My Wife...

After 13 years of marital bliss my wife finally wants to go to the range. I bought her a Titan .38sp Detectives special 12 years ago. It cost me $60.00 used at the time, and is a 1972 snubby. It does index, but I am thinking of a S&W as a better gun. I think my Sister in law will sell me her Dads old Colt NYPD issue .38 special. DA trigger on the Titan sucks. Thoughts?

Has she held the one you gave her before? If she appears comfortable holding it, give it a try. If she continues to be interested, take her shopping....[smile]

Has she held the one you gave her before? If she appears comfortable holding it, give it a try. If she continues to be interested, take her shopping....[smile]
Yes she has. But with all the news and it backing up what I've been telling her it seems like a bad thing for me. She's gonna want more than one. I PM'ed a user about a Taurus NIB he is selling. She is not getting my Sigs. I guess teaching her knife fighting is next. [rofl] Maybe my 500 would be a good back-up for her. All 130lb.s. The 500 is a Mossberg 12 gauge!

Well, I don't have much experience with S&W....yet [grin] - however, the M&P is a very comfortable fit for me (smaller hands), I love the SP101 as it fits like a dream and still has a kick and quite accurate to boot.

I never really thought I would "cotton to" 1911's - but there is cotton everywhere now....[smile] - so you might not want to expose her to them....yet [laugh]

When you say she finally wants to go to the range... do you mean she's never shot a gun before? Or just not in 13 years?

My only thought is... if she's a newbie... then starting her off with a snubbie probably is a bad idea. They KICK... and she will probably be scared off after that.

But... if shooting is old hat to her... then by all means [grin]

Your best bet is to get a bunch of different guns together, even stuff you don't think she'll like (call a couple buddies if your collection isn't extensive enough) and let her play. You'll never know what she'll end up liking.

My ex was a Japanese girl with tiny little hands - everyone thought she'd do best with a compact or subcompact poly frame gun (GLOCK, M&P, etc). But she ended up falling in love with a 92FS. Who knew???

In my experience, women make no sense when it comes to choosing guns (along withe everything else in life). But hey, so long as they're shooting , I'm not complaining.

The more and varied firearms you can expose her to the better. She can decide for herself what she's comfortable with. If she hasn't shot before, have try a .22 pistol first just to get used to the mechanics of shooting (safely). After that, she can ramp up the caliber to something in a defensive sidearm.

start her off with a Ruger MK series 22 and hone her safety and shooting skills with that.

If you are serious on a snubby revolver, you know where I stand on that subject and that is a good old fashioned J frame S&W with a good set of rubber grips. Airweight and hammerless works good in a purse.

my wife wanted to try my SW642 DAO snubby, she didn't hate it is the best I can say. I ended up putting .38's in the much heavier. larger 5 inch 686 and letting her shoot that, which she loved. Even shooting DO was OK for her with that combo. The V notch and fiber sight helped.

... anyway, I think the others have a good point in that the snubby might not be the best introduction or re-introduction as the case may be.

I had my gf try my S&W 5946, and even though the gun is hefty and absorbs a lot of recoil, she didn't like the recoil. I wouldn't even think of letting her try my Chief's Special .38...

I had her shooting my High Standard Model B .22LR, and she liked the lack of recoil. Once she gets more experience, I'll have her try the 9mm again and maybe some .38's out of a large frame Dan Wesson.

So to sum up my rambling, don't have her try the snubbie just yet. You're best to start off with something in .22LR then work up from there.

I picked up a S&W 432 in 32 H&R Magnum. I absolutely love this gun. DAO revolver, 6 shot, airweight and a caliber that beats the ballistics of most 38 specials even +P with much more managable recoil. I think she'll love it. Shop around. Not cheap to shoot ($10 for 20 lead SWC and $17 for 20 JHP) but I think worth it for an all around ccw revolver unless she wants to carry your S&W 500 and have that one sided lean of Igor in Young Frankenstein (I know he had a hump and maybe she'd develop one dragging a 500 around long enough [rofl]).

Just my 2 cents...take her shopping and let her handle everything just nothing you already own so she doesn't decide to confiscate yours. [wink]

I picked up a S&W 432 in 32 H&R Magnum. I absolutely love this gun. DAO revolver, 6 shot, airweight and a caliber that beats the ballistics of most 38 specials even +P with much more managable recoil. I think she'll love it. Shop around. Not cheap to shoot ($10 for 20 lead SWC and $17 for 20 JHP) but I think worth it for an all around ccw revolver unless she wants to carry your S&W 500 and have that one sided lean of Igor in Young Frankenstein (I know he had a hump and maybe she'd develop one dragging a 500 around long enough [rofl]).

Just my 2 cents...take her shopping and let her handle everything just nothing you already own so she doesn't decide to confiscate yours. [wink]

Never thought about that, I sort of dismissed it without cause as a caliber. 'll have to revisit it and get my wife to try one.

I wanted to keep it simple for her. A .22 revolver may be a good starting point and I happen to have one. I want to keep her w/ a revolver. Less to think about when you need it most. I have a buddy selling a .32mag NIB. That is a thought! The problem w/ semi's in my house is I have so many I am concerned that she would mix up calibers or mags. W/ a revolver I can load a couple of Speed loaders and put them in her case w/ the handgun and she is all set.

Back
Top Bottom