Myles Garrett attacks Mason Rudolph

TLB

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
In addition to a season suspension, that clown should be charged with assault.
I disagree. We don't need cops and the law involved in sports. Plenty happens on the field, pitch and ice that is illegal on the street. Not too mention in the ring or octagon. He is a professional. Suspend his ass for a long time.

greencobra

NES Member
Rating - 100%
24   0   0
I disagree. We don't need cops and the law involved in sports. Plenty happens on the field, pitch and ice that is illegal on the street. Not too mention in the ring or octagon. He is a professional. Suspend his ass for a long time.
it's why we have contact sports, the masses can live out their violent fantasies thru their sports heroes. I'm wondering what the difference is between this and video games a lot of people are screaming about. watch football junior, give the violent games a break.

Stryker

NES Member
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I agree.

I remember Chara being threatened with arrest on a hit he made during a game with the Habs 8-ish years ago

Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Bad or dangerous hits during a game or throwing punches are one thing. Swinging a helmet as a weapon at someone’s head is another. He could have legitimately killed him. There are lines.

Marty McSorley was criminally charged when he clubbed Donald Brashear across the head with his stick.

Todd Bertuzzi was criminally charged after he suckerd Steve Moore causing serious injury and ending his career.

Both were convicted.

So professional athletes have been charged for conduct during games.

Woodstock

NES Member
Rating - 100%
36   0   0
Absolutely no excuse for whacking him with the helmet, and suspension for the season is justified. They also need to take a look at what Mason Rudolph did after being sacked for the umpteenth time. Plenty of NFL players are pointing out that he was yanking on Jarrett's helmet when it all started. Pouncey kicking Jarrett in the head would also be Assault with a Deadly Weapon here in MA if criminal charges were being considered.

Reactions: KVX
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rudolph also is getting fined but they haven't released how much.

I get the whole mindset of you've got to let them play and that a lot of the things they're doing, if done outside the game, would be assault. On the other hand though, during the game, how far removed from the game do a player's actions need to be before they become criminal. Punching, kicking, slapping or some other form of empty hand strike...definitely not. If a player brings a knife and stabs an opponent, that probably should be a criminal offense. Now you may argue that a knife isn't something that's used in the sport...ok, let's change sports to baseball. If a player takes a bat and unloads on another player, should that be a crime? Where does it stop being a part of the game and become a crime?

Last edited:
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Exactly. Ripping a guy’s helmet off and then clubbing him in the head with it is so far removed from anything football related, i don’t really see it as something that could or should not be at least looked into by entities beyond the NFL.

As I already pointed out, Marty McSorly used his hockey stick to club a guy in the head. He was criminally charged. I’m not saying Garrett should be too, but I wouldn’t see that as being beyond the pale.

Rudolph is getting fined and probably should get a one game suspension. I think three for Pouncey ordinarily would be too little but considering why he did it, is too much. One, maybe, maybe two games.

Reactions: TLB

slap shot

NES Member
Rating - 100%
16   0   0
Fun fact. Not paying attention to NFL too closely these days but I was watching that game last night

1. going in, I’d never heard of Myles Garrett
2. Quickly realized he was a great player, complete standout on defense
3. He gone lol

Picton

NES Member
Rating - 100%
21   0   0
Huh.

I heard and read about this all day before I finally saw the video just a few minutes ago.

I think the NFL handled it well, both in the amount of punishment and the speed with which they implemented it. Next stop: look into the coaching culture of the Browns, which seems... I’ll be nice and call it “undisciplined.”

TLB

Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bad or dangerous hits during a game or throwing punches are one thing. Swinging a helmet as a weapon at someone’s head is another. He could have legitimately killed him. There are lines.

Marty McSorley was criminally charged when he clubbed Donald Brashear across the head with his stick.

Todd Bertuzzi was criminally charged after he suckerd Steve Moore causing serious injury and ending his career.

Both were convicted.

So? And those happened in Canada to my best recollection. Sorry, I like to visit Canada on occasion, but I'm not beholden to their legal way of doing things. I like the RKBA and free speech, which are limited there as well.

headednorth

NES Member
Rating - 100%
17   0   0
The McSorley thing was overblown imo. It was more of a slap with the stick than a legit two hander to the head. Branshear took a dive and cracked his head off the ice.

tuna

NES Member
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Looks to me like the NFL is getting closer to soccer.
Glad I stopped watching it, but I will watch highlights of good hits or injuries, and I didn’t see either here. I saw a shoving match and a pansy swing with a helmet for the size of the guy swinging it. If you’re gonna swing, SWING for crying out loud.
These players make millions playing a game that 9 year olds play. If they die, they die - just make he game entertaining

Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Both were convicted.

Both these incidents were in Canada.

MAGG

NES Member
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Absolutely no excuse for whacking him with the helmet, and suspension for the season is justified. They also need to take a look at what Mason Rudolph did after being sacked for the umpteenth time. Plenty of NFL players are pointing out that he was yanking on Jarrett's helmet when it all started. Pouncey kicking Jarrett in the head would also be Assault with a Deadly Weapon here in MA if criminal charges were being considered.
Being the only Steelers fan on this board here is my take....4 sacks during the game....not sure how that justifies to "umpteenth" time. that was an unnecessary hit and late take down on Rudolph by Garrett. If that happened to the precious Brady you would all be screaming and wanting his head. Rudolph was pissed at being driven into ground and got chippy with the head grabbing....Not gonna defend that and say it was right. But it definitely is not suspension worthy. Fine him... Im fine with that. Garret should be out a full year for his actions.....Pouncey snapped and defended his Qb....I figured he would get 2-4 games deservedly so....3 was right in the middle. trying to kick a guy was dumb...he mostly connected with a players leg...I don't condone that either...maybe he will get it down to 2 games. Who knows. But Garrett is a "goon" and I am interested to see how long he is out for

Roland Deschain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
I think the NFL moved fast on this. I would have no issue if he was criminally charged though. Using a weapon to crush someone's head outside of the play is over line.

Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I'm surprised (and saddened) how many people seem to want to invite The Man into different aspect of their, and others, lives. NES opinion is almost universal about keeping Johnny Law's hands off of our guns, but I guess it's open season on most everything else. [rolleyes]
It's a game, that they all signed up for. Let the league handle it, which they are. I suppose if Mason wants to sue Miles in civil court, let 'em go at it, but even there I would expect such a case to receive the gravitas appropriate to grown men whining about something dangerous that happened in a violent, dangerous sport they willingly participate in.

Roland Deschain

NES Member
Rating - 100%
50   0   0
Funny... I don't hear people bitching about gun rights when someone USES a gun to assault someone (absent self defense) Seems like a shitty analogy you're trying to paint.

KVX

Rating - 0%
0   0   0
++Rudolph PSG,WSP

I don't watch sport, but I saw the news/clip
Rudolph was tugging at Garretts helmet, but failed
Garrett was successful in his tugging at Rudolphs helmet, and delivered what he felt Rudolph would've done had he been successful.

Setup:
Rudolph = cop
Garrett = bad guy

Action:
Bad guy tries to take cops gun and failed
Cop takes bad guys gun and ventilated him, even the people here that don't support cops would be praising the cop and saying that BG PSGWSP.

Top Bottom