1. If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

2. Dismiss Notice

Naming a boat

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by teaser452, Apr 2, 2019.

1. AntiHippie

AntiHippie

This is all good information. Couple other points - if it’s documented, you can NOT display state numbers, just the validation sticker. Some people think they’ll avoid L/E attention this way, when in fact it’s a writeable violation. Also, if it is currently documented, you’ll need (and very much WANT, for the reasons 1776 posted) a Letter of Deletion from USCG NMC. That is a very real thing for the owner per a current COD to be presumed the responsible party for pollution incidents. It takes a lot more than “oh, some dude named Bob gave me $1,000 for it, it’s his boat now.”

Those numbers assigned on a state Certificate of Numbers? Required to be in 3” block Arabic font in a contrasting color affixed to forward half of vessel, where they are plainly visible, and the prefix and suffix spaced one character width not including “1” or “I”. I would guesstimate 50% of small recreational vessels (especially PWC’s) are non compliant. I think I’ve only seen that violation written once or twice in almost twenty years, but it is a violation.

As far as the name of the boat, for a Certificate of Numbers (aka state registration), there is very little federal interest. The name does not appear on any state’s CON (informally: registration) that I’ve ever seen, and the Coast Guard uses (supposed to use) the state number as the vessel name in it’s own computer systems.

And for the love of all things holy, keep the original registration onboard! It’s a regulatory requirement, and can be a hassle to verify - it takes much less work to write the violation then to warn it and deal with chasing it down in two different systems.

2. Arto

Arto NES Member

out on the west coast there was one named "In a Meeting" ;)

3. 1776

1776 NES Member

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 6:35 AM
  4. Brucewillis4316

Brucewillis4316 NES Member

Years ago I had a friend who rescued a 26’ lifeboat from a Norwegian freighter abandoned by the Canadian Boy Scouts. He painted it screaming zonker yellow, added lee boards and a mast. Named her “Vivre”. We would tool around Lake Sunapee with a 1/2 keg in the stern and a hibachi in the bow. Best times of our life. Wish I had photos...

5. garandman

garandman Instructor NES Member

Guilty x2, but there is barely enough room on the bow of a small boat for the number to begin with.
    [​IMG]
    The registration decal always came off, so now we put it on the inside of the transom.

Yes,and the state helps by issuing the registration on paper that turns to mush if it sees any moisture. Now, as soon as I get it, I laminate it in plastic.

We’ve been stopped once in Boston Harbor, where the State Police, Coast Guard And Boston Police all have Boats. It was early in the season and I swear he (MSP) was lonely. There is an inter-agency dispute about where exactly the no-wake zone ends in the inner harbor.

Had a visitor from Lake Champlain and they chatted away. Our boats are always as squared away as possible so nothing happened.

6. 1776

1776 NES Member

A state registration (tax payment) lists the USCG Documentation number as the registration number. I have seen documented boats with the tax sticker followed by the USCG number, is this a violation? Also, is there a requirement to have an engraved ID plate attached to the inside of the hull (engine room/transom?) with the USCG Documentation number? I saw one that had a poster board placard with the standard size & font vinyl letters on it on a cabin shelf. Is this ok?

Last edited: May 17, 2019 at 6:54 AM