n00b hunter

I think I may want to try hunting one of these days. I've been shooting for a few years, and I'm safe and reasonably competent (though less practiced in long-gun skills). Comfortable outdoors, etc. Really, from what I read here and elsewhere, it sounds like a lot of fun.

I'd like to give it a whirl, but I'd rather not invest a lot of time, serious training, and $/gear until it's something I know I'd do regularly.

Are there "guides" or courses for us newbies to join up with? It doesn't matter much to me what the game is, as long as it's something that can be dressed and consumed safely.

I suppose this might be a good excuse to buy another firearm to develop my long-gun skills, so those suggestions are appreciated as well. :)

As a new hunter you will need to take a Hunter Safety course to
get a license. Go to MassWildlife's website to find locations and
a copy of the hunting regs. You will have lots of ideas about what
you would like to hunt after you take the course.

F

As a new hunter you will need to take a Hunter Safety course to
get a license. Go to MassWildlife's website to find locations and
a copy of the hunting regs. You will have lots of ideas about what
you would like to hunt after you take the course.

F

Thanks. Looks like I'm SOL this year for these courses, unless more pop up. This is really required of all hunters, even those going with a guide and/or hunting on private land? I wonder if the same applies to NH also.

Wayland, MA

Take the hunter safety course, there are tons out there (unless you've been previously licensed in another state, then you don't need one). If you get your license, and are ever on the north shore, you're more than welcome to come with me. I even have a gun you can use.

Yes, NH requires Basic Hunter's Education too. And it's well worth your time and energy to take the class. You'll learn stuff you didn't know was worth learning. So be sure to take the class.

As far as game goes, try starting with small game like squirrels. A good book is the Ultimate Guide to Squirrel Hunting. Squirrels taste good and are a great way to start hunting.

Good luck and remember safety first at all times while in the woods. [grin]

Thanks. Looks like there's a home study option for NH, and NH licenses are usable in MA.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/hunter_ed_homestudy.htm

Now I just have to wait for an exam/field day to open up; it's much easier than traveling to several classes.

Thanks. Looks like there's a home study option for NH, and NH licenses are usable in MA.

http://www.wildlife.state.nh.us/Hunting/hunter_ed_homestudy.htm

Now I just have to wait for an exam/field day to open up; it's much easier than traveling to several classes.
If you take a hunter education course in NH to fulfill the MA requirement, you do not need to get a NH hunting license if you're not going to hunt in NH. MassWildlife will accept the NH course certificate.
As was previously stated if you've ever held a hunting license anywhere in the US or Canada you do not need the class.
Go to MassWildlife and follow the link for licensing.

Oddly, when I got my MA hunting lic in 2003, my LTC was considered "good enough" to get a license. Then when I moved to ME, the MA licnese served to get me a ME license. Never been to a hunter's safety course.

Fortunately, my brother in law mentors me in hunting, and I don't go out that much.

Take the hunter safety course, there are tons out there (unless you've been previously licensed in another state, then you don't need one). If you get your license, and are ever on the north shore, you're more than welcome to come with me. I even have a gun you can use.

Thanks, that's kind of you.

Back
Top Bottom