N/D Of The Week

Note how the Boston news changed the original article to fit the "guns just go off" narrative:

Boston25News: "...when a gun accidentally discharged."

Original (source) article: "... a child had been “accidentally shot” at a residence..."

Another case of an unsupervised gun going rogue and shooting someone:

Why do you keep posting in the same thread?

Don't you know, you should be creating a new thread for every incident and number the threads that way people know how many similar threads you created.

Bonus points if you can create at least 5 threads in one day.

Why do you keep posting in the same thread?

Don't you know, you should be creating a new thread for every incident and number the threads that way people know how many similar threads you created.

Bonus points if you can create at least 5 threads in one day.
14826851101650s.jpg

An initial investigation shows that the brothers had shot a deer and were attempting to load it into their truck when a gun leaning on the vehicle fell and discharged, striking both teens.

This is why game wardens write you up for leaving a loaded rifle or shotgun leaning up against a vehicle

This is why game wardens write you up for leaving a loaded rifle or shotgun leaning up against a vehicle

The only hunting accident I ever saw was back in 1975, when a buddy set his shotgun over a fence before climbing over. It dropped and shot him in the foot. We were hunting birds before high school in Iowa, and were just entering his Uncle’s field from the roadside. As there were no phones back then, I tied my orange scarf over his foot, helped him back to his pickup and drove him to the ER. Good thing it was birdshot and not 00Buck.

I'm always curious what kind of guns people have when shit like this happens- Hopefully it wasn't one of those SIG's.

I have to admit, I lean my rifle against my car a fair bit, but usually against the side where if it fell its not going to shoot me, and always with the safety on.

I'm always curious what kind of guns people have when shit like this happens- Hopefully it wasn't one of those SIG's.

I have to admit, I lean my rifle against my car a fair bit, but usually against the side where if it fell its not going to shoot me, and always with the safety on.
Don't get caught leaning a loaded rifle against any kind of vehicle.

reminds me of my nephew when he was 6. we found him in his grandmothers car, across the street from the driveway where it was parked, with the neighbors hedges plowed up and the car sitting half in their front yard. he didn't know how it happened, the damn car just left the driveway on it's own after he got in and shut the door. he neglected to mention he released the emergency brake and muscled it into neutral.

I think quite a lot of shotguns and rifles aren't drop safe, and a lot of safeties only block the trigger. Seems more likely to get shot in the foot or the ankle, but I guess in this case there was a rock or something? It's frustrating that these incidents are reported on as human interest stories instead of accident reports.

What kind of sketchy ass rifle fires when it falls over?
That was my first reaction.
But how many such ND fatalities happen across the nation every season?
WTF up with that?

I think quite a lot of shotguns and rifles aren't drop safe, ...
On the one hand, a recent NES discussion has given me an added appreciation
for the engineering involved in drop-safe design.

On the other hand, I'm not smart enough to see how a longarm pivoting on its butt
is going to make the firing pin jump forward enough to trigger a primer.
Those kind of drops are the kind where a muzzle strikes the ground first.

Mustn't most of these NDs be a sear jumping off the hooks?
(Or the equivalent for the action).

I can understand someone hoisting a loaded longarm up to a tree stand
and having a twig pull the trigger.
And I can imagine someone dropping a longarm from a tree stand
moving a firing pin.

But the longarm just rotating like a hand on a clock moving from noon to 3?
I'd believe a stick pulling the trigger as it settled on the ground
before I'd believe an impulse shock moving on the firing pin.
And that's not a gun design issue - that's PEBHAC.
(Problem Exists Between Hat And Collar).

[angry]

Well, I don't know much about all the rifle/shotgun actions.
Someone go ahead and school me here.

How many of today's hunting firearms are guns that were inexpensive 80 years ago? And how many of those have received no maintenance in the last 80 years except for a home trigger job 75 years ago? I believe the answer to this question is "not that many, just a few."

But that few is still large enough that I am never surprised by accidents which involve a mechanical defect or malfunction.

Mustn't most of these NDs be a sear jumping off the hooks?
(Or the equivalent for the action).

I am not in position to school anyone on the subject, but that is more or less what I thought was happening. Moving parts can't be press fit, obviously. There's a tiny bit of play here, a spring there, and all of it installed in some larger part that was milled, cast, or molded.

How many of today's hunting firearms are guns that were inexpensive 80 years ago? And how many of those have received no maintenance in the last 80 years except for a home trigger job 75 years ago? I believe the answer to this question is "not that many, just a few."

But that few is still large enough that I am never surprised by accidents which involve a mechanical defect or malfunction.
I just checked out a rifle for someone that hadn't cleaned it in since the 50's!
Loaded with carbon and lead. Barrel all fouled up. It was filthy.

a male was walking through the store and adjusting his pants when the firearm he had in his waistband discharged. It appears the shot was accidental and no one was injured by the bullet

Police said the gun owner ran from the mall and has not been found. Officers continue to investigate the incident but urged gun owners to leave their weapons at home when shopping

Way to start the New Year off with a bang:

Way to start the New Year off with a bang:

Cook said one of the occupants later told police they were celebrating and dancing inside the apartment, they had a gun out and it accidentally went off and struck the child in the head.​

A dancing pop.
Which FBI office is the shooter stationed at?
[angry]

reminds me of my nephew when he was 6. we found him in his grandmothers car, across the street from the driveway where it was parked, with the neighbors hedges plowed up and the car sitting half in their front yard. he didn't know how it happened, the damn car just left the driveway on it's own after he got in and shut the door. he neglected to mention he released the emergency brake and muscled it into neutral.
I did this in my father's tow truck when I was 5 or 6. Must have been terrifying watching an F350 roll backwards into the street.

Back
Top Bottom