Guy wires broken, etc.
I hardly ever see a grid truck anymore.

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Last month I used 1538 on the house meter and 484 on the spa/shed/pool meter for a combined total of 2022kwh. That was actually a low bill for me. You should see it during a summer heat wave when the 33 year old central air and the auxiliary unit are both running full out. NSTAR has never told me I'm using too much, and the SWAT team hasn't been sent in to check for grow lights. If NSTAR ever did tell me that, my reply would be that I'm paying dearly for what I'm using. When I can't pay for what I'm using, then I'm using too much.

Only 1850kwh? You're falling behind. Step up your usage! [laugh]

Yeah, the pool heater will gobble it up, but usually only in the first and last month it is running. Once it is up to tempature it is not too bad. My wonderful wife pays all the household bill so I asked her how much the bill is usually. Under $200 most months $450-$500 in may and September because of the pool heater. I can live with that.

The only thing growing here is tomato and squash, maybe some zucchini and corn. Strawberrys next year

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What kind of company offers you tips to reduce their revenue? What a bunch of effing morons. My tip list would include buying a bigger ac, deep freezer and/or 2nd or 3rd refigerator, a new plasma TV and some 100 watt light bulbs.

RHJJ

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
National grid needs to finish repairing the storm damage from the summer rather than worry about how much KW each cust. is using.
The infrastructure is like a 3rd world country now with poles leaning,double poles bolted together,street lights out,Guy wires broken, etc.
I hardly ever see a grid truck anymore.
It could be financed by us energy hogs.

center442

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Yeah, the pool heater will gobble it up, but usually only in the first and last month it is running. Once it is up to tempature it is not too bad. My wonderful wife pays all the household bill so I asked her how much the bill is usually. Under $200 most months $450-$500 in may and September because of the pool heater. I can live with that.

The only thing growing here is tomato and squash, maybe some zucchini and corn. Strawberrys next year
What kind of pool heater? Electric? My spa has an electric heater that uses current like a crack whore. I prefer it around 98 degrees, but the rest of the family keeps cranking it up to 104 or so. You know, just in case they suddenly need to boil a lobster or two. [hmmm]

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Here is something that didn't happen to me today. I did not go to the grocery store, ask for 8 steaks from the meat case, and listen to the butcher tell me that's too much food for my family. Tell National Grid to STFU and MTOFB.

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Hayward Heat pump for the pool. We have a Dimension One Spa and we keep it at 102 but it is so well insulated it only costs about $15 per month to run on average

Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Yes

5 or 6 people living here. 4 bedrooms.

Really Stef? None of the single people with smaller houses have as big a bill? You seem to be missing the point. They are comparing my house of 5 or 6 to houses with 1 or 2. We take 6 showers a day. they take two. We do 6 loads of laundry per week. They wash two. I bet my single neighbor doesn't turn his oven on for an hour a day to cook dinner for a family like my wife does.

Maybe the math isn't clear but when I went to school, seeing as I have three times as many people (atleast) , it would seem like I should be using three times the electricity, which I am not. Therefore my house is far more energy efficient.

Also, did you miss the part where I mentioned my wife works from home? There is always someone here.

Every appliance in my house is under three years old and qualified for the energy tax credit and all were purchased on tax free weekend. The water heater is 4 years. I have the curly light bulbs were they make sense and all exterior lights are on a timer.

Short of putting solar panels on the roof or a windmill in the front yard, the house is as efficient as it gets. It is a 3000sq ft house with a bunch of people living in it.

But hey, if you want to continue to insinuate that I am an uneducated moron, who knowingly "takes it in the can" knock yourself out. I know who I am.
and boom goes the dynomite.

center442

NES Member
Rating - 100%
40   0   0
Hayward Heat pump for the pool. We have a Dimension One Spa and we keep it at 102 but it is so well insulated it only costs about $15 per month to run on average
No heater on my pool. The pump for the pool filter does use quite a bit of juice, but it only runs about 3 months per year. I replaced the thermal cover on the spa last year. The whole spa is well insulated. When it snows theres is no unusual melting around or even on the spa. I can't figure out why the hell it's using so much power. I'm going to check the setting for the cleaning cycles. We had a brief power outage a while ago and it may have defaulted to the factory programmed settings. With minimal usage it doesn't need lengthy filtering.

I should get a thank you card from my utility company for my usage. [wink]

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I'm around 1750 kwh per month.

I get the same audit crap in the mail every few months.

The numbers are bogus. Folks in my neighborhood uses about the same (perhaps slightly less) than I do. The "peer group" they claim to compare my usage to must be totally fictional.

fencer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
I'm around 1750 kwh per month.

I get the same audit crap in the mail every few months.

The numbers are bogus. Folks in my neighborhood uses about the same (perhaps slightly less) than I do. The "peer group" they claim to compare my usage to must be totally fictional.

About how much is your bill if you don't mind my asking

namedpipes

NES Member
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
2200 or so. Electric stoves x 3, elect water heater, 9+ computers, old school rear projection the wife seems to think is off just because the cable box is off even though the little green light on the front says different.

Still, if an energy audit outfit really wants to tell me I use too much juice, said opinion unasked for and unwanted, they should leave it at a postcard.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Family of 4, two of whom are infants. Last month we used 404.
My bill has never been that low, even when it was only me in the house. I think my record low was like 700 or so. During the winter it's a good month if we stay under 1000. Maybe you have one of those meters that's defective in a good way. [laugh]

-Mike

timbo

Navy Veteran
NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Just got our bill today...464kw

The irony of this is we, as well as many other UNITIL customers, have become proactive in reducing our KWhr usage ...so much so they were losing money...guess what? The bastards raised our rate /KWhr! So much for trying to save money by cutting our usage. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

drgrant

NES Member
Rating - 100%
59   0   0
Just got our bill today...464kw

The irony of this is we, as well as many other UNITIL customers, have become proactive in reducing our KWhr usage ...so much so they were losing money...guess what? The bastards raised our rate /KWhr! So much for trying to save money by cutting our usage. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.
Don't get me started on Unitil, lol... at least in Fitchburg, we basically have the WORST utility rate in the entire STATE. Even folks in Boston get power for many cents less per KWH than we do.

-Mike

Top Bottom