• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My wife applied for her own LTC-A

I figured I would post this because I have seen topics before over the years of people wondering how to get their significant others invoved in shooting. Here is a low pressure method that worked for me:

So, my wife decided to apply for a LTC class A. The thing that makes me pretty happy about it is that I did not pressure her into getting it. She decided on her own that she likes shooting and believes in self defence enough to apply. I like that she is not doing it just because she thinks that I want her to get it. We have been married almost 6 years and it was about 4 years before that when we started dating. When I first introduced her to shooting early in our relationship she was not sure what she thought about it at first. Eventually she decided to go to the range with me to shoot and discovered that she enjoyed it. However, she was NOT interested in getting her own LTC. Over the years she kept comming to the range with me occasionally. At some point years ago I bought a Walther P22 (.22 cal) for her to shoot and she really liked it. Her trips to the range became more frequent after that. About a year after getting the Walther she asked if I would get a .22 revolver. She specifically wanted a snub nose. So I got her a little kit gun. Years went by and I never mentioned anything about her getting a LTC. Then sometime last year she mentioned that she now felt comfortable handling firearms on her own and did not feel that she needed me to watch over her to be safe with them. That's when she told me that she wanted her own LTC. I told her what she needed to do. She did the safety class and filled out her application. However, she did not setup an appointment with the local PD. The completed application stayed on the kitchen table for almost a year. During that time I never mentioned it. If she wanted it I figured she would do it without my intervention. Well, last week she had her appointment with the PD and she is now awaiting her LTC. No prompting from me.

Last edited:
Not too bad, huh? The family that shoots together... Hey, one quick ??? Do some of the local PD's require that the gun safety classes be less than a year old? Maybe I just dreamed it in a bad nightmare.

I thought so too but looked for that in the application. Found no such requirment. But we will see what happens. If they reject her app for that she will just take the damn class again. That would suck though.

Yup, they suck.
They require a you to take the class again for renewals, and forget about an Unrestricted Class A.

[sad2]

Now that's really bad, having to shell out the $$$ to retake the safety class just so you can renew a half-assed LTC. It ain't right.

my wife just took the safety course at our club. i have had her shooting now for 2 months all the while teaching her the safety side of gun handling. the next step is for her to get her ltc. she will be applying sometime this month. we have been married now for just under 6 yrs. she has no objections to guns and now wants to get into target shooting. she is a natural shot and is doing really good. the down side of it is she likes my 45 so im assuming that a new gun will be here before too long since i wont give mine up for her. lol. the upside for all of us is that it appears that more and more women are getting involved in the sport and that is a great thing to happen.

Congrats!

MGLs does NOT put an expiration date on the validity of a class certificate. SOME chiefs do however and they are allowed to abuse us by making up whatever rules they want under the guise of "suitability".

Although I insisted that my Wife get her LTC some 30+ years ago to cover us legally, I never pushed her to shoot and she didn't want to with very few exceptions. It was the fact that the Second Amendment Sisters ran an all-day women only course that peaked her interest, she started shooting, decided to join the gun club, then GOAL (as a Sustaining Member) and finally NRA (Life) all on her own. We just got back from the Appleseed at Pelham, strictly because SAS was going to have an all-women range there to do the Appleseed. So I did it also on the other range and we both learned a lot and are sore (but no longer muddy [wink] ).

Everyone has their own reasons, things that will "flip their switch", etc.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom