N/D Of The Week

He was heard saying” i can’t wait to get home and rip my wife’s pantys off,
they're all bunched up my “BANG.

I know I'm going to catch some sh@t for this, but.....
When I look at how I learned and practice firearms safety, and how those around me do, I can't help thinking that there are a lot more being less careful now than then. And yes I'm saying younger shooters aren't as careful. I'm not saying it's everyone, just that I see more under, say 35, users who just seem to be less careful. Maybe I just had a lucky background, and maybe I'm just not seeing a good sample today, I don't know. But I'd be curious to hear other people impressions.

When I look at how I learned and practice firearms safety, and how those around me do, I can't help thinking that there are a lot more being less careful now than then. And yes I'm saying younger shooters aren't as careful. I'm not saying it's everyone, just that I see more under, say 35, users who just seem to be less careful. Maybe I just had a lucky background, and maybe I'm just not seeing a good sample today, I don't know. But I'd be curious to hear other people impressions.
Ya, I think more people are practicing their rights (good) but maybe didn’t grow up with guns and not taught the big rules. Also, the younger adults might look at guns like toys, not tools.

An unnamed instructor told us that he almost drew his gun in the grocery line.

The check out made the same exact sound as the starting timer for IDPA.

Perhaps he was not paying attention to where he was but when he heard the beep he wanted to draw his gun.

At least that was what I seem to recall from his story.

Maybe he was telling it as a joke - can't remember - but grocery lines can be deadly!

My experience has been the opposite -- had more old timers muzzle sweep me than anyone else. Probably depends a lot on the range you go to.

Perhaps he was not paying attention to where he was but when he heard the beep he wanted to draw his gun.

Maybe he was telling it as a joke - can't remember - but grocery lines can be deadly!

Imagine explaining to the cops. "Seriously, my classical conditioning got triggered by a cash register." [rofl]

My experience is the older crowd is far worse on the range. Their mindset seems to be that they've been shooting for so long that they can do no wrong. Very complacent with firearm safety (sweeping other shooters, finger never leaves the trigger, etc) but will gladly point out all the "unsafe" activities at the club.

My experience is the older crowd is far worse on the range. Their mindset seems to be that they've been shooting for so long that they can do no wrong. Very complacent with firearm safety (sweeping other shooters, finger never leaves the trigger, etc) but will gladly point out all the "unsafe" activities at the club.

il_340x270.2152825929_eygi.jpg

Imagine explaining to the cops. "Seriously, my classical conditioning got triggered by a cash register." [rofl]

Yeah, good luck with that. Hopefully in CCW mode, the gun won't be where the hand goes to draw. What gets me are folks practicing draws from concealment using a shot timer. I'm not talking about using a shot timer to see how fast you can draw, i.e. you practice your draw over and over without a shot timer, and then you use the shot timer to check your speed. That's fine. But actually practicing with it over and over again doesn't seem like a good idea to me.

Ever hear the story of the Brookline cop that was working the front desk one night and shot the telephone ???

I don't know I see some dangerous Fudds at the range often. I am surprised there are not more accidents then there are, or maybe there is a lot of luck involved?

I am surprised there are not more accidents then there are, or maybe there is a lot of luck involved?

The wisdom of keeping the finger off the trigger until the sights are on the target is often evidenced by the infrastructure at the range, stuff that shouldn't have bullet holes and gouges having bullet holes and gouges. But I think it would be a mistake to infer your actual risk of being shot by an old-timer sweeping you from this. They're probably all created while the shooter was doing something they shouldn't have, but not while just sweeping. The actual risk of you being shot is probably lower than risks you routinely accept in life that can't be eliminated. It's just that there's no excuse for it.

Yeah, good luck with that. Hopefully in CCW mode, the gun won't be where the hand goes to draw. What gets me are folks practicing draws from concealment using a shot timer. I'm not talking about using a shot timer to see how fast you can draw, i.e. you practice your draw over and over without a shot timer, and then you use the shot timer to check your speed. That's fine. But actually practicing with it over and over again doesn't seem like a good idea to me.
Not sure if serious, that's the whole point of the device. [laugh] Yesterday hundreds of people probably practiced with a timer and nobody got shot, nor did someone think about pulling a gun in a grocery line... Obviously, from concealment, more caution has to be used when going back to holster, etc... but that has nothing to do with the timer.

Not sure if serious, that's the whole point of the device. [laugh] Yesterday hundreds of people probably practiced with a timer and nobody got shot, nor did someone think about pulling a gun in a grocery line... Obviously, from concealment, more caution has to be used when going back to holster, etc... but that has nothing to do with the timer.

Silly me. I thought the point of the device is to measure the time it takes you to draw and shoot and to measure your split times. You mean the beep is the primary function of the device and the shot timer part is only secondary?

Silly me. I thought the point of the device is to measure the time it takes you to draw and shoot and to measure your split times. You mean the beep is the primary function of the device and the shot timer part is only secondary?

I never said that, but regardless, I don't see where using the beep/buzzer is an ActualProblem(tm).

-Mike

You're probably right. Even if it isn't an ActualProblem(tm), that doesn't imply that high reps with a shot timer is a good way to train for SD.

Maybe it is, maybe it isn't (we probably could have a 10 page tactical dynamic critical duty pincus thread about it) but regardless its hard to argue that learning how to get a gun into operation safely, faster is a bad thing. Maybe some people like to have a random buzzer. Maybe someone else will have a friend throw an object at them, In a perfect world I would just be rich and have a bunch of transistor radios downrange, tuned into various local stations. and then start a scenario from some position where you had to wait around, and then when 1877 kars for kids starts playing, you have to shoot the radio until it stops. [laugh]

-Mike

The statistics suggest that when people get shot, it's almost always intended than by accident. Accidents continue to decline as gun ownership continues to go up.

Or - more people that get shot by accident just call it a piercing and don't go to the hospital or call 911. Dunno...

Romero said he believed the incident was a “stupid mistake.”

No schitt sherlock

According to his arrest report, Suarez was showing his gun to a maintenance worker when the gun discharged.
The victim was shot in the eye.

I can't imagine being shot in the eye, from a distance under six feet, and not get seriously fukkt up.

"it's nothing, just a flesh wound, think nothing of it.
Would you mind just dropping me off at the hospital on your way home?

Suarez dropped him off at the Cleveland Clinic before going home

That was nice of him.

He faces a charge of possession of a firearm on school property.

If this was any of the big twelve leftist stronghold states, he'd being facing waaaay more charges than that.

The victim’s current condition is unclear.

Again, he was shot in the freakin' EYE.
I'd like to know the caliber and direction of travel of the bullet.
It was a security guards gun, so they're likely to be 9's or .40's.
I'm sure it's not a Colt 4th model in .22 short.
And I wouldn't want to get shot in the eye with one of those either.

Last edited:

No schitt sherlock

I can't imagine being shot in the eye, from a distance under six feet, and not get seriously fukkt up.

"it's nothing, just a flesh wound, think nothing of it.
Would you mind just dropping me off at the hospital on your way home?

That was nice of him.

If this was any of the big twelve leftist stronghold states, he'd being facing waaaay more charges than that

Again, he was shot in the freakin' EYE.
I'd like to know the caliber and direction of travel of the bullet.
It was a security guards gun, so they're likely to be 9's or .40's.
I'm sure it's not a Colt 4th model in .22 short.
And I wouldn't want to get shot in the eye with one of those either.

surprised it’s news in Florida

I'd say for practice the purpose of the timer is to give two beeps....a random one to start..and a second one that you set a fraction less time than you can do what ever skill you are working on in....

Back
Top Bottom