• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

National Concealed Carry

The Heller decision was not a negative. Read Scalia's decision. It's a great read and you don't have to be a lawyer to understand it - for the most part. The decision ' incorporated' the 2nd amendment as a fundamental right. What we as citizens have to do is demand that basic right in the courts and legislatures That's the game, and the field it'll be played, on whether it's the way we want it or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That decision is completely at odds with 80 years of SCOTUS and means nothing. If it did, the ATF wouldn't exist anymore and everything's going back to CGA34 would have been struck down.

Ed knocked it out of the park

Heller/McDonald were bad decisions that only reinforce unconstutional over reach of the fed gov

You know, it's weird, there is like a harmony here on NES today. We are back to talking about shit that really matters and not Clinton/Trump. How refreshing. [cheers]

Not talking about a national license. I'd be completely opposed to that. I'm talking reciprocity. Think along same lines as my MA driver's license being honored in other states.

Most people don't realize is that the federal government was not involved in driver's license reciprocity, it was an interstate compact. As they stand now both driver's license and carry permit reciprocity are the same. The only thing different between them is every state has agreed to every other states driver's licenses. The federal government did not set licensing requirements or force states to accept driver's licenses from other states.

Last edited:
Most people don't realize is the federal government was not involved in driver license reciprocity, it was an interstate compact. As they stand now both driver's license and carry permit reciprocity are the same. The only thing different between them is every state has agreed to every other states driver's licenses. The federal government did not set licensing requirements or force states to accept driver's licenses from other states.

Exactly.

Most people don't realize is the federal government was not involved in driver license reciprocity, it was an interstate compact. As they stand now both driver's license and carry permit reciprocity are the same. The only thing different between them is every state has agreed to every other states driver's licenses. The federal government did not set licensing requirements or force states to accept driver's licenses from other states.

As much as as I would like to have national reciprocity, I completely agree that the federal government should not get involved. We need a MUCH, MUCH smaller federal government than we currently have. Leave this one to the states where it belongs.

I was disgusted to learn recently that government employees outnumber manufacturing workers by 10 Million.'

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article...s-now-outnumber-manufacturing-workers-9977000

Just a thought on how we may be able to get rid of the state to state BS without creating more risk at the fed level.

If a minor change to fed firearms law was made "No state shall, through statute, policy, or practice, restrict the possession, sale. or transfer of firearms, ammunition, or loading devices (mags) beyond that which is specifically stated in <insert fed laws here>. And this shall be applied equally to both residents of the state and residents of any other state." Basically an expressed preemption clause.

This would leave the matter of permits in the hands of the states and remove any extra conditions. The thought process being (not saying I agree) that a permit ensures compliance but it does not actually add any restriction(s).

Yes, there is still the very real risk of a negative change in fed law. But we live with this now and this change wouldn't increase it. On the other hand it is a small step in the right direction. And while big changes may sound good, they are very unlikely to happen. This is a battle of little steps, not sweeping changes. The Anti side knows this and has used it successfully, we need to use the same process.

As a side note, I would think some of the current state laws, particularly MA, would fail a "field preemption" test. Anyone know if a state firearms law has ever been brought before any court on this basis?

Not talking about a national license. I'd be completely opposed to that. I'm talking reciprocity. Think along same lines as my MA driver's license being honored in other states.

Congress and the President don't have the authority to mandate reciprocity. The fact that state honor each others' driver's licenses is because they've all signed on to an interstate compact to do so. The correct analogy would be for all 50 state to sign on to compact where they agree to recognize each other's carry licenses. Good luck.

Even if it was constitutional, as others have mentioned, you really don't want the federal government to do this. It's a massive federal overreach.

All of this would be moot if the other Justices had agreed with Justice Thomas in McDonald when he said that it should have been decided on the "Privileges or Immunities" clause in the 14th Amendment.

Section 1. All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

Slauighterhouse was wrongly decided way back then and the Court missed a chance to remedy that.

No. No one should support this. You don't give the federal government power to give you permission to carry a gun.

If you want to carry everywhere legally, support repealing laws, not adding to them. Supporting an idea like this is so short sighted I don't even know where to begin. Do you want a Dem president a few years later adding ridiculous requirements and suitability to such a permit?

Don't support government expansion.
It'll never pass because the only people it applies to really are restricted states. Most of the Midwest recriporcates and has no restrictions.

but it was an important talking point for him to seem like a knowledgeable pro 2a candidate

It'll never pass because the only people it applies to really are restricted states. Most of the Midwest recriporcates and has no restrictions.

but it was an important talking point for him to seem like a knowledgeable pro 2a candidate

If real Americans occupy 2/3 of house and senate this can be done. Or if real Americans direct their state legislatures....

- - - Updated - - -

If real Americans occupy 2/3 of house and senate this can be done. Or if real Americans direct their state legislatures....

Wait, didn't real America just vote in Trump? YES

Once you get out of the northeast (not including PA) there is a lot of cross state recognition. Even VA, which is run by shit bag McAullife, recognizes every other states permits. VT, because it has no licenses, does the same by default. No other New England state recognizes any other New England states license.

With the exception of FL and SC, I can carry anywhere in the south much of the west. Look at the states down there that recognize every other states license.

As you point out, it's a NE problem that the other states don't consider a priority.

Once you get out of the northeast (not including PA) there is a lot of cross state recognition. Even VA, which is run by shit bag McAullife, recognizes every other states permits. VT, because it has no licenses, does the same by default. No other New England state recognizes any other New England states license.

With the exception of FL and SC, I can carry anywhere in the south much of the west. Look at the states down there that recognize every other states license.

As you point out, it's a NE problem that the other states don't consider a priority.

Not entirely true, ME has Con Carry AND recognizes NH PRL. VT, no license requirement, anyone can carry there. NH, anyone can carry there too, you just have to hop around some annoyance, for now. So really it is just MA, CT, and RI that are the problem. Although, IIRC, RI accepts MA LTC if you are passing through. So, really it's mostly just MA and CT (admittedly I don't know anything about CT's laws, just making assumptions).

This, we don't want more govt. we want less. Govt. already has much more power than it is supposed to have.

No. No one should support this. You don't give the federal government power to give you permission to carry a gun.

If you want to carry everywhere legally, support repealing laws, not adding to them. Supporting an idea like this is so short sighted I don't even know where to begin. Do you want a Dem president a few years later adding ridiculous requirements and suitability to such a permit?

^this
the only federal laws we should support are removal of regulations, not implementations of new regulations that seem appealing.

Who said anything about a permit?? No permit, carry, everywhere, shall not be infringed. That's already the law of the land.

Been traveling so I just caught up. The only entity that can protect our constitutional rights is the federal government. That is its mandate. It's done a piss poor job of it of course, but that was, and is, it's mandate. Counting on the States to fix the current mess of interstate gun laws will result in no changes based on current laws and history. One could argue the restrictions will become more onerous, based on very recent history (check out what CA passed Tuesday). Am I happy about this entire situation? No. I agree with everyone on this thread about what 'should' be. I'm looking at what is. We had a war over the preeminence of States rights and the Feds won out. That is where the battle will be won or lost ultimately because some states will never recognize our fundamental rights e.g. MA, CA, NJ, MD, CT, etc. This does not deny the great work that state orgs like COMM2A and GOAL do, but as history shows, States will attempt to thwart their own courts and citizens, in most attempts to return rights because they have almost unlimited funds (ours) and an apparent lust for power over the masses. Again - I am not advocating an expansion of the Feds size and powers, I am (and we should) demand they do their job to protect out fundamental constitutional rights.

On a side note: The Heller decision, and most controversial decisions from the SC involve compromise. It's is absolutely clear that Scalia was completely on the side of history and ultimately on 'our' side; but he needed 5 votes - and if he didn't get 5 votes - his exhaustive recounting of the history of the RKBA would have been the losing minority rebuttal instead of the foundation of McDonald. Heller a terrible decision? Hardly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even if a Federal Carry Permit comes into being it doesn't mean that all states have to honer it. Do you really think MA., NY, NJ, and some others will?

The 2nd amendment is our 50 state license, unfortunately our corrupt unconstitutional government doesn't recognize it.

So if there was an option to apply for a federal 50 state license to carry, you wouldn't apply for it?

I don't support a Federalized concealed carry concept of any kind because it gives the Fed way too much control, but I do absolutely support a reciprocity law. Sure, it might be more difficult, but it retains the balance of power with the states, but gives us the opportunity to be able to carry anywhere. There's still some diligence due on the part of the individual to know what guns he can legally carry in specific states, but it sure beats putting all of the power into the hands of the Fed.

I don't support a Federalized concealed carry concept of any kind because it gives the Fed way too much control, but I do absolutely support a reciprocity law. Sure, it might be more difficult, but it retains the balance of power with the states, but gives us the opportunity to be able to carry anywhere. There's still some diligence due on the part of the individual to know what guns he can legally carry in specific states, but it sure beats putting all of the power into the hands of the Fed.

The only way this idea would work and not be a complete dumpster fire is if there's a national reciprocity permit specification and states are NOT prohibited from having their own original permits and can offer the fed compliant permit as an enhanced.

Also, even if this did happen, anyone thinks that the shit problem states would honor it is being delusional. NY, NJ, etc, would make it sufficiently aggravating that carrying there would still be pretty much unusable, at least in practical terms. I doubt there would be anything in such a law that would prohibit them from having inane restrictions, or making you sit on the side of a road for an hour while they "call it in to get the permit checked". They've already been doing similar things with LEOSA cred holders. I'd much rather see FOPA simply beefed up so that it covers "guns and any related accessories such as ammunition, magazines, etc" and also makes it a federal felony for LE to wrongfully arrest or unnecessarily detain someone simply for the "crime" of transporting firearms under FOPA.

-Mike

Distinction without a difference. I don't need a license to carry a gun in NH. So how do I get "reciprocity".

The answer of course is the Feds will set minimum standards.

What you're proposing screws a lot of the country where license don't exist or there is already reciprocity in place. New England is not representative of the country as a whole.

The very real risk is that a state gets lazy and just votes to convert their entire license over to "the federal standard" and doesn't want to adopt a regular and an enhanced license. Then the bar gets raised for people that didn't consent to it.

-Mike

Even if a Federal Carry Permit comes into being it doesn't mean that all states have to honer it. Do you really think MA., NY, NJ, and some others will?
It depends on how the law i worded. All states have to recognize LEOSA rights.

The NRA endorsed Trump and never wavered. It's payback time.

National reciprocity could work if you use the commerce clause in the Constitution. I know, I know, that clause. It very well be another "camel got it's nose under the tent" but I don't see it happening any other way.

It doesn't expand government per se, but it could set dangerous precedent come mid-terms or some other point in the future where a Dem-controlled Congress and WH abolish the new law that established it.

"A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take away everything that you have." -- Thomas Jefferson

The other thought I had is that while the individual state licenses have been regularly under the authority of that state, the REAL ID act totally flipped it to the feds in a sense.

At any rate, the easiest way to get National Reciprocity on the books for us peons is to do this:

Modify a single line in LEOSA so it also includes another classification of individuals. Right now it includes two classifications: Current LEOs and retired LEOs.

Am I missing something?

It depends on how the law i worded. All states have to recognize LEOSA rights.

The NRA endorsed Trump and never wavered. It's payback time.

Ha, just reading this now.

And LEOSA protects pre-existing state statutes when it comes to magazine capacity limits. In other words, a current or retired sworn officer from NH travels to MA. He can't bring a 11+ magazine into MA without running afoul of MA state law - unless MA law carves out exceptions specifically for LEOs.

The other thought I had is that while the individual state licenses have been regularly under the authority of that state, the REAL ID act totally flipped it to the feds in a sense.

At any rate, the easiest way to get National Reciprocity on the books for us peons is to do this:

Modify a single line in LEOSA so it also includes another classification of individuals. Right now it includes two classifications: Current LEOs and retired LEOs.

Am I missing something?

There you go! Just add something about duly licensed permit holders, etc.

Back
Top Bottom