My Swiss Rifle Collection (so far)

USMA-82

NES Member
A cold, snowy evening seemed like a good time to haul out the Swiss Ladies, so here they are:

SwissLadies002.jpg

From top to bottom:

Model 1869/71 Swiss Vetterli with Model 1871 socket bayonet
Model 1889 Schmidt-Rubin with Model 1889 bayonet
Model 96/11 Schmidt-Rubin
Model 1911 Schmidt-Rubin
Model K11 Schmidt-Rubin Carbine with Model 1914 Pioneer (sawback) bayonet
Model K31 Schmidt-Rubin Carbine with Model 1918 Bayonet

My apologies to Milsurps 4 Me for not having all my bayonets yet - I'm working on it!

Nice. I only have an 89/11 bayonet w/out a scabbard. Slings first for me, bayonets second. I have though been working on getting ammo pouches lately.

Wow!

Those are some fine looking rifles. My K31's metal is nice, but the buttstock has that 'dragged through the Alps' look. No bayonet for it, but I did get a lefty bolt handle.

The important things are: are the serial numbers all matching, and does it have a "like-new" condition bore? I've seen very few of the swiss rifles that didn't meet both of these standards, even if the stocks were a little beaver-chewed. But parts are abundant at numerous places on the internet, and they shoot great.

I had to handload some low-power rounds for the 1889 (GP90 level vs. GP11 modern ammo), but on the first visit to the range I was knocking out 1" groups at 50 yds. I'll live with that!

It was nice getting a milsurp that had all the matching parts still with it - metal is about 75%, bore looks perfect, and it shoots better than I do, at least with the surplus Swiss ammo. I've got some handloads that I still need to try out in it. The stock does indeed look like the angry beaver was after it, but it's staying the way it is. Somehow, it looks right that way!

K31_lefty.JPG

Last edited:
That's pretty neat! I've never seen one "adapted" for left-hand use.

You just reminded me - I've got to find some swiss milsurp ammo before it disappears completely.

I've seen a few lefty mods here and there but thats the best one.

BTW, not only do you need more GP11 ammo, but you need a Zfk to finish it all off. http://www.swissrifles.com/sr/sniper/ [smile]

Back
Top Bottom