N/D Of The Week

He doesn't seem like a nice guy. [hmmm]

DpkBQXUXoAALHtM.jpg

... he hollers like a hopped-up Corporal at an Army range![rofl][rofl][rofl]

The instructor reminds me of Vinz.

I wonder how many of these NDs are just someone trying to lower the hammer, and it gets away from them.

We spent a decent amount of time on that in Home Firearm Safety.
But I decided a while back that the safest technique
for putting an SA handgun into Condition 2 is: don't.
All other methods are riskier than just not playing that stupid game in the first place.

A friend and fellow member here got me into the habit of racking the slide a couple times when I clear it for exactly that reason. Thats always how I teach others.

Mike

I was taught the three rack method. It's hard to miss three rounds flying out if you still have a mag loaded.

I was taught the three rack method. It's hard to miss three rounds flying out if you still have a mag loaded.

This. I rack the slide even after I put the gun down empty and pick it back up again. For the same reason I use a multimeter before I touch a bare wire or stick my hand in an open electrical panel. It only takes one lapse in judgement to make a costly mistake.

Once at my club I saw a guy take rifles out of cases, opening the actions while sweeping the legs of a gal standing next to him as he put them on the bench. I just HAD to turn him in. Another time a guy was sitting on a bench behind the shooting tables loading shells into a pump shotgun as people were walking by in front of him. Someone else took care of that Jack.

Not all N/D's are necessarily a bad thing:

Man accused of robbing McDonald’s accidentally shoots himself

MACON, Ga. – A man accused of robbing a McDonald’s in Georgia at gunpoint accidentally shot himself, according to the Bibb County Sheriff’s Office.
Grayer demanded to speak with the manager and had the manager take him to a safe in a back office, according to the deputies.

The manager opened the safe and the suspect allegedly took the money. But at some point, a gun fired, and employees ran to the front of the store.

Grayer allegedly ran out of the restaurant and was later found lying down screaming for help. He was found wearing only his boxers and was near several articles of clothing, a wig and money, according to authorities.

The suspect had accidentally shot himself in the left thigh during the crime,
according to deputies. He was taken to the hospital and will be jailed upon his release.

A big name shooter I know claims to have convinced his father the extra hole in their house was put there by the cable TV installer.

I knew an guy who worked for Comcast, he told me once he was using a 3' long bit to drill a hole through an interior wall to run a coax. He got way in and could feel the bit was still cutting, thinking to himself "wow, this wall is thick", then he went into the next room and discovered he had drilled through the leg of a piano.

[rofl]

An arriving deputy used a tactical tourniquet on the man.
As opposed to a regular tourniquet, I assume?
No, but close.

bff3dc347e78c287d0c0281ed926b44645aa1b1e3c3ffb0e9ebcc0acf3ad719f.jpg

Tell me, how many times have we read about some dumbass sticking an upholstered Glock in his pocket ?
It can only get worse -
I hear that the padding of the grip material on the new Gen. 5's
are derived from mattress memory foam.

But he had the compassion to feed squirrels. It's like one of those confusing westerns where the guy in the white hat kicks the dog and the guy in the black hat pets the dog.

Last edited:
I knew an guy who worked for Comcast, he told me once he was using a 3' long bit to drill a hole through an interior wall to run a coax. He got way in and could feel the bit was still cutting, thinking to himself "wow, this wall is thick", then he went into the next room and discovered he had drilled through the leg of a piano.

[rofl]

I’m going to switch from Comcast to FIOS and needed to have coax and Ethernet cables pulled from the phone box to my office. I just had an electrician in to do that as I don’t trust Verizon’s contractor to properly pull cables.

[rofl]
A friend and I were roommates in a house his family owned. We had just completely rehabbed the whole apartment. When we ran the wires for the surround sound, we went to the edge behind the tv, pulled the carpet back, and then drilled the holes next to the wall. When the comcast moron came to install the cable, he went right to the middle of the corner behind the tv, cut a big X into the carpet, and drilled a hole right there. Moron.

A friend and fellow member here got me into the habit of racking the slide a couple times when I clear it for exactly that reason. Thats always how I teach others.

Mike

Why? When you rack it once and a round comes out or if it's already clear and nothing happens that's not enough?

Why? When you rack it once and a round comes out or if it's already clear and nothing happens that's not enough?

Because if you forget to drop the magazine and rack once, a round will come out and you will think the gun is clear. But if you rack it two or three times, you will see multiple rounds come out, and that would be a clue that something is up.

I know, you are thinking this is stupid, but the mind can do funny things when you are tired. You can see what you expect to see. Years back, I was a safety officer at an IDPA match. It was the last stage of the day, on an indoor, low-light stage. When I gave the shooter the command to unload and show clear, he stowed his flashlight in a pocket. He thought he had stowed the magazine, but he never removed it. He cycled the slide, a round came out, he pulled the trigger to drop the hammer on an empty chamber, and BAM — the chamber wasn’t empty. Both of us were tired and saw what we expected to see.

ETA: he had the gun pointed at the backstop, so no harm done to anything but our egos. He earned a match DQ, of course, and took it like a gentleman.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom