• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Name that "DEFECT" ? ? ? . . .

While perusing a gun auction this bright and glorious morning (ya, right!) I was stumped to know what would cause the “defect” that a seller pointed out in a S&W revolver he had on the block. He didn’t seem to know either or at least didn’t explain why it was there. I take for granted the gent cleaned the bore aggressively to rid it of the defect before having to honestly post it in his description. Any takers as to the cause of said defect? Photos of revolver involved and sellers description below:
div255.gif
acf2bec.jpg
acf2bed.jpg
acf2bee.jpg
Seller's Description:
NO RESERVE!! Here's a Smith & Wesson K22 Target Masterpiece that was made back in 1952. Original blue finish rates about 92-93% with normal wear plus a couple of dings. Good mechanical condition with excellent timing and lock-up. There is a slight ring midway in the otherwise excellent bore (it cannot be detected on the exterior of the barrel). This revolver still shoots very accurately, guaranteed! Wears a set of later production, non-diamond S&W grips. Buyer pays $20.00 shipping...use the Buy-It-Now and get free shipping. A C&R License is acceptable for transfer.

Last edited:
I'm with Mass Mark. I think the guy fired a squib round, and possibly fired another round after that. Depending on the power of the cartridges he was using would determine the amount of damage.

I have a gun like that, with a bore that looks like someone shoved a screwdriver in it and turned the blade scraping off the rifling. The gun shoots like a dream. It looks ugly when you look down the bore, but if you didn't look you'd never know there was a problem.

A 1952 K22 with that kind of damage, shipped to your house on a C&R might not be too bad if the price was right, like $200 or less. The only problem is you don't know if when the guy says it shoots OK, if that is really true.

Judging by the case coloring on the hammer and trigger, the gun hasn't had a lot of regular use, it looks like it was carried in a field holster a lot and took some bumps and bruises, but otherwise could be a good gun. Maybe offer $150. At that price the frame is a buy.

For what it's worth, Jack the Dog, the seller, has a good reputation for selling quality, fast shipping and good service. My buddy has bought 2 dozen guns from him.

This auction now is getting higher than it should for a gun that's not in 98% condition with no flaws.

YMMV

Back
Top Bottom