My wife finally pulls the trigger!

CatSnoutSoup

NES Member
Today was her first time ever live firing.

She had been a very strong 2A proponent in principle, but had been reticent to handle firearms herself. She feared she was not mechanically adept enough and would make a procedural mistake that might injure someone.

I told her she was a smart and capable woman that should have no problem mastering safe procedure with thorough practice. With that in mind we had numerous living room training sessions. However, she still pulled up short of actually going to the range to shoot -- until today!

I asked her early this morning did she want to go to the range with me mid afternoon when it is not crowded. She said yes, and even though it was unspoken by either of us, I sensed that today would be the day she would try her hand at live fire.

I packed just the guns that she had been familiarized with, a Ruger SR-22 and Sig P238. Fortunately we had the upper range at LSA all to ourselves which allowed her to considerate and hear my instruction. After her initial nervousness she really took to it and ended up shooting over a 100 rounds between the two guns.

For the first time ever shooting she did really well, consistently getting on a 6 inch target at 5 yards, and just as importantly safely clearing two failures on the Ruger.

You could not wipe the grin off my face while we were driving home. [smile]

My wife was nervous and I basically said....you can drive a car right. Same thing pay attention to what your doing and you will be fine.
Nice your wife is pro 2a and willing to at least try and shoot. My wife did it enough to shut me up. She's got a different thinking now that we have kids and MIL feeds my wife with her disaproval of guns in the house.....

Actually the Sig Sauer P238 Equinox she liked firing today can be hers whenever she is able to take legal possesion.

I need an excuse to go out and look for a Scorpion version anyway. [wink]

get her to agree to a class. Take it at MFS and make it a 'date night' with a dinner before. You can 'audit' the class for no cost with her paid admission.

Congrats! My wife understands my firearm collection/carrying and has gone with me to the range a few times, but has zero desire to own or carry. She has probably the strongest case for becoming the biggest anti, but instead is content to let me do what I think is right.

get her to agree to a class. Take it at MFS and make it a 'date night' with a dinner before. You can 'audit' the class for no cost with her paid admission.

This. You can sit with her for free.

Life is good when the wife is pro-2a, even better when she enjoys shooting:) ask me how I know:)

Now, sign her up for a Women on Target event and a safety class, and stop at the PD and pick up an application. No rush, no pressure, "just in case you want to get your license, cuz ya never know." If she goes all the way through, buy her HER OWN MkII or SR9 or whatever.

Just please, PLEASE don't give her a Mosin or 12ga or S&W500 to shoot next time out:) Slow and steady my brother:) And if she wants to do a "couples day" at the range because a "WoT" day would be too intimidating or some such, pm me and Lady Radtekk and I will be happy to host:) We don't have everything, but we have a few:) PM any time!

awesome.. I'm headed to MFS today with my wife for "date day" while the kids are in school.. Going to try out some more pistols so we can "make an informed purchase decision". LOL.

WoT are the best.. can't say enough about them.. Especially Auburn Sportsmans Club. Completely converted my wife from "meh" to "all in".

Actually the Sig Sauer P238 Equinox she liked firing today can be hers whenever she is able to take legal possesion.

I need an excuse to go out and look for a Scorpion version anyway. [wink]

Don't do it! Have her grow her own collection. Give one and they will all disappear. My SW Model 60 pro is now "hers" somehow and I have to ask to use my own gun when I go to the range. Oh well, just have to buy more I guess to replace it.

Very cool. As someone else said, don't buy her a gun. Let her choose one. If she likes one of yours, let her have it, you can replace it. I bought three handguns for my wife, she likes two of them, hated one of them.

We've had some great afternoons at the range, shooting as a couple is a blast. Somehow I always end up cleaning the guns though...

Great way to go!

My wife said she wanted her own gun so my son took her to Granite State.
She shot a couple difference weapons and walked out with a P398 Equinox.
After visiting the SIG Pro-shop in Epping we changed the grip to BRG

She now has her concealed carry permit and carries it most of the time.
In the meantime she has gone thru about 500 rounds.

She got a conceiled she carries it

Slow and steady my brother:) And if she wants to do a "couples day" at the range because a "WoT" day would be too intimidating or some such, pm me and Lady Radtekk and I will be happy to host:) We don't have everything, but we have a few:) PM any time!

What a gracious invitation, perhaps sometime in the future it will be our good fortune to meet you and your lady, but for now thank you for this selfless offer to strangers. [grin]

The date night is a good suggestion thank you -- she says any meal she does not have to cook tastes better (a saving grace for my cooking).

As for sitting in on a class that would be something I would only do if she requested it after being told of the option. There is no doubt my prompting is an impetus for this movement, but I want to keep it as organic to her as possible and help make it her achievement.

The mention of MFS, which does run an effective operation, raises another question -- she would have to make a decision whether she wanted to attend their (MFS) condensed time course, or one of the more involved day long options. Keeping in mind she is a complete beginner whose only other instruction has been mine, she might see a more small group oriented training operation as a benefit to her.

Last edited:
Folk's advice here about a slow and steady approach was spot on. We made a couple more trips to my club and had some more living room training time getting her comfortable.

As a result, I have just finished a morning on the firing line at MFS, while she is in their classroom for the basic pistol course. We will stop at the local cop shop on the way home and make an appointment for her to apply for her LTC.

Folk's advice here about a slow and steady approach was spot on. We made a couple more trips to my club and had some more living room training time getting her comfortable.

As a result, I have just finished a morning on the firing line at MFS, while she is in their classroom for the basic pistol course. We will stop at the local cop shop on the way home and make an appointment for her to apply for her LTC.

Congrats, now time for a bigger safe...

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Awesome.
Now take her to Manchester Firing Line like I did with my wife, let her shoot the Uzi on full-auto and you'll hear your wife talk about how much "Massachusetts SUCKS" literally every day for the next month.. or two!

[grin]

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom