Mystery Solved: Why the NRA Disinvited the USCCA

There is already a thread discussing the new NRA Carry Guard service, but for those who don't get Rifleman or other NRA publications, this is the ad which debuted this month.

The USCCA is a direct competitor to the service Carry Guard provides. Let's see if the NRA can partner with the USCCA for political purposes.

Even the premiums and coverage are the same. Direct ripoff of USCCA.

Does USCCA have the same coverage conditions? (i.e., you only get "reimbursed" after you have funded a legal defense,been acquitted, not take a plea bargain, and not been convicted of so much as double parking while the shooting was going down?)

I don't think Second Call Defense has those "make you whole after the fact, no funding of a defense or legal coverage to manage the non-prosecutorial phase" that the NRA has. In fact I noticed "Funds are paid upfront directly to your attorney when needed. There is NO reimbursement and NOTHING to repay regardless of the outcome of your case" on the Second Call site.

The NRA is doing its members a dis-service with advertising that deceives by omission of this little detail.

Second Call (and USCCA if they also omit this loophole) should feature this difference in their advertising.

Last edited:
Just got the NRA Instructors email. I understand the need for our main 2A lobbying organization to have sufficient funding but the NRA is beginning to feel a lot like Walmart. Organizations like the USCCA need to be supported.

Dear NRA Instructors:

I wanted you to be among the first to know about NRA's critical new initiative to serve the growing concealed carry movement. NRA Carry Guard is a full-service program intended for responsibly armed Americans.

This new program will offer the most comprehensive coverage and extensive training for those who carry a gun. While the membership is now available, the training component will launch this summer.

As an NRA instructor, you represent the most committed, most loyal ranks of our grassroots army. Thanks to you, millions of Americans are prepared to responsibly own and use firearms.

For this reason, NRA-certified instructors are encouraged to apply to become NRA Carry Guard instructors. To receive information about the application and qualification process as soon as it becomes available, please click here.

Please note that NRA Carry Guard is not a replacement for any existing NRA training or education initiative. We remain committed to offering high-quality, relevant firearms training such as Basics of Pistol Shooting.

NRA Carry Guard represents an expanded level of training, built exclusively for the needs of those who carry. I am confident it will solidify NRA's position as the preeminent provider of firearms training services.

Additionally, NRA instructors will also be offered NRA Carry Guard memberships at discounted pricing. Look for more information next month regarding your special discount.

To learn more, please visit www.NRACarryGuard.com.

Thank you again for the critical work you do on behalf of the NRA.

Sincerely,

Josh Powell
Executive Director,
NRA General Operations

Reading more on the Second Call web site -

It appears they cover a legal defense a-priori with no payment conditional on outcome, but their insurer reimburses Second Call only if there is an acquittal. This would suggest that the insurance companies will only write this kind of limited coverage, and second call is picking up the gap. It also means that the full scope of benefits is not guaranteed by an AM Best rated insurer, but by Second Call. Hopefully, word of any inability/refusal to pay would spread quickly.

USCCA vs Second Call comparison: https://www.concealedcarry.com/law/shield-carry-guard-two-different-programs-compared/

It appears they cover a legal defense a-priori with no payment conditional on outcome, but their insurer reimburses Second Call only if there is an acquittal. This would suggest that the insurance companies will only write this kind of limited coverage, and second call is picking up the gap. It also means that the full scope of benefits is not guaranteed by an AM Best rated insurer, but by Second Call. Hopefully, word of any inability/refusal to pay would spread quickly.
Correct. I think a lot of people (including myself) though that the coverage comes directly from these organizations, when in fact, they're just the retailers/distributors of an insurance company. Given that these organizations claim no out-of-pocket costs for legal fees, that would mean they must risk digging into their own funds to cover the costs until acquittal. I want 100% clarification that this is the case before I sign up for any of these memberships.

IMHO most of those things are just designed to make fools part with their money. It's not like you call the number, talk to an operator, and 5 minutes later Kevin Reddington is talking to you on the jailhouse payphone... and then when you get acquitted you pay a deductible or something. [rofl]

Another fun thing- in using one of these services, does the insurer retain control of counsel somehow? (not sure if thats legally possible). .

It would be really fun if you have a case that's winnable, but the insurer makes you do something like, suck for a CWOF on something you didn't do, because it's "less expensive".

-Mike

Last edited:
The NRA insurance is not valid in "gun free zones".

I am not sure if this is only zones that refers only gun free zones by statute, or places where it is legal to carry even though there is a small no guns sign by the entrance in a state without binding signage.

IMHO most of those things are just designed to make fools part with their money. It's not like you call the number, talk to an operator, and 5 minutes later Kevin Reddington is talking to you on the jailhouse payphone... and then when you get acquitted you pay a deductible or something. [rofl]

Another fun thing- in using one of these services, does the insurer retain control of counsel somehow? (not sure if thats legally possible). .

It would be really fun if you have a case that's winnable, but the insurer makes you do something like, suck for a CWOF on something you didn't do, because it's "less expensive".

-Mike

Also do they control which lawyer you get, or is it a matter of you picking a lawyer and they pay the bills? I would be pretty upset to go to them needing payment for a defense and find out I get a small list of cheap, newly minted lawyers to pick from.

Back
Top Bottom