1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Nashua railroad

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by jpk, Jan 8, 2019.

1. jpk

jpk

Looks like Nashua is gearing up to foist bankruptcy on its taxpayers

New rail report unveiled in Nashua

Bottom line/conclusion is that Nashua cant affort it.....and is looking for other morons to help fund it.....

Its sad that these choo choo train retards are incapable of accepting the reality that transporting folks via bus which is flexible and not tied to fixed stops and can be done for a fraction of the price of rail

Show me a commuter rail system and I'll show you a solution that is perpetually in the red and cant operate without massive subsidies from taxpayers

fishgutzy likes this.

2. Asaltweapon

Asaltweapon NES Member

Where is Mike Dukakis when you need him the most?

3. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

People in Nashua are clamoring for this, but don't understand the financial ramifications. Especially after city hall approved $15.5mm for a Performing Arts Center in the old Alecs Shoes building. They can't raise the $4mm to jump start the $15.5mm. There is no f***ing parking downtown to support the damn "arts center". Where the f*** is anyone going to park? After the debacle of turning downtown into the worst traffic shit show ever, how do the "city planners" expect infrastructure to support an arts center?

And in regards to the proposed area where the train station "is going to be", there is NFW I am parking a car down in that area for any length of time.

4. jpk

jpk

They'll take the choo choo train to the performing arts center.....oh wait.....nevermind.....

The whole thing is full of liberal logic......

5. SpaceCritter

SpaceCritter NES Member

6. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

It's friggen awful. Especially when you have the teflon Gidge in Ward 6

Gidge.PNG

7. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

they need a HIGH SPEED rail from Nashua to Lowell.

because....well...it would be way cool

Hetzer likes this.
  8. Palladin

Palladin NES Member

ain't gonna happen

9. Spanz

Spanz NES Member

they could connect up to the trolly track that runs sporadically in lowell next to the canal

CoastieRon likes this.
  10. The5thDentist

The5thDentist NES Life Member NES Member

I get what you're saying, but you sound like the many GM propaganda movies that were made to facilitate the death of streetcars in our country.
    [Yes, I know you're talking about commuter rail, but SSDD]

Jason Flare likes this.
  11. jpk

jpk

"Streetcars" fail for the same reason that every other form of passenger rail fails......cost and fixed routes......

In contrast, a bus can go anywhere theres an existing road.......if a new development goes in no problem for a bus.....adjust the route....

Without a major infrastructure project you cant add a stop to any passenger rail solution........this has a hidden impact on property values and development....dont get me started on crime let alone taxes

If passenger rail was economical there would be piles of private companies clamoring to get permission to set up and operate it all over the country but it isnt so they arent

12. Climbnsink

Climbnsink

The main thing passenger rail does is enriches the country with city 'teenagers.'

13. Hetzer

Hetzer NES Member

Naushua's been dead to me since the Tilted Kilt closed. RIP.

Zappa, Gator9329 and timbo like this.
  14. jkelly1229

jkelly1229

Most of the time I was hoping the kilt would tilt to cover things up

Hetzer likes this.
  15. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

Well part of the problem is "getting permission" etc is difficult and the infrastructure is ancient, and half of it is share with freight carriers as the primary owners,
    etc. Even if you had billions of your own money and you felt like setting cash on fire to run a high speed railway from say, Worcester to Boston, because of
    all the nimbyism and other bullshit (mostly caused by gov and corrupt government actors etc) you'd never be able to finish it.

I also don't think the population density of places like MA really support such things. People bitch that the US doesnt have enough high speed rail etc, but the
    reality is most of our cities or even counties have the population density of places like europe and japan. This makes it difficult to get ridership up to a level
    where theres a lot of fares being injected back into the system. Tokyo, for example, has various privatized railway systems, but when you have an urban megopolis area with 35 million people in it, with horrendous car traffic, it's not hard to get fares...

The other problem with shit like commuter rail is even the existing systems have not been modernized to boost ridership. Lots of shitty old cars, poor seating
    arrangements, (like whoever came up with the MBTA 3 x 2 seat design should be hung, what a stupid f***ing design, nobody ever sits 5 in a row and the space is wasted which makes the 2 passengers on the other side less comfortable) and a general system of malaise that feels like "10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag" when you're riding on it.

-Mike

Waher likes this.
  16. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

I don't get it.... Where is this supposed to be a rail to exactly? I thought it might be to Boston, which might have hypothetically had some merit. But all the article kept saying was "bring rail to the city" ... So it is rail just within Nashua? Or do reporter not know how to report (or both) ? Maybe it goes to Shelbyville and back again.

Hetzer likes this.
  17. mwalsh9152

mwalsh9152

I really hope I'll be able to hop a train from the nashua suburbs into the big city soon!

18. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

The premise is to connect/utilize existing rail from Nashua to Lowell, thereby extending the Lowell commuter rail to Nashua. The Lowell commuter rail goes to N. Station.

Quite frankly, to me it's a waste because the commuter rail's last train out of N. Station is 10:55 PM on the week days and 11:30 PM on Saturdays. You have to leave whatever concert venue you are at before the concert ends to catch a train, and that sucks ass.

However, if you work at Raytheon in Woburn, it would be sweet.

19. Prepper

Prepper NES Member

It might work for commuter though. However, the commuter rail is just insanely slow that it would probably take 1:45 to get from Nashua to North Station. The Fitchburg line is about that slow.

20. CoastieRon

CoastieRon NES Member

If you had ever seen that kitchen, you would have never gone there again. It only took my BiL showing me pictures of the kitchen that he took ONCE to cure me of that place.

LMAO. 25 Crown St. is not suburban. It's a dump, and the only redeeming quality is it is walking distance to Bob's Pizza.

Google Maps

Oh absolutely. As well as day trips to Boston. But if you're looking for a way to get home late at night, that ain't it.

Hetzer likes this.
  21. drgrant

drgrant Moderator NES Member

It's not that slow to get to Fitchburg > Boston if you're on the express. If you're on one of the garbage trains, whole other story.

-Mike

22. wilson911

wilson911

You must have been there on a day shift.

jkelly1229 likes this.
  23. Hetzer

Hetzer NES Member

I wasn't exactly there for the food [cheers]

Last edited: Jan 8, 2019
    Jason Flare and CoastieRon like this.
  24. The5thDentist

The5thDentist NES Life Member NES Member

But it WAS and they WERE. Air travel was going to kill long distance passenger trains in the U.S. It was inevitable, and the private, for profit railroads were actually HAPPY to get rid of passenger services and pass them off to Amtrak. They were also glad to spin off regional commuter operations and focus on freight. And as far as "light rail" or streetcars and subways are concerned, the push from GM and cohorts to get rid of these services and move to bus routes is almost irreversible, even today.

But what was left out of that 60 minutes piece was GM didn't concoct this scheme to just sell buses. GM knew people HATED riding buses vs. streetcars. Their market research proves this. They did this so they could drive people away from mass transit and into private car ownership. Seriously.

Now, getting back to the real point of all this. I agree with you that .gov shouldn't be using tax money for unnecessary projects, especially since they end up being just another pork barrel project to support their union buddies. THIS is what I'm tired of.

Zappa likes this.
  25. jpk

jpk

You and I usually agree on most things so I'm not quite sure what you're taking issue with.....

People readily adopt "Good Ideas" and personal transportation has HUUUUGE benefits over semi retarded public transport modes that involve ANY form of rail....not just due to cost and schedule but all sorts of other BS like have filthy morbidly obese folks who've spent the last 3 years eating nothing but KFC sit down next to you and rest the fat rolls on the backs of their arms on your shoulder/arm and squish you out of your seat because they dont quite fit.........[puke]

If its not obvious I've logged a lot of hours on all sorts of passenger rail solutions and its generally speaking disgusting, riddled with crime.....not to mention shitty schedules and breakdowns.

That GM launched an ad campaign against passenger rail years ago I cant say I really care about.......thats free enterprise......you can do more with buses for less money than passenger rail.....its basic economics

Agreed.....this is just another example of gov fleecing tax payers to pay off their buddies

26. NHKevin

NHKevin NES Member

I say build it - and keep building it until it reaches Concord. The Everett Turnpike is a complete C-F and this might help reduce some of the volume on the highway. Traffic is only going to get worse.

27. Malodave

Malodave

25 Crown street is the address of Makeitlabs.com. They put the Park and Ride
    behind there to be ready for a new T-stop to Boston. That is also where the
    Train Tracks are.

Malodave

CoastieRon likes this.
  28. fishgutzy

fishgutzy

I used to live in JP, a block from the end of the orange line. My work place was adjacent to the Commuter rail station in Lowell.
    Taking public transit to work would take up to 2.5 hours, just one way. But driving took less than 1 hour, each way.
    When we moved to Lowell, we only took the train to Celtics games. but for anything else we had to do in Boston we drove. Try getting from Lowell to Mass General by the T. 1.5 to 2.5 hours.
    One of my brothers lives close to Wedgmere and works a short walk from North Station. Most days he takes the train. But if he has appointments during the day he drives.
    "Public Transportation" is a misnomer. It is Government Transportation. You can only go where the government allows on the schedule that government controls. Again, it is entirely about control, not convenience or the environment.
    Fun fact: In Boston and other cities, "bike lanes" were not put in to accommodate bicycles. They were designated to substantially reduce capacity for car traffic. That was the primary motivator. A drive from Dorchester to Logan used to take only 20 minutes. Now it take nearly an hour.
    Boston tried to get a city driving permit passed at a cost upwards of $10 a day.
    If they could, they would do what China does. In Shanghai it costs $15,000 just to register a car. So you see a lot of new, more pricey cars in the city because most people can't afford a car.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2019
    jpk likes this.
  29. daltrey99

daltrey99 NES Member

I have been in the rail industry for almost 20 years. I am in freight not passenger rail. Freight railroads were extremely happy to dump passenger service. Amtrak was put together by the government and never run like a real business. Amtrak can take and has taken property(rail routes) by eminent domain from freight railroads to meet their "needs" (i dont agree with this one bit!). The infrastructure for this proposed route is already there BUT it is a freight corridor and would need major upgrading to be brought up to passenger train speed grades. I have been over this route more times than I care to remember. The MBTA doesn't want to spend the money. A group in NH wants the state to put up the money and be run by a private company to make connection in Lowell with the MBTA at Gallagher Terminal. As much as the MBTA spends money like a drunken sailor, they are reluctant to spend it in another state. There is also a lot of political shenanigans between carriers. The freight company doesn't want to carry the liability so they will require someone else to upgrade the track and be on the hook for all maintenance costs. It is a win for the freight company as they are happy with the current condition of track for their freight needs. If someone wants to use their track, the other parties are responsible for upgrade and the freight company also benefits for the upgrade in track speed. Its a win/win for the freight company. They get upgrades that they don't need and don't have to pay for with no added liability. It would also have to be upgraded so that any new service would not interfere with freight operations which would likely mean added a second track at another expense to whoever wants this new service.

30. Radtekk

Radtekk NES Member