• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mythbusters unrifled pistol...

namedpipes

NES Member
In an episode (S07E10/Bullet Curving) I just caught, Kari the Magnificent removed / bored out the rifling of a pistol as part of the testing.

Wouldn't that be illegal to just "do", effectively making a short barreled shotgun?

Was it perfectly legal?

Did they simply not mention the paperwork / waiver / whatever needed to do it?

Or did they commit and document a crime?

OTOH they used a police shooting range to test, so I would imagine they covered themselves somehow.

I would wager that if Joe Schmo did it, he would be in trouble. Since it's Hollywood and they were firing it under police supervision, my guess is they destroyed it after the tests, they can get away with it. All speculation of course, and I could not quote you any specific laws. I would again suggest emailing them to see if you can get any sort of clarification.

I would imagine their legal team / insurer would have kicked and screamed if they actually had done anything illegal, but they really should have made more mention (or ANY mention for that matter) of the legality and safety. It sort of leaves the viewer with the impression that if you have a gun you can just do this on your own if you really want to...

I sent an email. If they respond I'll let you know.

I would imagine their legal team / insurer would have kicked and screamed if they actually had done anything illegal
You are assuming they knew?

I'd wager that less than 1 person in 10,000 even stops to wonder whether a smooth bore pistol might be a legal problem...

Which of course is the problem with the laws... Common sense and ethics should be all you need to avoid breaking the law...

Wasn't there a post recently about someone discovering an heir-loom smooth-bore pistol designed to shoot .410 shells that the ATF kindly demanded he rifle it or he would have to destroy it?

Does the law say that a handgun has to have a rifled barrel? If not, what would make this an AOW or SBS?

If it's a smoothbore but not in a shotgun caliber, how can it be a shotgun?

Back
Top Bottom