N/D Of The Week

I am not familiar with the IDPA safety officer procedures, however, the USPSA procedure is for the range officer to personally verify the chamber and magazine well is empty before giving the command "gun clear hammer down holster". This means a flashlight for the RO on a low light stage.

This was a fail on the part of the shooter and the safety officer.

I was that SO. Yes, the IDPA SO procedure is the same as the USPSA procedure. Yes, I had a flashlight. I still failed. I was tired and I saw what I expected to see, not what was there.

I suspect that many SO/RO have done the same thing many times. What has saved them is that they didn't fail at the same time that the shooter failed. But if the holes in the Swiss cheese line up (SO fails at the same time as the shooter fails), then racking the slide multiple times is likely wake them both up -- an extra round or two coming out of the ejection port is pretty hard to ignore.

Have seen that with a snowmobile, very first time rider, hit throttle hard, did not know to let go of throttle, 60 yards and into a tree, not good. She was told to and shown while tandem and got a chance to feel throttle while tandem, to gently apply throttle and just idle around big open field. Funny part was , the very first time she applied the throttle by herself alone on the machine and she hit it "full throttle".
Oh, may I add, she was an educated gal, People will do the stupidest things.

Remember this when training a newbie with guns. It's not wild wild west the first time your back is turned.

Have seen that with a snowmobile, very first time rider, hit throttle hard, did not know to let go of throttle, 60 yards and into a tree, not good. She was told to and shown while tandem and got a chance to feel throttle while tandem, to gently apply throttle and just idle around big open field. Funny part was , the very first time she applied the throttle by herself alone on the machine and she hit it "full throttle".
Oh, may I add, she was an educated gal, People will do the stupidest things.

Remember this when training a newbie with guns. It's not wild wild west the first time your back is turned.

I start newbies dry fire first. Then a .22lr, loaded with a single round only. If they do that OK for a few rounds, then I load 2 rounds. Only after they've done that successfully do I load more. And when we switch to a different gun, it is back to dry fire and then one round only.

I start newbies dry fire first. Then a .22lr, loaded with a single round only. If they do that OK for a few rounds, then I load 2 rounds. Only after they've done that successfully do I load more. And when we switch to a different gun, it is back to dry fire and then one round only.
Did that with family from Canada who never seen a real gun.

Another thing: before they shoot any gun, I shoot it first so that they can see the report and muzzle rise. It's another attempt to reduce the startle factor. The guys who give their girlfriend a .44 Mag so that they can laugh really, really piss me off.

Last edited:
Proof we need education about gun safety in the schools, and not this BS about run and get an adult. That just makes kids curious. Whatever happened to Eddie Eagle?
One brother-in-law has four school-aged kids,
and their abnormally friendly town is too close to Morristown.

The one time I've talked to his kids about guns
(and he was present), I said two things:

1. The reason why guns don't blow up​
is that the ammo is completely hidden inside​
ETA: (except maybe if you look down the barrel with a flashlight, which is peak stupid)​
so a kid can never tell if one is loaded.​
Also that there are so many different gun designs,​
that no average kid finding a gun​
can ever figure out how to unload it by themselves,​
instead of making it shoot by messing with it.​
So that's why you never touch a found gun.​
-and-
2. It is so irresistible to pick up a found gun,​
that you will never be able to convince​
all of your friends there to leave it untouched,​
or to just put it down if they picked it up.​
And if the gun goes off while they're holding it,​
someone may get shot.​
So that's why when you and your friends find a gun,​
you don't stand around and spout gun safety,​
but you leave the area immediately.​
7672409.jpg

Have seen that with a snowmobile, very first time rider, hit throttle hard, did not know to let go of throttle, 60 yards and into a tree, not good.
On our honeymoon in Bermuda,
we drove past a convenience store on our moped,
and The Bride had been pining for potato chips.
So we dismounted and I sent her back.

To walk the moped back along the sidewalk,
I burped the throttle to get it over the curb.

But it got away from me, I fell onto the seat on my stomach,
and I gut-surfed down the sidewalk for 20'-30' before I regained control.
Right past some astonished old-timer parked on his front lawn in his wheelchair.

He probably still tells that story.

Last edited:
One brother-in-law has four school-aged kids,
and their abnormally friendly town is too close to Morristown.

The one time I've talked to his kids about guns
(and he was present), I said two things:

1. The reason why guns don't blow up
is that the ammo is completely hidden inside,
so a kid can never tell if one is loaded.
Also that there are so many different gun designs,
that no average kid finding a gun
can ever figure out how to unload it by themselves,
instead of making it shoot by messing with it.
So that's why you never touch a found gun.​
-and-
2. It is so irresistible to pick up a found gun,
that you will never be able to convince
all of your friends there to leave it untouched,
or to just put it down if they picked it up.
And if the gun goes off while they're holding it,
someone may get shot.
So that's why when you and your friends find a gun,
you don't stand around and spout gun safety,
but you leave the area immediately.​
7672409.jpg

On our honeymoon in Bermuda,
we drove past a convenience store on our moped,
and The Bride had been pining for potato chips.
So we dismounted and I sent her back.

To walk the moped back along the sidewalk,
I burped the throttle to get it over the curb.

But it got away from me, I fell onto the seat on my stomach,
and I gut-surfed down the sidewalk for 20'-30' before I regained control.
Right past some astonished old-timer parked on his front lawn in his wheelchair.

He probably still tells that story.
Neither of us can really list here exactly what should be done, it's so much about context and delivery. If it's "don't ever touch a gun and run away!" you'll instill fear and curiosity, and fear is fleeting and eventually overcome by curiosity. I know I did plenty in my youth that fear should have stopped, but I did them anyway.

But regardless of whether you have guns in your house, by the time they are 15 (as in the article) you should have had at least a discussion about firearm and if they are curious (and what kid isn't) a proper and safe introduction. Take away the "cool" factor and a gun is no different than any other tool. And kids aren't know for showing off their dad's cool wrench....unless it's a snap-on digital torque wrench, then that really is cool.

Not sure if this qualifies as an N/D, but I'll throw it out here:

Auburn, NH *Burn Victim* 55 Eaton Hill Rd. PT Arrived At FD W/Severe Burns On Hands From A Mortar Shell. Trauma Team Activated. 2:09pm

Tiverton, RI *Shooting* 51 Alan St. PD Reports A Male Shot Accidentally While Cleaning A Gun. UNK Condition. 7:44pm

Maybe this should be cross-posted in the 2019 Dumbass, Darwin & PSGWSP thread.

What the hell did they think was going to happen??

More:
St. Louis Police Officer Nathaniel Hendren Charged in Death of Officer Katlyn Alix

The St. Louis Post-Dispatch, citing sources, reported that he was hospitalized after the incident. The daily says he headbutted the back window of a police vehicle parked at the hospital — and notes that he, his partner and Alix were close.

Well, you could have maybe tried, you know... NOT SHOOTING HER!

Edit: I will say that it smells a little funny. Putting my tinfoil hat on, I can't help but wonder if things weren't a bit more complex than a f-ed up version of Russian Roulette

Last edited:
What the heck? Please tell me that alcohol was involved and that they were not stupid enough to play Russian roulette stone cold sober.

What the hell did they think was going to happen??

More:
St. Louis Police Officer Nathaniel Hendren Charged in Death of Officer Katlyn Alix

Well, you could have maybe tried, you know... NOT SHOOTING HER!

Edit: I will say that it smells a little funny. Putting my tinfoil hat on, I can't help but wonder if things weren't a bit more complex than a f-ed up version of Russian Roulette

Glad I caught up with the details of this story as I was quite curious as to the cause of the death. Thanks!

Seriously though, are we regressing to a third world country with this type of numbskullery?

I think there was plenty of numbskullery before. But with the Internet we now hear about things that would have just been local news thirty years ago.

Before a small Metrowest PD rebuilt their police station, their previous station bore the scars of three different NDs, including a 12 gauge blast through the roof of the garage.

I think there was plenty of numbskullery before. But with the Internet we now hear about things that would have just been local news thirty years ago.

Before a small Metrowest PD rebuilt their police station, their previous station bore the scars of three different NDs, including a 12 gauge blast through the roof of the garage.

I remember an incident where a bored PO was working the front desk of the station on an overnight and somehow shot the phone!

And a more recent incident where a PO was putting an AR in the rack inside his cruiser and shot a hole through the side of the car.

[rofl][rofl][rofl]

I remember an incident where a bored PO was working the front desk of the station on an overnight and somehow shot the phone!

If I was a police officer who had to take calls from the general public, I think I would shoot the phone too!

A few years ago:

Quincy Police investigate after shotgun goes off in cruiser
Posted Jun 8, 2012 at 12:01 AM

The Quincy Police Department is investigating how a shotgun was left in a cruiser with its safety lock off and a bullet in its chamber after a sergeant accidentally hit the trigger and shattered the cruiser’s window with a bullet

The police department is investigating how a shotgun got left in a cruiser with its safety lock off and a shell in its chamber, leading to a sergeant blowing out the cruiser’s window when he accidentally hit the trigger.

It happened around 7:20 a.m. Monday in the rear yard portion of police headquarters on Sea Street, Capt. John Dougan said. No was hurt.

Dougan said an administrative investigation determined that Sgt. Brian Flaherty accidentally discharged the shotgun. Flaherty was not disciplined.

You're never going to get rid of stupid people. The idea is to teach people rights can be abused, but that doesn't make them not rights. Punish retards for being retards and move on. People do this literally every day dealing with car wrecks.

You're never going to get rid of stupid people. The idea is to teach people rights can be abused, but that doesn't make them not rights. Punish retards for being retards and move on. People do this literally every day dealing with car wrecks.
Please don't compare a right, gun ownership, with a privilege, driving/owning a car.

Back
Top Bottom