• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

N.H.: veterans can apply for education benefits online

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20091005-NEWS-910059992

veterans can apply for education benefits online

October 05, 2009 8:57 AM

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — New Hampshire veterans eligible for emergency payment on their Post-9/11 GI Bill education benefits can now apply online for them.

The VA has authorized checks for up to $3,000 to be given to veterans who have applied for benefits but have yet to receive their payment.

Instead of traveling to the Manchester benefits office, New Hampshire veterans can apply for emergency assistance online. Payments will then be sent through the mail.

Veterans can access the application by visiting http://www.va.gov

Congressman Paul Hodes announced the eligibility Friday.

Dench. the VA tries to wear you down until you walk away. You have to stay politely in their face and be your own advocate to push your claims along. It took 4 years from the day I filed until the decision was made on my claim. You can't let up and you can't give up or the bastards win.

It is better to go to the local office if you can. I went to the VA office in Boston on Friday for this. There was a steady stream of vets coming in. About a 45min wait, but if you had your certificate of eligibility and proof of registration in school it was no questions and no fuss.

The VA people were handwriting the checks.

i want to bump this thread to say how big of a f' up this entire program is.

the wait time is supposed to be 6 weeks till you get a answer on your eligibility and all that BS.

well im at the 9 week mark and have been trying to call the VA hotline for this program. any normal place would have you call and youd be placed in a line to wait to speak to an operator. not so at the f'n VA. when you call, your given a sob story about how busy the VA is and then you have the option to speak to a counselor. well, all lines are busy and then it hangs up.

f'n great.

another giant piece of shit brought to you by uncle sam.

everyone at that buffalo VA office needs to be fired and thrown out of the country.

I haven't received a GI Bill disbursement since June. Every time I call, the automated menu hangs up on me just like Dench describes.

I haven't received a GI Bill disbursement since June. Every time I call, the automated menu hangs up on me just like Dench describes.

what sort of a**h*** at the VA even comes up with these policies?
why would the VA have one office in buffalo run this entire program instead of each regional office handle its local claims?

what are we supposed to do? we have endless amounts of benefits promised to us, with literally no way of getting them and no way to find out whats going on with the process.

the boston VA office already told me they cant do anything about it, and buffalo wont even answer the damn phone.

the level of bullshit and bureaucracy in the VA system is so ridiculous youd figure they set it up that way just so it doesnt work.

i guess in the winter semester ill pay my rent with a promise to my landlord while the VA sits around and does nothing. the VA educational department is such a trainwreck!

what sort of a**h*** at the VA even comes up with these policies?
why would the VA have one office in buffalo run this entire program instead of each regional office handle its local claims?

what are we supposed to do? we have endless amounts of benefits promised to us, with literally no way of getting them and no way to find out whats going on with the process.

the boston VA office already told me they cant do anything about it, and buffalo wont even answer the damn phone.

the level of bullshit and bureaucracy in the VA system is so ridiculous youd figure they set it up that way just so it doesnt work.

i guess in the winter semester ill pay my rent with a promise to my landlord while the VA sits around and does nothing. the VA educational department is such a trainwreck!

I've been avoiding the VA as much as I can because of this. The only thing I've used them for is my home loan, and the mortgage companies do all the work. I just provide the DD214 and the signatures.

I've had very little problems with VA Chapter 31 benefits (vocational rehab) throught the Manchester NH office.

Any discrepencies have been cleared up in 7 - 10 days.

One of the counselors called me back at 8:00pm one time because they were still working claims.

The stipend payments are made through electronic deposit.

When I get a tuition bill from school, I stop by the financial aid office and let them know I'm a VA student. They say, "Okay, we'll bill them instead." The VA might not pay the school right away, but I've never been denied registration or told not to go to class because of it.

Chapter 31 does not reduce you GI bill benefits either. You can't use them at the same time, but Chapter 31 does not have a monetary limit.

Back
Top Bottom