• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Nagant Revolver

Anyone have one of these, I couldn't resist the $99 price and just ordered one with my C&R. Couldn't find any surplus ammo so I bought some new Privi Partisan stuff. Would love to hear anyone elses experience with one....

thanks..

I have one I think it is an interesting piece and the price is right. (found ammo for it at the Marlboro show last year)

The rounds are weak without any scientific data I would say they are equal to a .22 magnum as far as "knockdown" power. But then again I don't consider this a defensive gun (except using it as a club)

Mine wont fire double action (I don't know if this is the way they all are?)

The gas seal system is pretty neat.

It is a great gun for dry fire practice with a double action gun. (Try holding the sight still through that trigger pull)

Good luck with yours.

Every C&R holder's first C&R handgun!
The trigger pull can be lightened up.
The Prvi rounds are pretty light, but they're plenty accurate. I think it would be good for introducing new shooters. Milsurp is supposed to be much faster, but I've never seen any for sale.

Conclusion: It's a 7-shot revolver for $100. What's not to like? [grin]

55_grain

I have one I think it is an interesting piece and the price is right. (found ammo for it at the Marlboro show last year)

The rounds are weak without any scientific data I would say they are equal to a .22 magnum as far as "knockdown" power. But then again I don't consider this a defensive gun (except using it as a club)

Mine wont fire double action (I don't know if this is the way they all are?)

The gas seal system is pretty neat.

It is a great gun for dry fire practice with a double action gun. (Try holding the sight still through that trigger pull)

Good luck with yours.

The Russians issued two types of Nagants: An SA for NCOs and a DA for officers. The theory was that the DA was too complicated for the serf/conscripts and only officers could manage a DA revolver. According to some sources the SA version was phased out in about 1918 but if your revolver was dated later, it's entirely possible that production of SA revolvers continued for a time after that.

Mark L.

The Russians issued two types of Nagants: An SA for NCOs and a DA for officers. The theory was that the DA was too complicated for the serf/conscripts and only officers could manage a DA revolver. According to some sources the SA version was phased out in about 1918 but if your revolver was dated later, it's entirely possible that production of SA revolvers continued for a time after that.

Mark L.

Thanks for the info. Mine has 1941 marked on it, I can pull the trigger and dry fire DA but the only way to fire a round is SA.

Every C&R holder's first C&R handgun!

Obviously I didn't get that memo... or maybe it's because I fired SKS_Ray's MN first. I hated it, frankly. If you like yours, though, it's the right gun for you, then.

My first C&R was a Sistema Modulo 1927... aka an "Argentine Colt". Love it - great gun.
happy093.gif

Mark L.

John in Sturbridge (collectors firearms) has one and ammo too. It's about $30 per 50, which is very reasonable, considering we live in mAss and can't get them via mailorder.

ugh, those stupid, Russian "serf/conscripts" again. [frown] There were no such assumptions, when DA became available and SA weren't all converted to DA, as an officer you got the best pick, no intelligence tests required. The only real "officer" model was a short barrel ones that were easier to carry due to smaller size. It had nothing to do with intelligence of Russian serfs.

Ironically DA was specifically prohibited by requirements due to "worse accuracy results." Other interesting requirements were the ability to punch through 4-5 inches of pine board and also being able to stop a horse at about 50 feet (cavalry was primary purchaser)

Thanks for all the info I should have it tomorrow, so I will post some pics and a range report. No idea what version I am getting for $100 who cares...

the trigger pull is strong in these because you are not only releasing (or cocking in DA) the hammer but also seating the barrel against the cylinder with every pull.

a unique gun. But don't expect it to win any beauty awards.

the trigger pull is strong in these because you are not only releasing (or cocking in DA) the hammer but also seating the barrel against the cylinder with every pull.

a unique gun. But don't expect it to win any beauty awards.

+1 Just look at this guy trying to fire it double-action... [smile]
500px-EnemyGatesNagantPistol2.jpg

From "Enemy at the Gates"

It does have one unique quality - it is, I believe, the only revolver that can be suppressed - because that cylinder moves forward and seals against the barrel.

Which doesn't do squat for anyone in MA, of course. [thinking]

I'll be ordering one soon. Grandfather had one last time I went to visit a couple weeks ago. He was making brass out of (IIRC) 32-20 WCF. his trigger pull was lighter than normal. Apparently if you take a hex nut, remove the grips, and place it between the hammer spring and the frame it cuts down on the pull weight. Instructions are online.

OK here it is 1939 and it looks like it just left the factory! How is that possible 72 years and it looks like new!!

DSCF0146.jpg

DSCF0145.jpg

Trigger pull is awesome....OK awesome if you use 2 hands and can bench press 300 lbs!!!!

If you end up really liking the design, its easy to get into collecting Nagant type revolvers because they're all reasonably cheap. There are even some without import stamps but they're hard to find. Others have very small barrel stamps. Here is one of mine:

100_0896.jpg

Thats pretty incredible is the frame polished on that one? I hear you on the import stamp could they have made it any bigger or put it in a worse spot!
I love the gun and can't wait to shoot it.

Thats pretty incredible is the frame polished on that one? I hear you on the import stamp could they have made it any bigger or put it in a worse spot!
I love the gun and can't wait to shoot it.

That one is original finish I think. It must have been just very well cared for or barely saw any use.
PW Arms is notorious for blasting an import stamp in the worst places on a gun. They make Century look like artisans.
Like I said though, you can always seek out more on auction sites, and from distributors that have small stampings if you want to collect.
Here is a shot of an Izzy I have that has the refinish bluing:

NagantCal.jpg

One thing that amazes me about these guns, that for a military arm from a country that prideed itself in simplistic weapons, is just how laborious these are to load and unload. Even the SAA is faster to reload than these things...

Fast reloads not needed by glorious commanders of Soviet Service. Revolver of Nagant design reload suitable fast for shoot traitor conscripts soldier deserting from enemy. Comrade Stalin Orders of #227

THE SUPREME COMMAND OF THE RED ARMY ORDERS:

1. The military Councils of the fronts and first of all front commanders should:

a) In all circumstances decisively eradicate retreat attitude in the troops and with an iron hand prevent propaganda that we can and should continue the retreat to the east, and this retreat will not be harmful to us;

b) In all circumstances remove from offices and send to Stavka for court-martial those army commanders who allowed their troops to retreat at will, without authorisation by the Front command;

c) Form within each Front 1 to 3 (depending on the situation) penal battalions (800 personnel), where commanding, senior commanders and political officers of corresponding ranks from all services, who have broken discipline due to cowardice or instability, should be sent. These battalions should be put on the more difficult sections of a Front, thus giving them an opportunity to redeem their crimes against the Motherland by blood.

2. The Military Councils of armies and first of all army commanders should:

a) In all circumstances remove from offices corps and army commanders and commissars, who have allowed their troops to retreat at will without authorisation by the army command, and send them to the Military Councils of the Fronts for court-martial;

b) Form 3 to 5 well-armed guards (barrage) units (zagradotryads), deploy them in the rear of unstable divisions and oblige them to execute panic-mongers and cowards at site in case of panic and chaotic retreat, thus giving faithful soldiers a chance to do their duty before the Motherland;

c) Form 5 to 10 (depending on the situation) penal companies, where soldiers and NCOs, who have broken discipline due to cowardice or instability, should be sent. These units should be deployed at the most difficult sectors of the front, thus giving their soldiers an opportunity to redeem their crimes against the Motherland by blood.

3. Corps and division commanders and commissars should:

a) In all circumstances remove from offices regiment and battalion commanders and commissars who allowed their troops to retreat at will without authorisation from divisional or corps command, deprive them of their military decorations and send them to the Military Councils of fronts for court-martial;

b) Provide all possible help and support to the guards (barrage) units (zagradotryads) of the army in their work of strengthening discipline and order in the units.

This order is to be read aloud in all companies, troops, batteries, squadrons, teams and staffs.

Back
Top Bottom