My wife has a friend

kurtb

NES Member
..who just got her LTC. She is very petite ... slim.. She went today to look for a gun that she could carry. She settled on a Ruger GP100 357 Magnum without ever firing one.

Again - she wants a carry gun and specifically a wheel gun. Thank god they didn't have any in stock. LOL!

This is why people need a bit of training before they buy a gun they think they will carry every day.

Kurtb, how dare you sir post a question like that without supplying adequate information about your wife's petite friend! Its refreshing to see we have brothers among us like "Feral" and "Come and Take" that take personal defense serious enough to ask the pertinent questions before spewing misinformed advice. The least you could do is provide these concerned gentleman with the information they request….and perhaps a phone number

The smallest woman I know is 5'4" 140ish lbs. She has a snub nose hammerless 357. Only gun she has ever owned or fired. She does very well with it. Hides it well also.
It's the 640....I think.
Your wife's friend might not be letting you in on what she really knows....a wheelgun is not generally the wants of newer shooters with all the compact semi out there.

Last edited:
Yup. Need pic to properly evaluate the situation.
And hopefully she doesn't have a snub nose.

If youre anywhere in central MA I have a few compacts she can try in different calibers to really get a feel for what she wants.

S&W 640 (no-lock) is the most comfortable EDC I know of. I recommend it for new shooters, until I'm sure they'll practice enough to master and maintain skills with a semi-auto.

A cop told me of one problem with the airweights. Unless you always carry it in the same place, you can forget where it is. It's comical to watch someone patting different spots on their body trying to remember where they put the gun. The guys in our local pizza place call it "the wallet dance", when a customer is patting pockets trying to find their wallet. The airweights are so light and comfortable, you forget it's there.

That never happens to me with a 1911...

You are a bunch of dirty bastards! LOL I forgot to mention that her husband is a lawyer (Harvard at that) - so watch out.. :)

Dare I ask for pic of petite...

finger_zps1iliblnq-1.gif

if she just got her LTC i would say a GP100 is an awesome first gun. not so sure about carrying it but whatever it's a perfect starter gun.

much better than all the dipshits who buy their wife a snubbie or tiny pink .380 for their first gun.

..who just got her LTC. She is very petite ... slim.. She went today to look for a gun that she could carry. She settled on a Ruger GP100 357 Magnum without ever firing one.

Again - she wants a carry gun and specifically a wheel gun. Thank god they didn't have any in stock. LOL!

This is why people need a bit of training before they buy a gun they think they will carry every day.

Hopefully it came packaged with a forklift and an orthopedic surgeon.

Last edited:
if she just got her LTC i would say a GP100 is an awesome first gun. not so sure about carrying it but whatever it's a perfect starter gun.

much better than all the dipshits who buy their wife a snubbie or tiny pink .380 for their first gun.

I bought my wife a S&W airweight for her first gun, and the Lasergrips I added to it were pink. She wasn't happy about the pink grips, but loves the laser. The second gun was a Sig P238 - that'd be a tiny .380. A .22 revolver, a .22 semi-auto rifle, and then a Sig P232 - that'd be another tiny .380.

The P232 is her preferred carry gun, the pink-gripped S&W is her house gun.

Different strokes for different folks.

I think an all steel medium frame revolver in .38/.357 is a great choice for several reasons but I'm not a fan of off body carry.

Back
Top Bottom