N/D Of The Week

Because if you forget to drop the magazine and rack once, a round will come out and you will think the gun is clear. But if you rack it two or three times, you will see multiple rounds come out, and that would be a clue that something is up.

I know, you are thinking this is stupid, but the mind can do funny things when you are tired. You can see what you expect to see. Years back, I was a safety officer at an IDPA match. It was the last stage of the day, on an indoor, low-light stage. When I gave the shooter the command to unload and show clear, he stowed his flashlight in a pocket. He thought he had stowed the magazine, but he never removed it. He cycled the slide, a round came out, he pulled the trigger to drop the hammer on an empty chamber, and BAM — the chamber wasn’t empty. Both of us were tired and saw what we expected to see.

ETA: he had the gun pointed at the backstop, so no harm done to anything but our egos. He earned a match DQ, of course, and took it like a gentleman.

44023873_3267404576610440_4581152202566926336_n.jpg

... if you forget to drop the magazine and rack once, a round will come out and you will think the gun is clear. But if you rack it two or three times, you will see multiple rounds come out, and that would be a clue that something is up.

I know, you are thinking this is stupid, but the mind can do funny things when you are tired. You can see what you expect to see.

End of watch 1911 clearing at as described by a marine
at a small arms display on the hanger deck of carrier JFK during a port visit:
  1. Drop magazine.
  2. Stick finger into mag well to verify absence of magazine.(*)
  3. Lock slide back.
  4. Stick finger through ejection port into chamber to verify absence of round.(*)
  5. Drop slide.
  6. Fire test shot into box of sand bolted to deck.
Seems thorough enough that I bet the pistol almost never fires.

(*) Alleged by someone else to work even at midnight on Guadalcanal. Not that it seems a time and venue placing a premium on unloaded sidearms.

End of watch 1911 clearing at as described by a marine
at a small arms display on the hanger deck of carrier JFK during a port visit:
  1. Drop magazine.
  2. Stick finger into mag well to verify absence of magazine.(*)
  3. Lock slide back.
  4. Stick finger through ejection port into chamber to verify absence of round.(*)
  5. Drop slide.
  6. Fire test shot into box of sand bolted to deck.
Seems thorough enough that I bet the pistol almost never fires.

(*) Alleged by someone else to work even at midnight on Guadalcanal. Not that it seems a time and venue placing a premium on unloaded sidearms.

Most lethal force encounters are in a low-light scenario. Always have tactile confirmation in addition to visual and you're doubleplus safe.

Most lethal force encounters are in a low-light scenario. Always have tactile confirmation in addition to visual and you're doubleplus safe.
Like my JHS metal shop teacher used to say,
"you feel better than you look".
(Eyeballing for rough spots that need to be filed smooth
can't compare to running your finger over the workpiece).
=====
I tried getting a photo of our AR-556's muzzle flash during the last partial solar eclipse
(only time we can shoot that caliber on any range at our club without the sun shining),
but I was soloing with a tripod and shutter self-timer, and the pix never came out.

Because I swear Ruger ought to include a bottle of suntan lotion with that rifle...

Here's why "Mexican" carry is a bad idea:

Man accidentally shoots self in groin inside Buckeye Walmart

The man was in a Walmart store near Watson and Yuma roads around 6:30 p.m., when the semiautomatic handgun began to slip as he carried it unholstered in the waistband of his sweatpants, Buckeye police said.

The man told police that when he tried to reposition his loaded gun and keep it from falling, he shot himself in the groin area.

I was a safety officer at an IDPA match. It was the last stage of the day, on an indoor, low-light stage. When I gave the shooter the command to unload and show clear, he stowed his flashlight in a pocket. He thought he had stowed the magazine, but he never removed it. He cycled the slide, a round came out, he pulled the trigger to drop the hammer on an empty chamber, and BAM — the chamber wasn’t empty. Both of us were tired and saw what we expected to see.
I am not familiar with the IDPA safety officer procedures, however, the USPSA procedure is for the range officer to personally verify the chamber and magazine well is empty before giving the command "gun clear hammer down holster". This means a flashlight for the RO on a low light stage.

This was a fail on the part of the shooter and the safety officer.

Boston, MA *Shooting* 10 Garfield Ave. SVCS O/S With Male Party, Accidental Self Inflicted GSW To Pelvic Area. EMS Packaging For TX. PD Investigating. 1:19pm

Like my JHS metal shop teacher used to say,
"you feel better than you look".
(Eyeballing for rough spots that need to be filed smooth
can't compare to running your finger over the workpiece).
=====
I tried getting a photo of our AR-556's muzzle flash during the last partial solar eclipse
(only time we can shoot that caliber on any range at our club without the sun shining),
but I was soloing with a tripod and shutter self-timer, and the pix never came out.

Because I swear Ruger ought to include a bottle of suntan lotion with that rifle...
It's included with every Mosin Nagant M44 purchase. I thought it was oil for cleaning, but then shot it at night. Friend said thats not oil for the gun. Thats sun tan oil for your face. (not me or my friend in the picture)
M44Fireball_zps0f77aa66.jpg

Back
Top Bottom