• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My Tranny is leaking

indeed.

It's paid off. I'm selling it. it must go.

A year ago I was in for over 1K for tie rods and ball joints, now this. I like it, but it's a f***ing piece of shit. 2015 with only 47K miles on it.

Paid off, and Carvana tells me I can get $28K. so as soon as I get my MA title converted to a CA title, it's f***ing gonezo as Carvana tells me they don't like when a reg and title don't match...f***ing gay.....

Tempted to find a way to band-aid it and let it be Carvana's problem, but not sure I want to f*** over the next owner like that....

Interesting, my 2015 Wrangler Unlimited with 85k miles only needed one repair & it was to replace the clutch. But I blame that on daily commuting in Boston traffic for burning my clutch.

Do you know if there is dye in your AC system , depending where the condensation/evaporator drain is ?
Could be coolant also.
Need a picture

Brake fluid has a yellow look? Hydraulic slave cylinder leaking.
Gear oil is pretty thick and smells, some gear oils are bright gold looking
kind of funny that you say that bc the AC has been acting weird lately. like hissing and shit and blowing tepid air then cold air then tepid again.

The fluid feely oily. It really looks like it's leaking from that case split, but I guess it's possible it's leaking from somewhere else and just following that seam.

Can't wait to get rid of this POS. I'm ordering my F350 Platinum Tremor this week so should have it by end of Jan/early Feb.

kind of funny that you say that bc the AC has been acting weird lately. like hissing and shit and blowing tepid air then cold air then tepid again.

The fluid feely oily. It really looks like it's leaking from that case split, but I guess it's possible it's leaking from somewhere else and just following that seam.

Can't wait to get rid of this POS. I'm ordering my F350 Platinum Tremor this week so should have it by end of Jan/early Feb.

Gear oil has a yellow to yellowish green tint to it. If it was dye from the AC system then it will glow under a black-light. You put dye in the AC system then put on yellow glasses and use a black-light to look for the leak. I'm betting it is leaking gear oil from the input shaft seal.

Their all POS,
That said if who ever you mentioned will give you what you want for it dump it. Anyone I mean Anyone that buys a jeep today can not possibly nOT know what a pos they are/can be. Theres a few high millage ones roaming through my shop but most are a money pit. Especially after installing lift kits and large tires.
So warning to all, jeeps fall apart and break with out any use! Lol
Now if you aint breaking it your not using it right!

I just looked up the msrp on that model. 😳

Probably still worth $40k somehow.
I paid $31k for a Tacoma off road edition in 2015. 110k on it now only had to replace a radiator housing that leaked with it had 97k on it ($280) and just changed the oil every 5k.....and one set of brake pads at 80k. Replaced the battery myself last summer no biggie. Put a set of bf Goodrich all terrain k2 on it at 70k and those don't even show much uneven wear no cupping.......just rotate with each oil change. I'll need a set in about a year but thats good ill get 50k miles out of an off road tire.

Its been a great reliable little truck. Drives like new not even a rattle. I asked my mechanic last oil change to go through it well......check belts tie rods bearings etc. He said everything is tight and even the original belt has life in it still. I'll just keep driving it. Absolutely would buy another one if this one eventually gives me trouble but for now and what I hear about the Tacoma it will be years before I need to shop around for another one my commute is short and I only put about 10k a year on it.

Last edited:

Pag oil from the compressor.
Unless theres a junction right there, like a rear a/c option, the only other yellow oily fluid that would be there is hyd oil or brake fluid

not paying MSRP.

I have ford "x-plan" pricing so getting it about 6K below sticker. Carvana is giving me 28K for the jeep and I'll put another 10k down.
nobody pays msrp I know that

Do you need a 1 ton truck?

The way I see it:

77,000 minus the special pricing 6,000 is 71,000. Minus the $28,000 for the jeep is $49,000. Then $10k down your financing $39? Hell you could get a new Tacoma off road almost free and clear no payment for what carvana is giving you for the jeep! New off road tacos are found for $32k. They are great trucks. 110k on mine and no issues other than a $280 radiator housing in the 6 years I've had it.

Last edited:
And I was thinking it was a leak at the Adadicktomy scar.
But seriously, One need not be a skilled mechanic to replace that gasket. I replaced the transmission on my '93 YJ with the help of a friend.
Primary reason for paying someone to do it.

now that I got your attention, I'm sorry to disappoint you that this is in fact not a thread about trannies and money shots.

No, it appears the transmission in my 2015 Jeep 6 spd is leaking fluid. There's a seam basically in the middle of the tranny that is seeping. I'm assuming it's probably just a cheap gasket, but wondering if anyone has any idea what kind of repair bill I'm looking at...I'm assuming labor is going to ass rape me if the whole tranny has to come out.
Good luck, The 6 speeds in the wranglers suck they have many known issues that Fiat Chrysler won't address or fix. I had to force chrysler to buy back my 2016 rubicon because the transmission was always f***ed up even after they fixed it multiple times, I had a dealer service manager literally tell me to just drive it until it fails completely and then they would replace it. I had an 05 with a 6 speed too that was absolute crap, always sounded like it was about to fail.

Op, you are in Cali, chances are thst some Greenpeace/ Liberal / Trump hating lesbo will buy it.

Stick a MAGA sticker on it to stop the leak and sell it.

nobody pays msrp I know that

Do you need a 1 ton truck?

The way I see it:

77,000 minus the special pricing 6,000 is 71,000. Minus the $28,000 for the jeep is $49,000. Then $10k down your financing $39? Hell you could get a new Tacoma off road almost free and clear no payment for what carvana is giving you for the jeep! New off road tacos are found for $32k. They are great trucks. 110k on mine and no issues other than a $280 radiator housing in the 6 years I've had it.
Pretty sure no one has ever cross-shopped an F350 and a Tacoma. The former is not only more capable as a work truck but it's also much, much nicer inside.

Pretty sure no one has ever cross-shopped an F350 and a Tacoma. The former is not only more capable as a work truck but it's also much, much nicer inside.
Thats why I asked if a 1 ton was needed. Hes going from a jeep to a 1ton truck so made an assumption it may not be necessary but a "want".

Transmission is shot.

$4800 for remanufactured installed.

He said they can pull it and open it up and try to seal it for $1467 but if they get in there and it still needs to be replaced then that obviously makes it more expensive.

Gonna get a second opinion tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom