Mystic Valley Gun Club

Wow, this is a dead thread huh?
I'll be there this upcoming 3rd Thursday to new member orientation. I've been coming here for years with my Dad though.

I'm curious about the shooting test. Says the guns will be provided, what are they? And 80/120 points How are they scoring this?

I'm a new member at MVGC. The test is at 21' with a revolver. I had almost no experience with a handgun before, and passed easily. The club wants to make sure you practice safe gun handling rules, and never pointing the gun up is an important one.

Good luck.

Wow, this is a dead thread huh?
I'll be there this upcoming 3rd Thursday to new member orientation. I've been coming here for years with my Dad though.

I'm curious about the shooting test. Says the guns will be provided, what are they? And 80/120 points How are they scoring this?

Hopefully, I will be at the new member orientation as well.

Since your dad is a member looks like you have your sponsor? lol

Last edited:
Test is 6 rds revolver, 6 rds semi auto at a small silhouette target at 21 ft. We are looking for safe gun handling and knowledge of the safe operation of the firearm as much as the actual score. We were seeing too many prospective new members that took the "quickie" firearms course and have never actually fired a handgun.

Zordude, a lot of the officers are there each Wed nite, stop by and say hi, will give you the ten cent tour.

As far as a dead thread, since most threads are just complaints about this club or that, I guess a "dead thread" is a good thing in this case! [wink]

Was planning to stop by tonight to check out the club and meet some of the members to hopefully get a sponsor, but my night class got out late.

Passed the test, will be there next Thursday to shoot and get a keycard.

Hello, I was just reading over the website of MVGC and have a question about the rules for "All shooting must be done at approved targets." Can someone please let me know what targets are approved? I am looking to join in the near future and would like to stock up on supplies.

Thanks in advance
Jay

Nothing larger than 30"
I just had new member orientation and he said you can bring in pictures of your ex wife if you wanted to, it doesn't matter as long as they aren't bigger than 30". And I believe that is length and width.

Nothing larger than 30"
I just had new member orientation and he said you can bring in pictures of your ex wife if you wanted to, it doesn't matter as long as they aren't bigger than 30". And I believe that is length and width.

The reason for that rule is because if you hang a larger target up at the minimum allowed distance you could shoot through the target and into the floor, ceiling, wall, carrier, etc. We don't care what's printed on your target as long as the bullets go into the backstop after they pass through it.

Last edited:
The reason for that rule is because if you hang a larger target up at 15 feet you could shoot through the target and into the floor, ceiling, wall, carrier, etc. We don't care what's printed on your target as long as the bullets go into the backstop after they pass through it.

I saw they want targets no closer than 21'. Is that not accurate/enforced? Hope not, that is quite a distance when you consider if you actually defended yourself at 21' you'd probably be arrested!

The main range is 21'. To my knowledge you can't get the targets to stop any closer. You have 3 options 21', 35'?, 50'.

Then there's the auxiliary range which isn't always open, kind of a back up range it used door pistol school. Here you hold a switch down until your target is at your desired range. There are no markings to indicate distance so I'm not sure if 15' is allowed in this one.

I saw they want targets no closer than 21'. Is that not accurate/enforced? Hope not, that is quite a distance when you consider if you actually defended yourself at 21' you'd probably be arrested!

It is 21 feet, sorry about that. That rule applies to both ranges. Same reason - any closer and depending on the size of the target and your angle you could in theory shoot through your target and hit something other than the backstop.

Speaking for myself only, as long as you're safe and not shooting the walls, floor, etc., I'm not going to break out a tape measure.

Last edited:
Yep. Many people shoot at like 15 feet at MRA and even tell me that it's okay. I point them to the rules but no one listens. I can't imagine being on the board and dealing with impossible people all day.

It is 21 feet, sorry about that. That rule applies to both ranges. Same reason - any closer and depending on the size of the target and your angle you could in theory shoot through your target and hit something other than the backstop.

Speaking for myself only, as long as you're safe and not shooting the walls, floor, etc., I'm not going to break out a tape measure.

Is it crowded there on the weekends?

Anyone going to the new member application night this week?

I'm thinking about heading over since it is the closest club to me (live in Malden) I'm just a little concerned about the marksmanship test since I've only had an LTC for 3 weeks.

I'm thinking about heading over since it is the closest club to me (live in Malden) I'm just a little concerned about the marksmanship test since I've only had an LTC for 3 weeks.

It's not a marksmanship test so much as it's an opportunity for some of the club officers to observe your ability to safely handle firearms on the range. If you're safe, you'll pass so don't worry about it. [grin]

I'm going to be there, whether or not I get my card is a different question :)

The biggest thing is : Keep the muzzle downrange. If you're turning, put your pistol hand on the table so you have a tactile feedback if you start to twist your hand.

Yep, heading over this Thursday!

P.S. Congrats on the new LTC.

Great to meet everyone that was there tonight. It was really nice to apply and get the card on the same night too!

What nights are applications accepted? Last I checked I think it was Wed. or Thur. but I can't make it because of work. Are there any other options?

I go with a bunch of cool ass old men. I'm 34 and they are all 60 and older. These guys are awesome to hang with, from a younger perspective .

Back
Top Bottom