• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My version of a R1 Enhanced 1911

Decided to use a basic Remington R1 for a 1911 build with a dremel and hand tools. The stock trigger was ultra stiff, has some creep from the factory, and I also didn't like the short trigger. The sights were also off from the factory. Other than that, the gun is very tight and locks up nice. This is really a great starting point for a project.

Remington R1 - $946
Gun - $550
30 LPI Hand Checkering of front Strap - $0
Ed Brown Mainspring Housing Flat with Drop-In Maxi-Well Checkered 25 LPI Blue - $78
Wilson Combat High-Ride Beavertail Grip (298B) - $40 + $30 (jig)
Wilson Combat Wide Extended Thumb Safety - $31
NightHawk Plunger Tube - $15
Smith and Wesson Hammer - $10
Wilson Combat Extended Slide Stop 1911 - $32
Kensight Competition Front Sight 1911 Novak Cut Contoured Base .180" Height .118" Width Steel Black Serrated Blade with Fiber Optic - $30
Wilson Combat Bullet Proof Recoil Spring Plug - $15
NightHawk Custom Match Aluminum trigger - $25
Wilson Combat Factory Plus Hammer Strut + Pin - $5
Kensight Adjustable Defensive Rear Sight 1911 Novak LoMount Cut Steel Black Fully Serrated Blade - $60
Trigger Job - $0
Polished Internals - $0

Some pics of a stock R1 can be found online:
411545796.jpg

Went from stock (seen in first pic) to my version of a R1 Enhanced.

Attempted some 30LPI hand checkering (like on the AO1911 I did). Not super happy about this one either, but it will provide much needed grip. You can see in the 2nd pic where I chamfered the slide stop/takedown pin hole.

Polished the feed ramp on the frame.

Sear, disconnector, and 80 series components are Remington factory parts (with polishing and stoning where appropriate).

The hammer is a Smith and Wesson unit, and the trigger is a Nighthawk unit... surfaces are polished.

Wilson Combat beavertail was fit to the frame. Alot of work to the frame, and minor tweaks to the beavertail.

Mainspring Housing is an Ed Brown unit with removable magwell. Blending was done on the inside of mag well to match the frame.

Extended Slide release. had to do some some grinding on the underside as it would hit the grips and not allow the slide stop to be removed with the grips installed. I also ground down the pin for the flush look on the frame, and added two chamfers to the face that contacts the plunger to allow for a straight in assembly (no more drop in and swing which can cause the idiot scratch).

The Wilson Combat wide safety required minimal fitting... easy compared to the Ed Brown unit I put on the AO 1911. I had to do a little shaping to have the back adge line up with the frame and not create a "pinch' point on your hand.

I reused the Remington R1 stock bushing as it is a quality piece. i added a little melt job to get rid of the sharp edge.

I reused the Barrel (polished the throat), recoil spring and guide rod, sear spring, plunger assembly and mag catch/release. A Wilson Combat Recoil plug was used.

Some assembled pics prior to me giving it to Greg Derr for Cutting of the rear sight dovetail and I am going with some sort of all grey look... should look sweet with red fiber optic sight and the grips. You can see in the first 2 pics where i aligned the back of the slide and frame (as well as extractor) by grinding and polishing.

Last edited:
Thanks! In stock form it shot ok other than the sights being off and me not liking the trigger. I am sure it will shoot and look great once coated. It still currently has no rear sight as I will have Gre Derr machine a Novak cut for the rear sight. Unfortunately I don't have those capabilities at home. The gun is super tight in stock form... A real nice base to mod from.

Thanks. Looks even nicer with the Ed Brown magwell and would have been perfect if the barrel was flushed like I wanted.

Back
Top Bottom