Mystic Valley Gun Club

I live close to this range. The only problem I have is that I don't want to support NRA.

I don't want to turn this into an NRA bashing thread, but if you're serious and have a legitimate reason let's hear it and I'll bring it before the board. ("The NRA sucks" is not a legitimate reason.)

I give my money to Comm2A but not the NRA because Comm2A is actively supporting the Right to Bear Arms in MA while the NRA gave up on MA long ago.
The NRA effectively got the Constitutional Carry bill defeated in NH because they got confused or because it didn't include everything they wanted, depending on who you talk/listen to.
Dont get me wrong, I don't think the NRA sucks, but, with limited resources, I have to put my money where I think it will do the most good.

This requirement is the only reason I have not applied for membership at Mystic Valley.

Last edited:
I give my money to Comm2A but not the NRA because Comm2A is actively supporting the Right to Bear Arms in MA while the NRA gave up on MA long ago.
The NRA effectively got the Constitutional Carry bill defeated in NH because they got confused or because it didn't include everything they wanted, depending on who you talk/listen to.
Dont get me wrong, I don't think the NRA sucks, but, with limited resources, I have to put my money where I think it will do the most good.

This requirement is the only reason I have not applied for membership at Mystic Valley.

Thanks Bill.

I support the NRA for what they do on the national level, GOAL and Comm2A for what they do on the state level. I was a life member of both before I ever even joined MVGC so it was never much of an issue for me.

Despite my personal support for the NRA, I do agree that the forced membership model is not ideal. I'll do some research and think about it. For what it's worth it was the membership that voted it in, so the membership would need to vote it out. (Assuming it ever came to a vote.)

Here are a couple of questions to ponder (these are not proposals, just questions.)
  1. Would people be OK with a dues or initiation increase if the requirement for NRA membership were lifted?
  2. Is the primary reason that people dislike the NRA requirement financial or something else?
  3. Would people consider a compromise involving an expanded list of choices including GOAL and / or other organizations? (Basically you have to join some sort of Pro-2A organization but it's the member's choice?)

(If you choose to reply to this post, it would be helpful to know if you're a current member, prospective member, or a just an interested third-party.)

Okay, I will give it a try. I am a prospective member, I guess. I live in Malden. Here is how I look at it:

Pros:
1. It's ideal location for me
2. From this thread and your website, people seem nice and care about the organization.
3. The facility look nice and clean. Air condition, 24/7

Cons:
1. Force to join NRA (What's your rationale to force people to join any memberships? We are all gun owners. We essentially want the same thing. It's our free will to chose what to trust and what to support. )

2. The cost. ( From MVG website, it calculates $200+ $100+ $35= $335 for the first year.) It's definitely not the cheapest option.
3. Only good for the pistol practice.

Okay, to answer your question:
1. $200 initial fee is not cheap compare to other places around the area. So, I go with "Not okay"
2. Something else. I dislike NRA for a few other reasons, but like you said, let's don't make it a bashing NRA thread. I partially agree with Bill above as well.
3. Should let the applicant choose his own organization to support and whenever he decides to do it. I don't think anyone who decides to pay $200 initial fee can be a cheap bastard. At least, I am not.

As for now, I have a friend was in the same situation like me. He joined another gun club outside of malden a few months ago. I've been tagged along with him since then.

This is just my own opinion, and I hope I did not offend anyone here.

Last edited:
Thanks for the response. I don't know the rationale for the NRA membership. The membership must have voted it in at some point, but it was long before my time. Maybe it's time to revisit. I'll bring it up for discussion at the next board meeting.

Okay, I will give it a try. I am a prospective member, I guess. I live in Malden. Here is how I look at it:

Pros:
1. It's ideal location for me
2. From this thread and your website, people seem nice and care about the organization.
3. The facility look nice and clean. Air condition, 24/7

Cons:
1. Force to join NRA (What's your rationale to force people to join any memberships? We are all gun owners. We essentially want the same thing. It's our free will to chose what to trust and what to support. )

2. The cost. ( From MVG website, it calculates $200+ $100+ $35= $335 for the first year.) It's definitely not the cheapest option.
3. Only good for the pistol practice.

Okay, to answer your question:
1. $200 initial fee is not cheap compare to other places around the area. So, I go with "Not okay"
2. Something else. I dislike NRA for a few other reasons, but like you said, let's don't make it a bashing NRA thread. I partially agree with Bill above as well.
3. Should let the applicant choose his own organization to support and whenever he decides to do it. I don't think anyone who decides to pay $200 initial fee can be a cheap bastard. At least, I am not.

As for now, I have a friend was in the same situation like me. He joined another gun club outside of malden a few months ago. I've been tagged along with him since then.

This is just my own opinion, and I hope I did not offend anyone here.

As another prospective member I completely agree with this. Only difference would be that I live in Boston.

I'm a MVGC member and have no problems with the NRA requirement, as I agree they are very important at the national level, which obviously matters regardless of where you live in the country. Having a stronger NRA impacts what legislation passes/doesn't pass in DC.

Some clubs get insurance through the NRA somehow, and the insurance premiums are priced based on percentage of club members who are also NRA members. No idea if this applies to MVGC.

Some clubs get insurance through the NRA somehow, and the insurance premiums are priced based on percentage of club members who are also NRA members. No idea if this applies to MVGC.

it doesnt.

love them or hate them, the NRA is the elephant in the room in washington. like Jason, I support Comm2A and GOAL for state-level stuff, NRA nationally.

as far as initiation fees go....keep in mind, that's a "buy in" so to speak. the club is 100% member owned. $200 is your partial ownership of the club. the $35 is to join the NRA (waived if you're already a member).

the only time its a bit more expensive is the first 6 months of the year. you essentially "buy" the rest of that year, and the following year (so you're covered on dues for 18months+

I volunteer a LOT of time @ MVGC (I'm the Exec. Officer, among other things), running the Junior Rifle program with Jason, keeping the facilities running (whatever needs to be done, lighting upgrades, HVAC fixes, etc), helping run classes. Unfortunately there's a VERY small percentage of the club membership that devotes ANY sort of time to helping out, so the dues/initiations help us pay for what we can't accomplish ourselves.

I'm also interested in joining the range, but would also prefer not to be forced to join the NRA for various reasons I won't go into.
If the club wants to increase membership slightly to compensate that's fine.

Any update on this?

I'm also interested in joining the range, but would also prefer not to be forced to join the NRA for various reasons I won't go into.
If the club wants to increase membership slightly to compensate that's fine.

Any update on this?

NRA membership is still a requirement. This was voted in by the members many years ago and would need to be voted out by the members for it to change. The club officers / directors are not empowered to change the rules.

I'm a member of 3 different clubs (Mystic is one of them) and all 3 require NRA membership. You're probably going to have a hard time finding a club that doesn't require it.

What's the current status of this club? Are they accepting new members?

I'm a brand new shooter (Ltc issued in dec) and I live right in medford. I'd love to have a place so close by!

The last I checked, NRA libaility insurance (Not the only deal in town, and not always the best deal) required > 50% NRA membership, so clubs that use it tend to keep it simply be requiring NRA membership.

What's the current status of this club? Are they accepting new members? I'm a brand new shooter (Ltc issued in dec) and I live right in medford. I'd love to have a place so close by!

Yes, and as it happens tonight is a new member night. Feel free to swing by.

Yes, and as it happens tonight is a new member night. Feel free to swing by.

Unfortunately I'm tied up at work until late tonight, but after I read your comment I checked the website...every third Thursday? If so I'll see you guys in February!

Also, what is "new member night" exactly? Is it a meet and greet kind of thing or is the range open to prospective members as well?

Like I said I am a new shooter--I've only ever shot at rental ranges like American Firearms School and Manchester Firing Line, but I just bought my first pistol (from the classifieds here, actually!) and I'm immediately realizing that the only ranges I can get to are 45+ minutes away.

Thanks for the response.

Unfortunately I'm tied up at work until late tonight, but after I read your comment I checked the website...every third Thursday? If so I'll see you guys in February!

Also, what is "new member night" exactly? Is it a meet and greet kind of thing or is the range open to prospective members as well?

Like I said I am a new shooter--I've only ever shot at rental ranges like American Firearms School and Manchester Firing Line, but I just bought my first pistol (from the classifieds here, actually!) and I'm immediately realizing that the only ranges I can get to are 45+ minutes away.

Thanks for the response.

Basically you go to orientation which in the past has been taught by an extremely nice/smart/caring guy names Bob. Bob passed away recently and I'm not sure who has taken over but the club is full of awesome people.
During orientation you go over the range rules and from what I remember the 4 basin gun safety rules. Bring your check and proof of NRA membership.
Then you go out to the range and take a "shooting test". They send a silhouette target down to 21 feet and you've gotta hit it and get a certain amount of points to pass. It's really simple. From what I remember there were some SR9's and SR40C's maybe? I also feel like I may shot a revolver but I'm not 100% sure.

JasonS can correct me if any of the above info is wrong/has changed.

JasonS can correct me if any of the above info is wrong/has changed.

You nailed it, want a job? [grin]

We take new members every 3rd Thursday night. The "test" is really just a safety evaluation, we just want to make sure you know which way the bullets come out and which direction to keep that end pointed. The details are on the website, if you have any questions feel free to shoot me a message.

-Jason Sawyer, Director

This might be an odd question, but is there a height requirement for shooting from the line?
I want to bring a young, mature guest, but I'm talking 4 foot tall. Would the bullets be hitting the berm if we shoot at a distance of 21 or 35 feet?

This might be an odd question, but is there a height requirement for shooting from the line? I want to bring a young, mature guest, but I'm talking 4 foot tall. Would the bullets be hitting the berm if we shoot at a distance of 21 or 35 feet?

No height requirement, just be sure to hang your target so that your hitting the berm only.

Also check out out junior rifle program (details on the website or swing by and talk to me or Jeff.) We're always looking for new kids.

Attention MVGC members. [grin]

The 2014 elections for officers and directors are going to be held next month. I am an incumbent director seeking re-election and would greatly appreciate the support of my fellow MVGC members who are also on NES.

I've been pretty busy over my past two years as a director:
  • Updated and completely rebuilt the MVGC website
  • Took over cleaned up a rouge Mystic Valley Gun Club Facebook page that I found (had some pretty nasty stuff on it)
  • Got our old internet domain name back
  • Updated club info on NSSF, Yahoo, Yelp, Google+, FourSquare, etc. Basically any internet listing I could find that still had the old phone number or other incorrect info. (You'd be surprised how many there were.)
  • Implemented some "new media" communication channels that cater to some of our younger members. (Like us on Facebook or follow us on Twitter to get news and club updates as soon as they hit the website.)
  • Led a successful bid to have the club join GOAL as a silver affiliate
  • Participated in the work day to improve the back range
  • Worked with Jeff to replace all of the range lighting in both ranges
  • Spent every Monday night at the club working with the juniors on the junior rifle program (also got the NRA coach's certification on my own dime)
  • Spent every Wednesday night at the club helping members with questions, helping Dave process dues bills, filling in on the pistol school team, etc.
  • Spent every other Friday night at the club helping run our action pistol and static steel matches
  • Helped teach and manage safety for Dave's "Intro to Defensive Pistol" class
  • Helped work the MVGC table at the Shriner's gun show
  • Showed the club to prospective members (many in this thread) and answered questions about the club
  • Actively participated in every membership or director's meeting that has been held during my tenure (I actually show up...)
  • Worked hard to support the interests of club members at all times

I'm sure there's other stuff on there that I'm missing. I'd estimate that I donate around 10 hours (give or take a couple) a week doing stuff to help out the club. I love the club and appreciate the opportunity to help make it even better. The club is moving in a good direction, and with your vote I can help keep the positive momentum going over the next two years.

TL;DR version: I'd really appreciate your vote. If you have any questions about me or what I've done to benefit the members of MVGC over the past two years, please let me know.

On a side note the club bylaws do allow for proxies. If you'd like to participate by voting but don't think you'll be able to make it in person for election night you can fill out a proxy form and still have your voice heard. I'd be happy to meet with you to help you fill out a proxy.

Thanks MVGC members!

absolutely ron!

having guys like Jason around make my job a WHOLE lot easier. its hard to find people willing to volunteer to help keep the club in tip top shape. hopefully you guys are just as happy with my performance as Exec Officer. Ive heard nothing but good things about our new range lights

Back
Top Bottom