My Tranny is leaking

Let me fill tou in, there all POS assembled with the lowest priced parts.
Take care of them a little and they tend to be ok , out side known issues.
Like toyota frames,
Bottom line they are no nicer than the factory warranty. After that warranties are a calculated risk for the warranty companies. They know X out of Y people will even remember to use thier warranty A out B items are not covered and they usually sell enough policies to cover the handful of claims

Shop supplies are a standard , most shops have a min amount they charge . Your filters for example
i have this little spat all the time. "Nothing takes 5 minutes"
Tires , ugh unless your a huge tire outlet not a ton of profit there. Look at what a good tire machine and balancer go for. Do a ROI on that.

Unless the small shop owns the property is pretty dumb how expensive it is to run an small shop.
So in the end the small little jobs like air filters, wiper blades light bulbs get a larger up kick in profit.
Your goal as a DIY 'r is to save money.
shops goal is to pay all the pills and cover payroll for 4+ workers.

i have not needed the services of a engineer since my land was surveyed. i could not believe the cost for 2 guys walking around looking through small spotting scopes on tripods, lol.

In the end we all have the chance to say no.

now as far as shops that make shit up or lie about needed work, I dont get it. i have a parking lot full of cars that dont need shit made up or exaggerated about to sell repairs. Owners are pretty good on Fn up the cars as it is.

Its all good, be thankful if you have the ability to diy.

oh and as a mechanic to a engineer, FU for some of the dumbass designs i have to deal with .....lol

The cost of property , bills, insurance and the cost of good dependable help was/is what kept me from ever opening a shop in massachusetts.
Find my a decent 4 bay shop in a good location thats not run down and needs all new equipment that wont require several investors and a boat load of your own money. Good luck.
How many new repair shops have you seen pop up in the last 10 years.

found the “quote” I was way wrong and it was way more.

And if any of you can actually justify this. Please do. I paid $40 for both filters and WTF is a power steering flush kit???

I quit wrenching to be come an engineer as I agree, f’ us... I’ve said the said as you many, many times.353F4A81-11C8-407B-B32B-F9205F341318.png

and what do you need to charge $28 in shop supply’s for??? Red rags?

Last edited:

And if any of you can actually justify this. Please do. I paid $40 for both filters and WTF is a power steering flush kit???

I quit wrenching to be come an engineer as I agree, f’ us... I’ve said the said as you many, many times.View attachment 422191

Just remember the shop is their to do work for those that cant or wont and turn a profit.
I cant justify anyones bill.
The only thing I can say is any business needs to charge what they need to charge to pay bills, payroll, taxes, rent , upkeep and on and on.
Im sure there is account here that might be able to figure it out better.
Take all that in and see what the business has to bring in everyday just to stay open.

power stearing flush kit. I assume its the fluid/flush treatment maybe some clamps or seals ?

i dont do much in the way of "flushes" the equipment is expensive and 98% of customers dont do it. I flush my own brake fluid before it turns black, about 3 years. Coolant unless specified goes a long way in newer cars these days. Transmission flushes are good to do , but with out the proper machine its time consuming and messy. It will take up to 20qt for most to get the fluid any where "flushed" doing the drain and fill.

its like reloading , you dont really save money if you factor in your time, bills, rent , taxes or treat it like a business.

As far as those red rags, buying them and cleaning them yourself is a no go.
Uniform companies charge a lot, IMHO

call around and get a quote 4 guys, 12 uniforms 3 jackets each, 4 bags of rags and 6 fender covers.
You going to find time to bring uniforms to be cleaned? Are you going to tell your workers to bring thier own uniforms and rags.

Last question you need to turn a profit.
What would be appropriate mark up on parts only that you would be happy with.

Last edited:
Just remember the shop is their to do work for those that cant or wont and turn a profit.
I cant justify anyones bill.
The only thing I can say is any business needs to charge what they need to charge to pay bills, payroll, taxes, rent , upkeep and on and on.
Im sure there is account here that might be able to figure it out better.
Take all that in and see what the business has to bring in everyday just to stay open.

power stearing flush kit. I assume its the fluid/flush treatment maybe some clamps or seals ?

i dont do much in the way of "flushes" the equipment is expensive and 98% of customers dont do it. I flush my own brake fluid before it turns black, about 3 years. Coolant unless specified goes a long way in newer cars these days. Transmission flushes are good to do , but with out the proper machine its time consuming and messy. It will take up to 20qt for most to get the fluid any where "flushed" doing the drain and fill.

its like reloading , you dont really save money if you factor in your time, bills, rent , taxes or treat it like a business.
I feel for you man...my father had a shop. Wanted me to get into it. When he sold his business, I took over some old customers of his and did work out of the house (have a lift). Even picking and choosing who and when and what jobs I was going to do it was a pain in the ass....it's a filthy ass job too.

One thing I noticed you didn't mention, not sure if it is still a thing like it was back in the 80s-90s... chasing people for money. I remember giving estimates, and even when the job would come in or even under that price, they'd try to haggle you down. Bounced checks. People would come and try to take their car without paying, etc...

My buddy has owned two Wranglers and the stories he told me of the crap that went wrong with them was enough to keep me away. I loved my Grand Cherokee Overland, but the damn thing was in the shop every month for recalls or issues fixed under warranty, something a 2-3yo vehicle shouldn’t do. Jeep quality and reliability are piss poor.

Meanwhile my wife’s 10yo Honda Pilot with 150k miles has only ever needed a power steering pump and regular maintenance... and is still driving strong with my kid behind the wheel now. I don’t disagree about Wrangler resale value, but that seemed to be based on the stupidity of consumers and a lack of competition in the segment. With the Ford Bronco coming next year, Jeep will now have real competition in the segment and I expect Wrangler resale value to normalize and drop once consumers realize how crappy Jeep quality and reliability is and have an actual choice other than Jeep for a 4x4 with a removable top.

Jeep owners are like abused spouses... always defending the crap they go through, until they finally leave and realize you don’t have to live like that.

The 4R and FJ cruisers were competitive. However, they were also always priced out of contention due to the massive proliferation of shit into cars.

If they sold a base model FJ cruiser with nothing more than a $200 pioneer bluetooth stereo in the dash and AC, they would make a killing sniping away Jeeps market share.

I feel for you man...my father had a shop. Wanted me to get into it. When he sold his business, I took over some old customers of his and did work out of the house (have a lift). Even picking and choosing who and when and what jobs I was going to do it was a pain in the ass....it's a filthy ass job too.

One thing I noticed you didn't mention, not sure if it is still a thing like it was back in the 80s-90s... chasing people for money. I remember giving estimates, and even when the job would come in or even under that price, they'd try to haggle you down. Bounced checks. People would come and try to take their car without paying, etc...
o h yeah the non payers, can I give you 50 a weeek sometimes, CC charge backs....another thing in the mix. I dont run my shop if I did I would have the owners of the vehicles sign the invoice and no pay no car...

I quit wrenching to be come an engineer as I agree, f’ us... I’ve said the said as you many, many times.

$59 labor to change a battery sounds like a rip off but then where is the battery? My daughter had a 2000 Chrysler 300M that needed a battery. I grabbed a battery at Costco for like $85. Go to change it and find out you need to jack up the car, remove passenger front tire, remove inner fender well, play Houdini trying to get the cables off the battery and holder unbolted, finally slide out the old battery and then put the new one in. Took me an hour to do the job. In that case I'll pay the $59.

$59 labor to change a battery sounds like a rip off but then where is the battery? My daughter had a 2000 Chrysler 300M that needed a battery. I grabbed a battery at Costco for like $85. Go to change it and find out you need to jack up the car, remove passenger front tire, remove inner fender well, play Houdini trying to get the cables off the battery and holder unbolted, finally slide out the old battery and then put the new one in. Took me an hour to do the job. In that case I'll pay the $59.

Left front. Out in the open. Could not be easier. Two bolts for the hold down and then the clamps.

Autozone will install one for free.

No idea but I dont see them blindly taking cars with just a curbside inspection with out any if ands or buts in the paper work
Well, the Jeep is gone. Carvana came to take it away today. I never fixed the coolant leak. The guy walked around the Jeep, took a walk around video and some pics. I signed the title over, signed a contract and got a check for $26,700 on the spot. In the month it took me to get my MA title converted to CA, I lost market value on the Jeep but no big deal.

The contract was simple, leaves no recourse to them to come back at me for any issues they find after the fact. Basically attesting to a handful of statements such as "Seller represents odometer reading is accurate and not tampered with", "seller confirms he is the only owner", "There are no liens", "The vehicle has never been in a major collision or been reconstructed or have any salvage history" etc. Super simple process.

Now I have no vehicle until the truck I ordered gets in. Hopefully mid Feb.

Yellow doesn't sound like transmission fluid. Sure it's not coolant leaking over the transmission and dripping from that spot?

Whelp, just read the rest of the thread and I see this mystery has been solved. I was late, but at least I was right... and now I know that I know cars better than most people on this forum. No one brought up coolant until OP got the second opinion from a shop at post #113.

Back
Top Bottom