• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

Mystic Valley Gun Club

Anyone here a member? I've had difficulty renewing my membership to this club for 2007. I never got a renewal form in the mail, but was told to wait for one after contacting the club's clerk earlier this year. The form never showed and after a few more attempts to reach someone at MVGC via e-mail and phone (including the clerk again), I've received no help in this matter. I understand that the people running the club are probably very busy, but I'd like to get this resolved.

I should've pushed the renewal earlier in the year. But things have been busy as my wife and I have a 13 month old daughter. So the gun club is often the furthest thing from my mind.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul

Anyone here a member? I've had difficulty renewing my membership to this club for 2007. I never got a renewal form in the mail, but was told to wait for one after contacting the club's clerk earlier this year. The form never showed and after a few more attempts to reach someone at MVGC via e-mail and phone (including the clerk again), I've received no help in this matter. I understand that the people running the club are probably very busy, but I'd like to get this resolved.

I should've pushed the renewal earlier in the year. But things have been busy as my wife and I have a 13 month old daughter. So the gun club is often the furthest thing from my mind.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Paul

I had the same problem. I never recieved a renewal notice, but checked the club's web site which listed March as renewall time, so I thought I had plenty of time as this was December. On January 1 my card key stopped working. I called the club and was informed that the renewall date was January 1, despite the fact that the club web site stated that I had until March. The kind folks at Mystic Valley then informed me that I would have to re-join the club and pay an initiation fee. I gave up and joined MRA, I suggest you do the same.

Info below as posted on 061207. I thought I saw a notice on the bulletin board that dues are being increased to $100 in 2008. I sent a check in September, even though I didn't get the renewal notice.
GC

12. Club Membership year is January 1, to December 31.

13. Renewal Dues ($80.00) must be paid before Oct 1. To renew in October add a $15.00 late fee. To renew in November, add a $30.00 late fee. To renew in December add a $45.00 late fee. After Dec 31, membership will be terminated and readmission will only be considered via a new application for membership, including initiation fee. WE DO NOT ACCEPT CASH PAYMENTS.
http://www.mvgunclub.com/membership.htm

Thanks for the replies.

I'll check MRA out. Thanks Gammon.

Regardless of what their bulletin board in the facility says, they're supposed to send renewal forms in the mail. The club clerk knew about my situation and still has not done anything about it. He doesn't even have the decency to reply to my e-mails, let alone answer my voice mail messages left on the club's answering service. I feel as though I've been ripped off. As far as I'm concerned, it's a lousy club for handling business the way they do and I will not endorse them in the future. I should've listened to the few people who told me, prior to joining, to go elsewhere.

I have a friend, who lives several blocks away, looking to get his Handgun Safety Course certificate, I won't be sending him to MVGC.

While I'm on a rant, I'd like to complain about their lack of cleanliness and the fact that the air conditioning never worked when it was stifling hot in the shooting range.

Paul

Thanks for the replies.

I'll check MRA out. Thanks Gammon.

Regardless of what their bulletin board in the facility says, they're supposed to send renewal forms in the mail. The club clerk knew about my situation and still has not done anything about it. He doesn't even have the decency to reply to my e-mails, let alone answer my voice mail messages left on the club's answering service. I feel as though I've been ripped off. As far as I'm concerned, it's a lousy club for handling business the way they do and I will not endorse them in the future. I should've listened to the few people who told me, prior to joining, to go elsewhere.

I have a friend, who lives several blocks away, looking to get his Handgun Safety Course certificate, I won't be sending him to MVGC.

While I'm on a rant, I'd like to complain about their lack of cleanliness and the fact that the air conditioning never worked when it was stifling hot in the shooting range.

Paul

This is sad. At one time Mystic Valley was one of the best run and maintained clubs in the area. I remember one New Year's Day the then club president spent the morning working with an electrician on the roof to get the heating/ventilation system working so that the members could shoot on the holiday. Those were the good old days.

You will like MRA. Great facility well run by an excellent group of people.

This is sad. At one time Mystic Valley was one of the best run and maintained clubs in the area.

A good friend of mine, who no longer is a member, said that it was a good club back in the day.

Do you know if MRA has 24 hour access to the indoor ranges?

Thanks,
Paul

A good friend of mine, who no longer is a member, said that it was a good club back in the day.

Do you know if MRA has 24 hour access to the indoor ranges?

Thanks,
Paul

This is what happens when the members don't pay attention and allow unqualified people to be elected to positions of responsibility. In a democracy the people get the government they deserve.

Yeah, I don't think I deserved the predicament I was in with renewing my membership at MVGC. But oh well...

Sorry, I didn't mean to be sarcastic. I was pretty upset when they refused to accept my late dues and demanded an initiation fee. I let my feet do the talking.

Gammon wrote: "I had the same problem. I never recieved a renewal notice, but checked the club's web site which listed March as renewall time"

March has NEVER been "renewal time" in the 25 plus years I've been a member. Dues bill have been going out on Sept 1st since 2001, due to be paid by the end of Oct with late fees kicking in for payments recieved in Nov and Dec. The dues year runs Jan 1st to Dec 31 each year. Dues are paid early to eliminate my sitting alone in the club NewYears Eve trying to finish 1000 returned dues payments, process them and re-activate 1000 key cards.

When I do the dues bills I make a photocopy of the actual mailing labels. It absolutely amazes me how many members never get their bill. Our postal service must be absoultely abismal because every year at least 50 - 75 of them get "lost" and never make it to the member. Yet, low and behold, there's acopy of the mailing label on my list! Add in 25 to 50 that move and don't bother to tell us.

Danguard ace wrote"While I'm on a rant, I'd like to complain about their lack of cleanliness and the fact that the air conditioning never worked when it was stifling hot in the shooting range"

Lack of cleanliness???? Are you kidding me?? We have cleaners in twice a week, floors stripped and waxed twice a year. I've been in most all the clubs in the area and ours is, by FAR the cleanest. The only time it's a mess is when some "members" leave the place a sh#thole when they're done shooting! Many people that join tell me it's beacuse of the cleanliness of the club and the freindly people they've met!

This is a CLUB, not just a shooting range. There are about 30 - 40 people that run this club. NO ONE is paid for their efforts. I put in several hundred hours of work there each year (YES, several HUNDRED hours) to keep things rolling. When you join a 'Club" it is implicit that you are a member and should be involved in some degree in the club. It amazes me that the people that complain the most are no where to be found when there is something that needs to be done around the club.

Gammon wrote: "This is what happens when the members don't pay attention and allow unqualified people to be elected to positions of responsibility. In a democracy the people get the government they deserve"

Where was your name on the ballot? Any club member can run for office, where were you? Oh, I know, too busy with your life. But not too busy to tear down a bunch of hard working volunteers that take pride in their club.

Gammon, I don't know who you are. Obviously by my nickname, I'm not hiding who i am, but it sounds to me like you messed up and don't like the results. Club office hours are Wed eves, I'm always there. Had you come to see me I'm sure we would have worjked it out, I've waived the late fees for probably 50 or more members that has a good reason this year. But perhaps this worked out the best for you and MVGC.

Gammon wrote: "I had the same problem. I never recieved a renewal notice, but checked the club's web site which listed March as renewall time"

March has NEVER been "renewal time" in the 25 plus years I've been a member. Dues bill have been going out on Sept 1st since 2001, due to be paid by the end of Oct with late fees kicking in for payments recieved in Nov and Dec. The dues year runs Jan 1st to Dec 31 each year. Dues are paid early to eliminate my sitting alone in the club NewYears Eve trying to finish 1000 returned dues payments, process them and re-activate 1000 key cards.

When I do the dues bills I make a photocopy of the actual mailing labels. It absolutely amazes me how many members never get their bill. Our postal service must be absoultely abismal because every year at least 50 - 75 of them get "lost" and never make it to the member. Yet, low and behold, there's acopy of the mailing label on my list! Add in 25 to 50 that move and don't bother to tell us.

Danguard ace wrote"While I'm on a rant, I'd like to complain about their lack of cleanliness and the fact that the air conditioning never worked when it was stifling hot in the shooting range"

Lack of cleanliness???? Are you kidding me?? We have cleaners in twice a week, floors stripped and waxed twice a year. I've been in most all the clubs in the area and ours is, by FAR the cleanest. The only time it's a mess is when some "members" leave the place a sh#thole when they're done shooting! Many people that join tell me it's beacuse of the cleanliness of the club and the freindly people they've met!

This is a CLUB, not just a shooting range. There are about 30 - 40 people that run this club. NO ONE is paid for their efforts. I put in several hundred hours of work there each year (YES, several HUNDRED hours) to keep things rolling. When you join a 'Club" it is implicit that you are a member and should be involved in some degree in the club. It amazes me that the people that complain the most are no where to be found when there is something that needs to be done around the club.

Gammon wrote: "This is what happens when the members don't pay attention and allow unqualified people to be elected to positions of responsibility. In a democracy the people get the government they deserve"

Where was your name on the ballot? Any club member can run for office, where were you? Oh, I know, too busy with your life. But not too busy to tear down a bunch of hard working volunteers that take pride in their club.

Gammon, I don't know who you are. Obviously by my nickname, I'm not hiding who i am, but it sounds to me like you messed up and don't like the results. Club office hours are Wed eves, I'm always there. Had you come to see me I'm sure we would have worjked it out, I've waived the late fees for probably 50 or more members that has a good reason this year. But perhaps this worked out the best for you and MVGC.

The information on the payment date for the dues is simply not true. At one time, several years ago, the final payment date was March for that year. After I failed to gain entry to the club I checked the web site which listed March 1 as the final date for dues payment. I didn't "mess up". I never recieved a bill for my dues that year.

Sorry Guys, I've been a member of MVGC for something like 20 yrs., and I have always been able to resolve problems, for myself and other members. "CLERK.MVGC" has always been prompt, orderly and receptive to my requests and suggestions. You guys should have seen the Club Officials from long-gone administrations, and then you'd realize how good MVGC is now. I can comment because, I've been a member of 4 clubs, and have served as a club official in several job categories.

Repeat: CLERK.MVGC has in my experience always been a hard-working and stand-up guy. He takes his voluntary/unpaid job seriously....and I thank him for his past and continued service.

Clubs do have rules, and often I hate them myself, but with some patience, a little foot work and a smile, often simple membership/renewal issues can be fixed.

DPS out

Repeat: CLERK.MVGC has in my experience always been a hard-working and stand-up guy. He takes his voluntary/unpaid job seriously....and I thank him for his past and continued service.

Clubs do have rules, and often I hate them myself, but with some patience, a little foot work and a smile, often simple membership/renewal issues can be fixed.

DPS out[/QUOTE]

Well said.

Fred

I recently joined and am very happy with the club. The whole club is very clean. I don't know what will happen come time to pay dues (whether or not I'll get my bill) but IMO if I join something for a year I would expect to pay again in a year. If I don't have a bill in hand by October of 08 I'll at least have the common sense to call and ask.

MVGC is a good clean club with great ventilation, well lit ranges and nice people to shoot with.

Last edited:
I recently joined and am very happy with the club. The whole club is very clean. I don't know what will happen come time to pay dues (whether or not I'll get my bill) but IMO if I join something for a year I would expect to pay again in a year. If I don't have a bill in hand by October of 08 I'll at least have the common sense to call and ask.

MVGC is a good clean club with great ventilation, well lit ranges and nice people to shoot with.

+1

Same here.

Fred

Finally a response. Is assume this is Dave J.?

As far as cleanliness goes, I felt it was not clean. It seemed that everytime I went to club, there was a mess left before me. So, being the neat freak that I am, I cleaned up my mess as well as the schmuck's who failed to clean up after themselves.

Regarding air conditioning, is there a control in the back office or somewhere else that overrides the control in the range area? Because the air conditioning NEVER WORKED when I turned it on. It always blew warm to hot air.

With two children under the age of two, family life, a job, etc. I don't have time to participate in club activities. I joined MVGC to shoot at my convenience, which was not very often. I was not told that my membership, which was $200 for the initiation fee plus $80 for the yearly membership, required that I participate in club activities.

At the time, I worked nights. I still work several nights a week, so getting to the club when activities are taking place to clear up my membership dues was not possible. That's why I spoke to you Dave. I told you that I received a Turkey Shoot notice in the mail, but did not receive anything from the club thereafter. I also told you that I had moved, but the club knew that already. So when you told me that I'd be receiving the renewal notice, I waited. Do you honestly think I was trying to duck an $80 membership fee? I wanted my memberhip to be in good standing. You said you'd take care of it, but then failed to return my numerous calls and e-mails after I again, told you that I had still not received my renewal. Who's fault is that? I am one member who left you plenty of info for you to contact me at your convenience. You did not do so and in the end, I lost my membership and feel ripped off.

I deal with customer service everyday. I do my best to resolve issues so that our customer is happy. If our roles had been reversed, I'd have made sure that your membership situation was taken care of. I feel that you have not attempted to do that for me.

If I don't have a bill in hand by October of 08 I'll at least have the common sense to call and ask.

I did do that, several times. I sent e-mails to the Club Clerk and left several messages on the club's answering machine for the clerk. I also left two messages with the gentleman who gave me a tour before joining the club. I won't name him though as it is not his job to handle membership issues. For my efforts, I got one response and then was blown off for the remainder of the time.

Paul

Last edited:
Paul?? Double checked all my emails, not sure who you are. I honestly don't know why you are having issues. I always give the member the benefit of the doubt and have accepted many late payment, waiving late fees for good excuses. If you have the desire pm and we can see what happened.

Currently a member of BGRA in Dorchester but I'm looking to join MVGC. Do I absolutely need a current member to sponsor me? I don't know I single person who is part of the club. Looking to join because it's very convenient for me since I work in Chelsea and go to a gym in Medford. BGRA is out of the way for me, doesn't allow me to bring a guest unless he/she has a LTC, and isn't a 24-hour club.

No Problems with the MVGC

I have been a member of the Mystic Valley Gun Club since 1990, in all those years I have never not received my membership notice for renewal, not once. Mostly go to the range during the week in the AM, many times if I am alone and someone was shooting before I arrived and didn't clean up, example brass laying on the floor, coffee cups in the non firing area, I clean it up myself. The club officials are all volunteers and I think they do a terrific job running the place. So let's not blame the club officials for something they are unable to control, let's blame those who are making the mess and leaving. Believe this or not, sometimes at home my air conditioner will act up and eventually I will be able to get a serviceman to correct the problem. Those interested in joining, check out the site, come on down in the PM on Wednesdays. Just talking to the members I am sure one of them will gladly sponsor you. Believe me it is a very fine club to have membership in and very convenient for anyone living in or near the Malden area.

I just got my LTC and I'm looking to possibly join this club. I have the membership form and it looks like I need a sponsor. How does one get a sponsor? I am new and don't know a soul.

I have been a member of the Mystic Valley Gun Club since 1990, in all those years I have never not received my membership notice for renewal, not once. Mostly go to the range during the week in the AM, many times if I am alone and someone was shooting before I arrived and didn't clean up, example brass laying on the floor, coffee cups in the non firing area, I clean it up myself. The club officials are all volunteers and I think they do a terrific job running the place. So let's not blame the club officials for something they are unable to control, let's blame those who are making the mess and leaving. Believe this or not, sometimes at home my air conditioner will act up and eventually I will be able to get a serviceman to correct the problem. Those interested in joining, check out the site, come on down in the PM on Wednesdays. Just talking to the members I am sure one of them will gladly sponsor you. Believe me it is a very fine club to have membership in and very convenient for anyone living in or near the Malden area.

There is your answerer

I just got my LTC and I'm looking to possibly join this club. I have the membership form and it looks like I need a sponsor. How does one get a sponsor? I am new and don't know a soul

Fred

Hi William

Next Wed (actually every 3rd and 4th Wed evenings at 7pm) is a new member night. Come down, I'm sure we'll be able to help you.

I'm a member at Mystic Valley, I have only had the chance to shoot a few times. This club is so clean I refer to it as sterile! IMHO they have the best indoor range I have come across, I belong to 2 other clubs closer to my house. I'm sure when it gets colder I will be there more often. The members were all great to me, I would recomend this club to anyone with out hesitation.

Back
Top Bottom