• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My trip to Remsport in Ludlow, MA (lots of pics)

Number 6

NES Member
Couple of weeks ago I took a trip out to Remsport in Ludlow, not as bad of a drive as I had thought.

I had left my new LMT rifle with John at the last Marlborough Gun Show to weld and pin a brake and it was time to pick it up. I'm glad I decided to go out and pick it up as opposed to having him ship it. John was excited to give me a tour of the shop and so enthusiastic about showing me the different 1911s and projects they were working on.

Below are some of the pictures from my visit.

Rows and rows of 1911 frames of EVERY configuration you can think of
DSC00001.jpg

DSC00002.jpg

DSC00003.jpg

The stainless steel commander tactical frame which John is selling in the Dealer classifieds
DSC00004.jpg

Rear of the 1911 tactical frame
DSC00006.jpg

DSC00008.jpg

DSC00009.jpg

Government stainless steel polished custom 1911 for range duty
DSC00010.jpg

DSC00011.jpg

Carry 1911 officer frame John had actually built for himself
DSC00012.jpg

DSC00013.jpg

Awaiting customer pick up
DSC00014.jpg

Very cool sniper configured AR15
DSC00015.jpg

DSC00017.jpg

More shots of that polished government frame 1911 which John built in a range configuration
Look at the size of that safety and mag release!
DSC00018.jpg

DSC00019.jpg

These are frames right next to John's bench awaiting fitting with a slide
DSC00020.jpg

a slide just back from being oxide finished
DSC00021.jpg

More frames back from final oxide or anodized finish awaiting final fitting and final assembly
DSC00022.jpg

John with a Finnish WWII vintage 9mm sub gun..no joke, it must have weighed 10 pounds empty...and Yes, its for sale
DSC00026.jpg

That snail drum magazine holds 90 rounds of 9mm ammo...try lugging that across the eastern front
DSC00027.jpg

DSC00028.jpg

DSC00029.jpg

John and I with my LMT with newly installed Surefire brake
DSC00031.jpg

John Lawlor in front of his workbench...the gracious host
DSC00034.jpg

Last edited:
It's an impressive place, isn't it? I've been there several times myself. (Living one town over makes that easy [smile])

Johns a great guy, very impressive shop too. Picked up my NES lower there recently. Might be going back soon to buy a 1911 frame to build up.

John is absolutely a great guy. He probably spent an hour and a half showing me around the stockrooms and workshops and explaining different ongoing projects.

We should all love and be enthusiastic about our work as this man. If anyone is thinking about driving out there...it's like that store "Build a Bear" at the mall...except for 1911s. [grin]

Number 6
Andrew

Thanks John for the tour if you're reading!

John is top shelf.

Nice pics but there are 2 things I do not like about those 1911 frames he is selling. First. A rail on a 1911 looks like crap. My opinion. Second. By the time you get done buying and fitting parts for the frames you could have bought a Les Baer or Ed Brown complete! My opinion.

Nice pics but there are 2 things I do not like about those 1911 frames he is selling. First. A rail on a 1911 looks like crap. My opinion. Second. By the time you get done buying and fitting parts for the frames you could have bought a Les Baer or Ed Brown complete! My opinion.

Valid points from your perspective. But buying the parts and learning how to put them safely and correctly together gives you more pride of ownership.

My opinion.

Whenever I go out to see John at Remsport I have to lock up my credit card.
It is always enjoyable spending some time with John & Ron.

This is an excellent trip report. I have Homer Simpson drool.

Can't wait until the kid is old enough to visit. Yep... it'll be a while (he's 1).

optioning CAN make a reasonable gun expensive, like buying a car.

But the "could have bought a Les Baer or Ed Brown" does ot apply to MA residents.

yes John is a great guy.

He and I both took Patrol Rifle Instructor re certification at Smith & Wesson the week of Oct 5th last month.

Great guy and I was glad to get to know him better.

Rob

I did a 5 inch polished SS from John this year. John set it up like I asked and I finished it off.

This how I ordered it from John. I got the frame fitted to the slide and the slide to the barrel and with the Ejector and Plunger tube already staked. Then I also asked him to fit and blend the beaver tail.

John is very easy to work with and is a wealth of information. I wanted to do this, the easy way and fast, that's why I ordered it that way. Actually not only is it faster and easier it's also cheaper that way. To blend the beaver tail other parts have to be installed and you get those also included in the price.

If you take your time and look around the internet you can find things like a Ed Brown 1911 rebuilding kit for $18.00 which gives you all the main spring parts, magazine catch lock, plunger parts, barrel link pin and some other small parts.

You would think that when you order a Magazine release or a Main spring housing it would come with all the parts, they don't. I found out that hard way on my 1st build years ago. you have to order every single thing right down to the smallest part.

Get a Brownells 1911 catalog and shop for prices against it. Over all if you take your time and shop right, it should cost you right around a $1000.00 to do the whole pistol.

Eh hem, Who gave you permission to post a picture of my 1911[smile].

I'm so happy I didn't see this post until today. After I picked up the parts. I'm more then happy with everything John and Remsport have done for me over the past year. I've turned to John for alot of stuff. So today was the day I went to pick up my 1911 parts so I can finish the build. (finished it a few minutes ago)

In my opinion it came out perfect, just the way I wanted it (see picture below). BTW, thanks for the picture.

I also grabbed the rest of the parts I needed to complete my NES 2009 build. Well, now that I have all the parts, I'll have to start the build. In the end mine will wind up being almost 100% remsport AR-15 with the lower, upper and barrel. Did I mention I picked up my 20 inch shiny barrel from the group buy today.

Sig2009. I agree with the Tactical rail. My idea of a 1911 is as classic as possible. However, I see the need and use for the rail on one if someone would desire.

I'm not going to tell you why your comment about the Les Baer and the Ed Brown statement is funny. But you have no idea what your talking about in this case. Price was much better and quality is same.

If I want it and Remsport Sells it, I'm buying from them.

Well, I'm off to shoot my new toy. Now only if I could find some .45 to shoot.

Couple of weeks ago I took a trip out to Remsport in Ludlow, not as bad of a drive as I had thought.

DSC00017.jpg

Graftyman,
A new LB premier II from Proload cost about $1600 shipped. What does a kit like this run. I'm not challenging you, just trying to fill in the blanks.

A question for the OP. Why on gods earth would you have a brake pinned to an AR barrel? Are you in CT?

Don

He lives in Ma. State law says no flash hiders, brake is ok, but must be pinned/welded.

I'm not going to talk prices, spec out what you want with John. i'm sure he'll be beating LB and EB's prices.

Graftyman,
A new LB premier II from Proload cost about $1600 shipped. What does a kit like this run. I'm not challenging you, just trying to fill in the blanks.

A question for the OP. Why on gods earth would you have a brake pinned to an AR barrel? Are you in CT?

Don

Graftyman said it....in MA, only criminals are allowed to run around with un-welded brakes...or GASP!!!....flash suppressors. Law abidings citizens apparently have no legal need to hide their flash.

Number 6

Graftyman,

Don

And Graftyman - GREAT looking 1911! Can you tell us how you spec'ed it out?

Last edited:
Sorry about that. I didn't realize you guys needed to neuter your muzzles also.

Does a pre-ban receiver get you the ability to configure your guns as originally intended like in CT?

Don

p.s. don't forget the silver solder alternative. Its ATF approved as a means of permanently affixing something to the muzzle. From the ATF NFA handbook:

NOTE: Any muzzle attachment such as a compensator, choke device, muzzle break, etc., is not included in the barrel length measurement unless the attachment is permanently affixed to the barrel. Acceptable methods for permanently attaching a device to a shotgun barrel are deep penetrating, full fusion, gas or electric steel seam welds or high temperature silver solder.

Last edited:
Hi everyone I will be in the shop this Saturday the 21st. from 10:30 AM on
Stop by. I will also be available for NES Lower pick up, so come and get your NES Lower.
Thanks
John
413 579 1994

Back
Top Bottom