• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

N/D Of The Week

Not sure if this was posted on another thread, just heard about it this morning. This guys lucky a kid didn't get shot, what a f*ckin idiot. Sounds like a pocket or backpack carry fail. If your going to carry a gun, especially someplace your not supposed to why wouldn't you secure it a goddamn holster.

Gastonia is a fun place, apparently

View: https://youtu.be/IoAIJW1TYUQ?si=vGYc9e6aMJUScZ24

Waiting for more info but this story is carried by several news agencies already....

Three Gloucester County sheriff officers were injured at the South Jersey Shooting Club in Winslow Township by possible ricochets

Three people hurt by a riccochet ???
Indoor ranges are designed so no flat solid barriers are square to the shooting positions to prevent bullets from coming straight back to the shooters.
What were they aiming at ???
Were they using Lee Harvey Oswalds "Magic Bullets" ?

Three people hurt by a riccochet ???
Indoor ranges are designed so no flat solid barriers are square to the shooting positions to prevent bullets from coming straight back to the shooters.
What were they aiming at ???
Were they using Lee Harvey Oswalds "Magic Bullets" ?
Scatter gun aimed at the ceiling crossmember maybe?

A man now faces charges after his 3-year-old son grabbed his loaded gun and accidentally shot and killed himself in Allentown, the Lehigh County District Attorney said.On March 28, shortly before noon, a woman called 911 reporting that her 3-year-old son had shot himself in the chest. Police responded to the woman’s home on the 900 block of Hamilton Street where they found the boy – later identified as 3-year-old Elijah Abreu Borgen – suffering from a gunshot wound to the torso.
nvestigators determined the boy’s father, 28-year-old Jose Hilario Abreu, had a loaded Glock 19 semi-automatic handgun inside the home while Elijah and a 2-year-old child were inside. Abreu told investigators he placed the gun under the sofa the two toddlers were sitting on and left the room, according to the criminal complaint. Investigators also said the gun had a live cartridge in the chamber and was on top of a pillow on the couch where the toddlers were sitting.
Abreu said that while he was in another room, he heard a loud bang and then found his son suffering from a gunshot wound to the chest, according to investigators.

A man now faces charges after his 3-year-old son grabbed his loaded gun and accidentally shot and killed himself in Allentown, the Lehigh County District Attorney said.On March 28, shortly before noon, a woman called 911 reporting that her 3-year-old son had shot himself in the chest. Police responded to the woman’s home on the 900 block of Hamilton Street where they found the boy – later identified as 3-year-old Elijah Abreu Borgen – suffering from a gunshot wound to the torso.
nvestigators determined the boy’s father, 28-year-old Jose Hilario Abreu, had a loaded Glock 19 semi-automatic handgun inside the home while Elijah and a 2-year-old child were inside. Abreu told investigators he placed the gun under the sofa the two toddlers were sitting on and left the room, according to the criminal complaint. Investigators also said the gun had a live cartridge in the chamber and was on top of a pillow on the couch where the toddlers were sitting.
Abreu said that while he was in another room, he heard a loud bang and then found his son suffering from a gunshot wound to the chest, according to investigators.
That's just pure negligence, he should be charged and convicted. He's a danger to his own family.
And at 3 a kid sees what you do and is curious. He saw Dad hide something under the sofa and then leave the room, pretty much guarantees the kid goes looking for it. The very idea of leaving an unsecured gun in a room along with young children, I just can't see how anyone would think this is ok. This is one that will stick in my memory, children are the greatest thing we have in this world, they are pure innocents and potential, a gift to the human race, to lose one because of some a**h***'s stupidity is more than tragic.

Our kids learned to shoot at 2. The main problem is hiding things from kids. Nothing stops a 3 year old from stabbing himself with a steak knife, we just teach kids not to touch steak knives.
Frankly, at 3 I'm not leaving knives lying around with the kid unsupervised either., At that age they have more curiosity than they do a clear understanding of cause and affect and what can hurt someone.

I can't wait to see you teaching a 2 year old the four rules.

To no one in particular,

Just because you learned to fire a gun doesn't mean you are a gunsmith. Learning to eat doesn't mean you are a nutritionist or chef. It just means you develop a healthy desire to continue to LEARN.

I haven't taught anyone to shoot at such a young age, but I remember seeing some young NES children at NES-shoots that seemed to understand the safety rules better than adult guests of NES members they were responsible for. I let a few parents use my Ruger Bearcat with their children at a few shoots. Small frame .22 single action revolver. (MRGCI mostly)

I've taught many young adults to drive after their parents 'give up' due to stress between them and their children. I didn't expect them to know ALL the rules of the road to take them to practice parallel parking, starting from a stop up a hill, and three-point turns. They know not to aim my XJ at anything and hit the gas. Start with the basics. Every one of them passed their first test. Some after failing having learned from a nervous parent.

As with all children they are individuals that will learn differently, and from adults that have a different teaching ability regardless of the lesson being taught.

I think it is the instructor in me that likes to think young people can learn more at an early age than the current generations give them credit for. I can teach certain acts to young'uns, but don't think I know what the current generation needs to know about life. I'm clueless.

Matt[kiss]

To no one in particular,

Just because you learned to fire a gun doesn't mean you are a gunsmith. Learning to eat doesn't mean you are a nutritionist or chef. It just means you develop a healthy desire to continue to LEARN.

I haven't taught anyone to shoot at such a young age, but I remember seeing some young NES children at NES-shoots that seemed to understand the safety rules better than adult guests of NES members they were responsible for. I let a few parents use my Ruger Bearcat with their children at a few shoots. Small frame .22 single action revolver. (MRGCI mostly)

I've taught many young adults to drive after their parents 'give up' due to stress between them and their children. I didn't expect them to know ALL the rules of the road to take them to practice parallel parking, starting from a stop up a hill, and three-point turns. They know not to aim my XJ at anything and hit the gas. Start with the basics. Every one of them passed their first test. Some after failing having learned from a nervous parent.

As with all children they are individuals that will learn differently, and from adults that have a different teaching ability regardless of the lesson being taught.

I think it is the instructor in me that likes to think young people can learn more at an early age than the current generations give them credit for. I can teach certain acts to young'uns, but don't think I know what the current generation needs to know about life. I'm clueless.

Matt[kiss]
I really think you need to be a little more specific when you say "young age". To me, teaching kids to shoot, a young age might be around 6. Whereas a not young kid might be 10. Here we are talking about 2 and 3. Those additional few years are huge in a child's development.

At 2 they will take cookies from another kid and not understand why that is wrong, at least not until after getting caught.

My son was at the Porsche shoot at 2 years old shooting a 15-22, which I helped him aim. There are pics of it in the Porsche thread.

Our kids we taught about guns the same time they were taught about knives and not sticking shut into outlets. As soon as they started talking.

Kids are curious, all you have to do it teach them.

Our kids learned to shoot at 2. The main problem is hiding things from kids. Nothing stops a 3 year old from stabbing himself with a steak knife, we just teach kids not to touch steak knives.
Gun-proofing your kids is always more effective than child-proofing your guns.

You can't always control where they might encounter a gun, but you can definitely shape how they'll respond when they do. (Feel free to insert knives, fire, drugs, sex, and whatever age you think is appropriate to handle any of the above.)

Frankly, at 3 I'm not leaving knives lying around with the kid unsupervised either., At that age they have more curiosity than they do a clear understanding of cause and affect and what can hurt someone.

I can't wait to see you teaching a 2 year old the four rules.
At 3 I climbed the kitchen drawers and was on top of the refrigerator and into the cookie jar. At 3, I climbed the TV antenna pole and walked around on top of the house, watching my mother hang clothes on the line (she didn't believe me until I showed her I could). At 3, I could easily access every knife in the kitchen.

Also at 3, I fired my first shots from Dad's Mossberg M42 .22 rifle, under his careful supervision. I still have that rifle, and all my children learned to shoot .22 rifles at an age that would make some members here clutch their pearls.

At 3, my youngest (now 21) could recite the three rules so well that he would tell them to strangers in the store. It was an age appropriate version: "Guns can be very dangerous. Never point them at people or pets. Never put your finger on the trigger unless it's safe to shoot."

He also ran up to me in Walmart (back when legal concealed carry in Texas was still fairly new), hugged my leg, recoiled back, and yelled, "Ow, Daddy! I hit my head on your gumb!" It was loud enough for everyone in the checkout lanes to hear, and most laughed.

The worlds best steak knives don't have pointed ends

View attachment 870127
But all steak knives have serrated edges ideal for sawing flesh, even on a 3 year old.

Gun-proofing your kids is always more effective than child-proofing your guns.

You can't always control where they might encounter a gun, but you can definitely shape how they'll respond when they do. (Feel free to insert knives, fire, drugs, sex, and whatever age you think is appropriate to handle any of the above.)

At 3 I climbed the kitchen drawers and was on top of the refrigerator and into the cookie jar. At 3, I climbed the TV antenna pole and walked around on top of the house, watching my mother hang clothes on the line (she didn't believe me until I showed her I could). At 3, I could easily access every knife in the kitchen.
Perfect example, there this has some risk that a 3 year old just didn't see. It's part of the learning process at that age. It's about the level of risk. An unsupervised, loaded gun, is a BIG risk. You did those things BECAUSE you didn't see them as risky. Now extend theat to a loaded pistol you pulled out from under some furniture. That's too risky to allow.
Also at 3, I fired my first shots from Dad's Mossberg M42 .22 rifle, under his careful supervision. I still have that rifle, and all my children learned to shoot .22 rifles at an age that would make some members here clutch their pearls.
key point
And propping a kid up with a 22 rifle at the range, with dad's hands on help, is not the same as leaving a 3 year old unsupervised with a loaded pistol in the home
At 3, my youngest (now 21) could recite the three rules so well that he would tell them to strangers in the store. It was an age appropriate version: "Guns can be very dangerous. Never point them at people or pets. Never put your finger on the trigger unless it's safe to shoot."
Little kids are good at repeating things, understanding the implications and carrying that concern forward in time to what might happen, takes a bit more.
He also ran up to me in Walmart (back when legal concealed carry in Texas was still fairly new), hugged my leg, recoiled back, and yelled, "Ow, Daddy! I hit my head on your gumb!" It was loud enough for everyone in the checkout lanes to hear, and most laughed.
[laugh][laugh] kids got no filter

Back
Top Bottom