• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

N.O. SD shooting, very different from a Mass. shooting

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf..._at_joe_mcknight_f.html#incart_river_home_pop

The basic story is a road rage involving a former/possibly returning NFL player getting shot.
Police take the shooter in, interview him. Facts lead them to believe he was inside his vehicle, the NFL player left fingerprints on the passenger door of the shooter's vehicle. NFL was shot through open pax side window.

Shooter is released pending further investigation. As of last I heard, no charges pending. La has a strong stand your ground law and your vehicle is an extension of your house by law.

I believe the shooter is late 50's and white. NFL was a mid 20's black guy, played for NY Jets (I believe), was trying to get picked up again after playing in the CFL. Safe to say, he'd be a little intimidating.
The NFL guy's step-father is a former Jefferson Sheriff Deputy. So NFL was known personally to the Sheriff, at least he said he knew him personally.
JPSO has already stated they will arrest anyone who protests other than peacefully.

What little forensics they have released:
One gunshot wound to his hand, two to the chest. The killing round entered near right nipple, traveled downward through liver and something else relatively major. To me this suggests to me he was bent over facing the shooter, helping the defense.

Happened about 2 miles from where I work. So, Monday might be fun getting to work.

Personal take (not necessarily how I feel, just how I see it): He may get jammed up on the fact NFL was at his passenger door (too far away to do harm). The fact that the NFL was the aggressor, was young and in shape vs a 'older' man(good for defense). NFL chased him about 2 miles before the confrontation(decent defense, he was being chased near a really bad part of town (Algiers Projects). Why didn't he just drive off when NFL got out of his vehicle to confront shooter (this could go either way, NFL was in an Audi SUV, so fast and nimble making it hard to get away)?

I hope the parenthesis aren't too hard to follow, but it's either that or a metric butt ton of commas and semi-colons.

If it's a repost, sorry, I went 4 pages deep.

NFL guy's toxicology would be real interesting, hope those are public in LA.
Anybody within hearing distance of my dashcam will be getting voice recorded.

Huffpo and other liberal-progressive outlets are already making it a race thing, and alleging that according to "witnesses," Gasser got out of his car, shoved McKnight to the ground, then pumped him full of lead.

There's not a doubt in my mind that this is going to turn into another Trayvon/Zimmerman shitshow.

What's a "Massachusetts shooting"?

One where a convicted murderer armed with a stolen full auto breaks into your house at 2 AM and fires at you, but you are still arrested and charged after shooting him in self defense because that's just not enough evidence to show you were justified.

One where a convicted murderer armed with a stolen full auto breaks into your house at 2 AM and fires at you, but you are still arrested and charged after shooting him in self defense because that's just not enough evidence to show you were justified.

Not to be argumentative, but wasn't there a shooting in Springfield where three guys bribe into a guys house in the wee hours on the AM after banging on the door and the homeowner shot one of the three, the other too shattered and he was never arrested and it was declared "self defense"?

OP is correct about Louisiana law. We have lots of family there, including LEO's. Given that your car is an extension of your home, pistol in the glove box is no problem & no permit necessary. Imagine only needing an LTC for when you actually CC- what a concept.

Evidence looks like the shots were 'clean'. I certainly hope that they were. Funny that many of the news reports mention McKnight dying in a road rage incident- nothing about him being the attacker.

Not to be argumentative, but wasn't there a shooting in Springfield where three guys bribe into a guys house in the wee hours on the AM after banging on the door and the homeowner shot one of the three, the other too shattered and he was never arrested and it was declared "self defense"?

If it's the case that I'm thinking of it happened in Chicopee, He was arrested and is awaiting trial now.
https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bo...cl0GGLI6XEMlgCBDvezQyL/amp.html?client=safari

Huffpo and other liberal-progressive outlets are already making it a race thing, and alleging that according to "witnesses," Gasser got out of his car, shoved McKnight to the ground, then pumped him full of lead.

There's not a doubt in my mind that this is going to turn into another Trayvon/Zimmerman shitshow.

They don't stand for that shit down there, period. They're good folks down there.

Last edited:
Give me a ****ing break with statements like this. [rolleyes]

The Sheriff is keeping a lot of the facts close to his chest, since there is a direct family connection to his department. You have to understand one thing about Louisiana: Sheriffs are insanely powerful down here. They have almost absolute rule over the parish/county when it comes to law enforcement and they do NOT like outside agencies, even state police, stepping in.

He did a press conference that I watched live where he flat out said most of what if being said on social media is BS. But he put some rumors to rest as best he could.

The shooter was released without being charged. I would expect the case to go to a Grand Jury and be no billed. I'm pretty sure that we aren't getting more than about 1/10 of the story right now. It's not unusual for eye witnesses to be unreliable even if they think they are telling the truth. Not to mention that many of them make shit up. Look at the BS stories about the Michael Brown shooting.

The laws in LA (and most of the rest of the country) are much better than in MA. Unless we find out that the shooter started the confrontation, I wouldn't be surprised if he's not charged, his gun is returned to him, and he goes on his way.

The Sheriff is keeping a lot of the facts close to his chest, since there is a direct family connection to his department. You have to understand one thing about Louisiana: Sheriffs are insanely powerful down here. They have almost absolute rule over the parish/county when it comes to law enforcement and they do NOT like outside agencies, even state police, stepping in.

He did a press conference that I watched live where he flat out said most of what if being said on social media is BS. But he put some rumors to rest as best he could.

http://www.nola.com/crime/index.ssf/2016/12/joe_mcknights_shooter_was_cite.html#incart_push

The man who shot and killed Joe McKnight was cited a decade ago after a road rage incident in which he allegedly beat another man on the same intersection where he shot McKnight on Thursday, authorities said.

Ronald Gasser was issued a misdemeanor summons for simple battery in the Feb. 20, 2006 incident, after a man said Gasser attacked him and beat him with his fist, the Jefferson Parish Sheriff's Office said. The charge was ultimately dismissed, but will be reviewed again now, JPSO said in a press release.

Turtle Boy Sports was on a rampage tweeting full retard about this basically calling all gun owners pussies. For the life of me I can't understand why The Gun Parlor advertises on his website. The guy is a left wing hack, that claims to be the opposite. It's not the first time he's gone on an anti gun rampage. His last one stated people, especially women, can't possibly carry a gun while jogging.

Attachments

• IMG_0099.jpg
    IMG_0099.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 52
update in this case, as the individual is now charged w manslaughter

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/12/0...r-joe-mcknight-charged-with-manslaughter.html

Gasser shot McKnight three times from inside his car while McKnight stood outside and then gave his handgun to deputies when they arrived at the scene soon afterward, Normand said. Authorities said no weapon was found on or near McKnight's body.

This is different than what the earlier reports indicated and might bolster his claim of self defense.

Turtle Boy Sports was on a rampage tweeting full retard about this basically calling all gun owners pussies. For the life of me I can't understand why The Gun Parlor advertises on his website. The guy is a left wing hack, that claims to be the opposite. It's not the first time he's gone on an anti gun rampage. His last one stated people, especially women, can't possibly carry a gun while jogging.

It's kind of ironic that I think on his page GunParlor is a sponsor.... [rofl]

If that was 10+ years ago, I know the homeowner in that case. He wasn't arrested but he was charged; it was a big legal battle and the organizations we all support helped foot the bill.

Hmmm fat out of shape blogger vs insanely jacked former NFL player who's training for a comeback. Turtle boy would live up to his name I think.

Back
Top Bottom