• If you enjoy the forum please consider supporting it by signing up for a NES Membership  The benefits pay for the membership many times over.

My SVT-40

jpm

Picked this beauty up from the LGS a couple of weeks ago probably a day after it arrived. Couldn't believe it was still there considering the condition, and I think I got a great deal at an even $1000 for it.

Looks like it hasn't been fired more than literally a few rounds since it was rearsenaled last. The plum bluing on the bolt was pristine including on the bolt face with just a couple of flecks of brass on the face. Nice shiney bore with strong rifling too. Bluing is probably 90-95%, even the muzzle brake is pristine. Cleaning rod looks unused.

The stock has the Tula star stamped in it with a 1942 date which differs from the Izzy receiver with the 1941 date, but the s/n stamped on the other side matches the receiver. Lots of interesting inspector stamps on the stock too as you can see. There's even a small Tula star on the buttplate. Picked up a nice Russian sling for it at the Marlboro show for about $22 to complete the look.

All the numbers match except for the magazine, unfortunately. But even small parts like the gas piston, bolt, bolt carrier are all electropencilled with the receiver s/n. Trigger guard is stamped with the s/n.

It also has the tiniest import marks I've ever seen. They are on the rail below the bolt carrier and behind the bolt handle when its locked open. Almost looks like a scratch on the first picture, virtually invisible!

Put several packets of Russian silver tip through it at the range the other day, functioned perfectly and was a total blast to shoot with very little recoil. Sights were almost dead on, just needed a slight windage adjustment to zero it at 50 yards, but had no trouble pinging the steel at 100 yds. This is a FUN rifle, I highly recommend it if you're thinking about one.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• P4193054.jpg
    P4193054.jpg
    133.9 KB · Views: 205
  • P4193055.jpg
    P4193055.jpg
    192.7 KB · Views: 201
  • P4193056.jpg
    P4193056.jpg
    108.6 KB · Views: 200
  • P4193061.jpg
    P4193061.jpg
    194.5 KB · Views: 203
  • P4193058.jpg
    P4193058.jpg
    213.6 KB · Views: 201
  • P4193065.jpg
    P4193065.jpg
    179.7 KB · Views: 203
  • P4193059.jpg
    P4193059.jpg
    158.5 KB · Views: 199
  • P4193071.jpg
    P4193071.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 198
  • P4193070.jpg
    P4193070.jpg
    122.3 KB · Views: 199
  • P4193064.jpg
    P4193064.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 197
This was designed to be sold for civilian use. There is next to no historical value aside it being an SVT-40. Wrong color bolt/charging system. Its a great gun but not for the price. In canada you can get from for 400 dollars, here I bought my war model for 1100. 1941 models have weird muzzle devices, does yours have the bayonet lug? Also look at the insides for amazing cave-russian-metal-drawings or just their amazing machining work. Its mind blowing how much was over looked hen they cut the parts.

Sorry if this sounds mean in any way, I'm not trying to be. I'm just telling you how it is. Also check if you can push your safety all the way to the other side. Normally they put SVT-40s into AVT-40 stocks for whatever reasons.

yeah if I was a canadian citizen I could get one for $400 but I can't get one from canada for $400 so not sure what your point there is. And I'm pretty sure they didn't make them in 1941 for civilian use.

Yes it does have the early muzzle brake and bayonet lug, and the stock doesn't seem to be an AVT-40 stock since the safety doesn't go over to the select fire side. Tried that before I even bought it, though it does have the AVT style cartouche.

Yours below has the same color bolt and same style charging handle as mine so I'm not sure why you think its wrong. Its just a little more worn/darkened than mine but clearly has the classic plum colored blueing and handle.

HMm76R7.jpg

Last edited:
no, never made for civs, sorry. Its an arsenal recapture refinish to be sold for the civ market. They are really over priced here in the states was my point. I have a PSL and for the price its also not worth it. I feel like investing in a DP28 for 7.62x54 fun.

lXQNEGG.jpg

What ever, welcome to the club of SVT owners.

no, never made for civs, sorry. Its an arsenal recapture refinish to be sold for the civ market. They are really over priced here in the states was my point.

oh yeah, I knew it was essentially a mixmaster (stock and front swivel at least) not a collectible piece per se. I wanted a nice shooter that I wouldn't worry about shooting though so I was fine with that. And totally agree on being overpriced too, I just pretend the canadian ones are my imagination playing tricks on me [wink]

The SVT I posted pictures of is actually exactly yours too. Its a 1941 recapture re-arsenal re..everythinged. I sold it though and kept my 1940 SVT that's not refinished. I'll fish out pictures of it some other time. Sorry about the elitism/hostility I really don't mean to be in any way and don't want you to think I am. Lets pretend Canadian imports in general don't exist at all. Though I'm sure somebody with a small boat or hell just doesn't mind a treck through the woods could bring us some cheap SVTs back...Enjoy it though, I've put around 1k rounds through mine and it just eats everything. Though, enjoy the cleanup.

The plumb color is actually the refinish on it. They were originally made silver in color.

Difficult to find a nice refurb at or under $1,000 these days, so no worries. And as purchased for shooting purposes, get it out and make it bang, bang, bang!

no, never made for civs, sorry. Its an arsenal recapture refinish to be sold for the civ market. They are really over priced here in the states was my point. I have a PSL and for the price its also not worth it.

Not sure on the intent for SVT40s being specifically rearsenalled for civilian sales here but the PSL rifles here were definitely intended to be sold to the civilian market. Most are parts guns or were rejected by Romanian military for defects.

The SVT I posted pictures of is actually exactly yours too. Its a 1941 recapture re-arsenal re..everythinged. I sold it though and kept my 1940 SVT that's not refinished. I'll fish out pictures of it some other time. Sorry about the elitism/hostility I really don't mean to be in any way and don't want you to think I am. Lets pretend Canadian imports in general don't exist at all. Though I'm sure somebody with a small boat or hell just doesn't mind a treck through the woods could bring us some cheap SVTs back...Enjoy it though, I've put around 1k rounds through mine and it just eats everything. Though, enjoy the cleanup.

Oh ok, that makes more sense now. I am curious to see the 1940 you've got then, love seeing the as issued milsurps. Believe me I've thought about ways to get one from Canada but wouldn't chance the jail time involved, cuban cigars are one thing but an SVT would be a totally different ballgame.

Yeah the cleanup was not a lot of fun, took a good hour I think start to finish. I do like their small gas piston design for that reason though, sure is easier to clean out that little bit than say an Egyptian Hakim or something.

Just took mine to the range today. Gas setting was perfect. Ejecting shells about 10 feet at a 2 o'clock position.
It has a bit of a recoil though. [shocked] Sites are fairly accurate, eyes aren't though... 20 rounds and I was headed to the pistol range.
Overall very happy with it and glad to add it to the collection.

Back
Top Bottom