Nancy Pelosi : "Constitutionality Is NOT A Serious Question"

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This is absolutely stunning...

CNSNews.com: “Madam Speaker, where specifically does the Constitution grant Congress the authority to enact an individual health insurance mandate?”

Pelosi: “Are you serious? Are you serious?”

CNSNews.com: “Yes, yes I am.”

Pelosi then shook her head before taking a question from another reporter. Her press spokesman, Nadeam Elshami, then told CNSNews.com that asking the speaker of the House where the Constitution authorized Congress to mandated that individual Americans buy health insurance as not a "serious question."

“You can put this on the record,” said Elshami. “That is not a serious question. That is not a serious question.”
So here is the Speaker of the House, overtly dismissing a perfectly legitimate question on where the Government derives Constitutional authority to force citizen to purchase something.

How is it possible to have an elected public servant openly declare herself above the Constitution? If this doesn't define treason and a domestic enemy of the Republic, what does?

Last edited:
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How is it possible to have an elected public servant openly declare herself above the Constitution? If this doesn't define treason and a domestic enemy of the Republic, what does?
The biggest problem is where does it end? Where do we draw the line? When do we stop bitching and take action? I gotta tell you I'm damn close to the point where I'm mad as hell and am not going to take it anymore.

hminsky

NES Life Member
NES Member
Rating - 100%
61   0   0
Section 8: The Congress shall have power To lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defence and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;
Maybe it's under "general welfare"?

Rating - 100%
3   0   0
"Where specifically does the Constitution grant Congress the authority to enact insert anything Congress does these days here?”

This question should be asked of everything they are doing, and they should be forced to ANSWER! [angry]

Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Last I checked I am an American Tax Payer which means I am the BOSS!!!!

Answer THE fu**ing question

KMaurer

NES Member
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Unfortunately, it's ignoring the question seems to have been working just fine since about 1861. Why should this month be any different?
[angry2] [mg]

Ken

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Downsizedc.org has a bill called the "Enumerated Powers Act" where each law they pass must include their specific constitutional authority to pass such a law. They have other good ones, like "One Subject at a Time" where they can't sneak in some horrible thing into the "Feed the Troops" act (or any bill that would look bad if they voted no on), and the "Read the bills" act.
You can sign up on their website, and they bombard congress with emails about these bills. It's easy to do, and the fact that reporters are asking questions like this suggests that maybe they are having a positive effect. Maybe he's a downsize dc'er.
Pelosi blowing him off like that is an outrage. I find it hard to put into words how unacceptable that is. Sadly, it doesn't surprise me. And, some good can come of it. I heard this somewhere, and I am paraphrasing.. What is the best way to take down a tyrant? Make him act like a tyrant. Madam speaker is showing her true colors, and they aren't pretty.

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
She's a traitor, a coward and entirely ignorant of what made America a great country.

I'd love to see her in some type of Federal "pound you in the a$$" prison.

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Give em more rope. This is great in many ways they are comfortable enough to say what they really believe under the illusion that the whole country agrees with them. I'm happy when these unhung traitors speak their mind.

CMF

Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Who the hell insisted that it say "promote the general welfare?" That's been haunting us one way or the other ever since!
On the "general welfare" issue. As I understand it, the abuse of this clause comes from reading it outside the context of the whole document. Understood in context, it is a shorthand for the enumerated powers. Otherwise there would be no point in enumerating the powers at all as the general welfare clause would empower the federal govt. to do anything it wanted.

A related point is, the general welfare clause gives the fed power to tax but it does not give it power to spend. That power comes from the "necessary and proper" clause, which makes it clear that spending is only allowed for the enumerated purposes.

As far as Pelosi goes, her response is sickening as she is obliged to consider the issue seriously, but unfortunately federal healthcare is probably constitutional according to the ridiculous precedents set under duress by the New Deal court.

Chrisg67

NES Member
Rating - 100%
7   0   0
Give em more rope. This is great in many ways they are comfortable enough to say what they really believe under the illusion that the whole country agrees with them. I'm happy when these unhung traitors speak their mind.
unfortunatly there are too many mindless dem zombies that follow after this bs cause they think the government is trying to help them, and they dont think twice but to agree with whatever the gov wants to do.

the good guys are outnumbered [sad2]

dsm

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
On the "general welfare" issue. As I understand it, the abuse of this clause comes from reading it outside the context of the whole document. Understood in context, it is a shorthand for the enumerated powers. Otherwise there would be no point in enumerating the powers at all as the general welfare clause would empower the federal govt. to do anything it wanted.
Exactly so, and it may be helpful for those who have never done so so actually read the section. It should be pretty obvious to any reader that the general welfare clause is simply an introduction to, and summarization of, the enumerated powers that follow and, in itself, was not intended to grant any powers.

As the original poster points out, why waste space enumerating powers if the words "common defense and general welfare" were supposed to simply be an open-ended free-for-all?

Section 8. The Congress shall have power to lay and collect taxes, duties, imposts and excises, to pay the debts and provide for the common defense and general welfare of the United States; but all duties, imposts and excises shall be uniform throughout the United States;

To borrow money on the credit of the United States;

To regulate commerce with foreign nations, and among the several states, and with the Indian tribes;

To establish a uniform rule of naturalization, and uniform laws on the subject of bankruptcies throughout the United States;

To coin money, regulate the value thereof, and of foreign coin, and fix the standard of weights and measures;

To provide for the punishment of counterfeiting the securities and current coin of the United States;

To establish post offices and post roads;

To promote the progress of science and useful arts, by securing for limited times to authors and inventors the exclusive right to their respective writings and discoveries;

To constitute tribunals inferior to the Supreme Court;

To define and punish piracies and felonies committed on the high seas, and offenses against the law of nations;

To declare war, grant letters of marque and reprisal, and make rules concerning captures on land and water;

To raise and support armies, but no appropriation of money to that use shall be for a longer term than two years;

To provide and maintain a navy;

To make rules for the government and regulation of the land and naval forces;

To provide for calling forth the militia to execute the laws of the union, suppress insurrections and repel invasions;

To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States, reserving to the states respectively, the appointment of the officers, and the authority of training the militia according to the discipline prescribed by Congress;

To exercise exclusive legislation in all cases whatsoever, over such District (not exceeding ten miles square) as may, by cession of particular states, and the acceptance of Congress, become the seat of the government of the United States, and to exercise like authority over all places purchased by the consent of the legislature of the state in which the same shall be, for the erection of forts, magazines, arsenals, dockyards, and other needful buildings;--And

To make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the foregoing powers, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the United States, or in any department or officer thereof.

Rating - 100%
23   0   0
She's right. The Constitution doesn't mean squat anymore. The Republic is in it's death throes.

And yes, this is how the Republic ends. Not with a bang, but a whisper.

Twigg

NES Member
Rating - 100%
72   0   0
She's right. The Constitution doesn't mean squat anymore. The Republic is in it's death throes.

And yes, this is how the Republic ends. Not with a bang, but a whisper.
I have a feeling there will be lots of bangs if both major parties continue "Interpreting" the Constitution. [thinking]

F

Finalygotabeltfed

Rating - 100%
72   0   0
Is there any more proof needed to show that the federal government is well beyond "out of control" and that it has become a complete and total criminal enterprise?

Top Bottom