N00b hunter looking for tips

So I am looking to get in to hunting. In Jan I took and passed my hunters safety class. I also bought my license and entered for my doe tag. I still need to buy my turkey tag but that is easy enough online. I am looking to give spring turkey a try.

Anyone have any tips? I have all of the camo and a mouth call. I am thinking about picking up a box call as well. Is there anything else that I should pick up?

Scouting I am pretty lost. Do I just need to spend the afternoon walking around in the woods looking for signs of Turkey?

Also has anyone ever hunted at the Westboro WMA? I imagine that there are a bunch of hunters and probably not too much to be hunted.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I am pretty sure all of the turkeys have migrated to burbs. They strut around like they own the place, completely unphased by people or traffic.

pattern the shotgun before you try hunting. turkey choke, turkey loads. Pattern it at various distances so you know how likely you'll be to get a hit. Try different brands of turkey loads, and if you can afford it, different turkey chokes.

If you can't hook up with another veteran hunter maybe look into hiring a guide for turkey season this year. Your odds will be Hire and you will learn a lot more than trial and error on your own. As for calls, I use mouth calls mainly but I also have been using them for 10+ years. A good box and slate calls will do the job. Patterning is critical, do it easy and stick with that ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All good advice. The sticker is mandatory (and silly). Patterning your shotgun should be mandatory. Not enough people take the time to see how their gun hits. You'll want a good, heavy turkey load and a full choke. Camouflage everything and douse your clothes with tick repellent. Those little suckers are everywhere.
Practice your calling. YouTube is a big help with calling demos.
And if you end up getting skunked come to my house. I counted one flock of 18 this morning under my bird feeders and another flock with over 20 working their way through my holly bushes. I'd say there are as many turkeys as squirrels in my area.

Last edited:
1. If you are going to try using a mouth call, start calling now...find turkeys and see if you can get them to talk back to you. When I lived in Tewksbury we had a ton of them in my neighborhood so I used them as my practice birds...do try to learn how to call where you are hunting, they will learn what you (a threat) sounds like and will avoid your calls.

2. Pattern your gun. www.aces.edu/pubs/docs/A/ANR-0634/ANR-0634.pdf targets.s3.amazonaws.com/PDF/TurkeyTarget.pdf

3. Start scouting for roosts

4. Get your NWTF Don't be stupid sticker

5. Treat your cloths with permethrin

6. Get out and enjoy the woods

dafuq are you guys talking about sticker? Is that trolling?

ETA I see it, that's ****ing retarded. Never hunted turkey before but that has to be one of the most absurd rules i have ever read.

Last edited:
OP......Starting as a hunting rookie for turkey is a tough one man! I'd say for now start driving back roads near WMA land and areas you k ow you can hunt in the early morning. If you see turkeys out and about keep those spots in mind. Yes start scouting now. Early mornings. Go out a s listen and look around for sign. Scratched up leaves and c shaped bird shit are signs.

Most important......Turkey hunting is a challenge even for experienced hunters. Don't get discouraged. Enjoy your time in the woods! I'll say it again for emphasis.....Enjoy your time in the woods. That is what hunting is about mostly. Bagging a turkey is just a bonus.

When squirrel season opens in zones 1-9 in september I recommend you take advantage of that. It's a great way to spend a 2-3 hour hunt......And the success rate is pretty high if you learn to find stands of oak and hickory and move quiet. I hunt squirrel alot in the fall.....Had alot of good times with my son doing it and made some great meals out of what we bring home. Also.......Scout for deer while you are squirrel hunting. Bonus.

Enjoy your turkey season and like I said.......dont get in your head that a successful season is bagging a bird......Success is getting out there and spending time in the woods.

I'm new too. I just went through the 4 day h.s. course last October and got out a couple of times end of last yr. I like Whacko's advice ^. Just get out there, be dressed right, learn to listen, practice calling and enjoy- hopefully you hear them talking back. I'm going to pattern my 18.5" defense cannon. I have a great turkey choke that I ordered for it. They're smart little bastards. It seems common that you could scout a spot, see them, come back early next morning suited up, and never hear from them again.

I'm new too. I just went through the 4 day h.s. course last October and got out a couple of times end of last yr. I like Whacko's advice ^. Just get out there, be dressed right, learn to listen, practice calling and enjoy- hopefully you hear them talking back. I'm going to pattern my 18.5" defense cannon. I have a great turkey choke that I ordered for it. They're smart little bastards. It seems common that you could scout a spot, see them, come back early next morning suited up, and never hear from them again.

Yeah. .many times I've been out hunting alone.......Fallen asleep and wake up 3 hours later and go back to the truck thinking "now that was a great day hunting". Lol

Just enjoy the woods.

Yeah. .many times I've been out hunting alone.......Fallen asleep and wake up 3 hours later and go back to the truck thinking "now that was a great day hunting". Lol

Just enjoy the woods.

This. Best nap I ever had was an April morning in the woods. Fell asleep about 10:00, woke up at around 11:00 with the birds singing and the forest totally alive. It's cliche, but it was magical.

Didn't even see a Turkey that whole season (last year) until I left the property. There was a hen turkey walking along the road without a care in the world.

Back
Top Bottom